SportsWrath

GM/HC thread...

Sephiroth

11 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

won't be difficult to de-cap, lots of cuttable or restructurable salary, and 2023's books are already pretty clean. 

the Giants cap situation really, really does not qualify as cap hell. Its not great or good, but it isn't like a New Orleans situation either. 

Yeah I did the math a few weeks ago... cutting a few underperforming guys and the cap going up will free up between 20-40 million in cap room.  We use that on one of the many quality guards out there and Hassan Reddick on a reasonable deal and we're actually not in that bad of shape, assuming we get two O-linemen in the draft. 

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

Yeah I did the math a few weeks ago... cutting a few underperforming guys and the cap going up will free up between 20-40 million in cap room.  We use that on one of the many quality guards out there and Hassan Reddick on a reasonable deal and we're actually not in that bad of shape, assuming we get two O-linemen in the draft. 

It will hurt to cut Martinez and Bradberry, but we lost 10+ games with them.... we can lose 10+ games without them too.

2022 is a get young(er) season. So fucking sick of rebuilding, but may as well embrace it, nothing else to do.

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

Probably a few years late on this, but I would have loved to see Marvin Lewis get an interview. 

Not sure why he hasn't. He way overachieved back when Bengals ownership wasn't even remotely trying to compete.

I'm still not sure about their ownership, but they've gone further than I thought they could this year. Maybe they finally figured some things out. Back in the Marvin Lewis days, Paul Brown's idiot kid was running the team.

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

Not sure why he hasn't