Jump to content
SportsWrath

GM/HC thread...


Sephiroth
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I think it's that time.  Who would you all like to see come in as a GM/HC combo, assuming Judge has worked his way out of New York? 

I have to admit, this thread is as much about ideas of who I might wanna take a look at as much as it's about who I think would be good.  As I've said in other threads, I'd really love to see Joe Hortiz from the Ravens.  He's been the assistant GM for the last seven or eight years, and despite being under 50 has spent over 20 years in the organization.  He's learned under Ozzie Newsome, and those teams always draft really well. 

For HC, I'd love for him to take either Martendale or Roman, but I'd really lean more Roman.  Those Ravens teams always seem to develop talent;  look at Lamar Jackson coming out of college as a raw talent as opposed to now, or Orlando Brown developing into an All-Pro tackle.  Hell, look at how they fleeced us for a loser like Bredeson (or maybe their coaching was just better and that's why he looked like the better player last year).  The thing about Roman is he actually does what Judge said he would do;  he changes up his scheme to fit what his players do best... look at how different that Ravens offense was once they took Flacco out and inserted Jackson into the starting lineup. 

Martendale might have the edge with the Maras because of his interview a few years back. 

Aside from that, I keep hearing good things about Joe Shoen from the BIlls.  They turned it around pretty quickly, but I look at that team and I'm not sure it's really built to last... I think they may be a flash in the pan for now.  There's  Mike Borgonzi who I hear a lot in a team-up with Eric Bienemy, but honestly I don't trust either of those guys (KC really seems to have caught lightning in a bottle).  People also seem to love Ed Dodds, but to me he's way too young and inexperienced and we just had that shitshow with Judge and co. 

Who are you all leaning towards? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Co-signed on roman.  I thought Dave Caldwell did a great job rebuilding Jacksonville before they took the reigns from him and it all fell apart again.  Fournette at 4 was kind of a red flag though 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GM I'd go with the Colts Assistant GM Ed Dodds or Will McClay the VP of personel and scouting for the Cowboys.

Dodds has.worked wonders for the Colts cap and is apparently heavily involved in scouting.

McClay is the reason why the Cowboys drafts are always so great and Jones has been throwing truckloads of money at him to keep him around, he would be my number one pick for GM. He also has coaching and scouting experience. 

For HC it would have to be someone who would the new GM would want to bring in. 

I could see Dodds prying Brady the Colts OC who's been among a number of names for a HC shot in the near future. A guy who knows offenses inside and out would finally get this O moving.

I don't know who McClay would bring in but I'd trust who he would pick, maybe someone with ties to the Cowboys. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

GM I'd go with the Colts Assistant GM Ed Dodds or Will McClay the VP of personel and scouting for the Cowboys.

Dodds has.worked wonders for the Colts cap and is apparently heavily involved in scouting.

McClay is the reason why the Cowboys drafts are always so great and Jones has been throwing truckloads of money at him to keep him around, he would be my number one pick for GM. He also has coaching and scouting experience. 

For HC it would have to be someone who would the new GM would want to bring in. 

I could see Dodds prying Brady the Colts OC who's been among a number of names for a HC shot in the near future. A guy who knows offenses inside and out would finally get this O moving.

I don't know who McClay would bring in but I'd trust who he would pick, maybe someone with ties to the Cowboys. 

I really like the way the colts have drefted and signed players since 2017. They certainly know about prioritizing and building an OL, THEN getting a RB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Giants owners have Patriots think on their brains.  Any detritus from Belichick's organization is hoovered up by them.  For me the Patriots organization is a combo of catching lightning in a bottle and being consistent with a top-level coach at the helm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

The Giants owners have Patriots think on their brains.  Any detritus from Belichick's organization is hoovered up by them.  For me the Patriots organization is a combo of catching lightning in a bottle and being consistent with a top-level coach at the helm.

I am enjoying their rebuild. 10-6 and who knows what can happen in the playoffs.

The Giants just really need to do it their own way. Emulate themselves, not others. 

I am not sure if Mara is capable thinking outside the box. 

If there was one organization they should model after, it should be the Steelers. 3 losing seasons since 1992. They hired Tomlin from outside the organization, with zero connections. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

So I think it's that time.  Who would you all like to see come in as a GM/HC combo, assuming Judge has worked his way out of New York? 

I have to admit, this thread is as much about ideas of who I might wanna take a look at as much as it's about who I think would be good.  As I've said in other threads, I'd really love to see Joe Hortiz from the Ravens.  He's been the assistant GM for the last seven or eight years, and despite being under 50 has spent over 20 years in the organization.  He's learned under Ozzie Newsome, and those teams always draft really well. 

For HC, I'd love for him to take either Martendale or Roman, but I'd really lean more Roman.  Those Ravens teams always seem to develop talent;  look at Lamar Jackson coming out of college as a raw talent as opposed to now, or Orlando Brown developing into an All-Pro tackle.  Hell, look at how they fleeced us for a loser like Bredeson (or maybe their coaching was just better and that's why he looked like the better player last year).  The thing about Roman is he actually does what Judge said he would do;  he changes up his scheme to fit what his players do best... look at how different that Ravens offense was once they took Flacco out and inserted Jackson into the starting lineup. 

Martendale might have the edge with the Maras because of his interview a few years back. 

Aside from that, I keep hearing good things about Joe Shoen from the BIlls.  They turned it around pretty quickly, but I look at that team and I'm not sure it's really built to last... I think they may be a flash in the pan for now.  There's  Mike Borgonzi who I hear a lot in a team-up with Eric Bienemy, but honestly I don't trust either of those guys (KC really seems to have caught lightning in a bottle).  People also seem to love Ed Dodds, but to me he's way too young and inexperienced and we just had that shitshow with Judge and co. 

Who are you all leaning towards? 

Anyone coming from the Ravens would be an upgrade because Newsome has been grooming that group for years. Hortiz is the same age as Eric De Costa so chances of him moving into that job anytime soon probably doesn't happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2022 at 9:18 PM, jranieli said:

I am enjoying their rebuild. 10-6 and who knows what can happen in the playoffs.

The Giants just really need to do it their own way. Emulate themselves, not others. 

I am not sure if Mara is capable thinking outside the box. 

If there was one organization they should model after, it should be the Steelers. 3 losing seasons since 1992. They hired Tomlin from outside the organization, with zero connections. 

the Maras have wanted to be the Rooney's since the 1970's.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2022 at 5:18 PM, BlueInCanada said:

GM I'd go with the Colts Assistant GM Ed Dodds or Will McClay the VP of personel and scouting for the Cowboys.

Dodds has.worked wonders for the Colts cap and is apparently heavily involved in scouting.

McClay is the reason why the Cowboys drafts are always so great and Jones has been throwing truckloads of money at him to keep him around, he would be my number one pick for GM. He also has coaching and scouting experience. 

For HC it would have to be someone who would the new GM would want to bring in. 

I could see Dodds prying Brady the Colts OC who's been among a number of names for a HC shot in the near future. A guy who knows offenses inside and out would finally get this O moving.

I don't know who McClay would bring in but I'd trust who he would pick, maybe someone with ties to the Cowboys. 

Ed Dodd is my first choice. Dude know how to build a team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Dude is a headcase who would collapse in front of the New York Media.  Zero interest in that. 

He very well maybe a headcase, but he is an established coach with a successful track record and walks in the door commanding respect and having a long term plan to return to winning football.    How many other coaches out there right now can do that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Dude is a headcase who would collapse in front of the New York Media.  Zero interest in that. 

when was the last time you heard a member of that formerly vaunted New York Media ask a difficult question? At this point the whole 'ooh New York sports media is so mean' is something from twenty years in the past. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While JH is intriguing, there's something about going after the big name that I don't always care for.  Kinda feel that way here.  I am more interested in the GM than the HC right now anyhow.  And the fact we are limiting our search by staying with Judge is garbage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

when was the last time you heard a member of that formerly vaunted New York Media ask a difficult question? At this point the whole 'ooh New York sports media is so mean' is something from twenty years in the past. 

They don't ask difficult questions, they ask stupid ones. 

"What did you think about the  performance of the offense today?"

Well, we scored 3 points, what the fuck do you think I think? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

They don't ask difficult questions, they ask stupid ones. 

"What did you think about the  performance of the offense today?"

Well, we scored 3 points, what the fuck do you think I think? 


And yet they still got Judge to melt the fuck down. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...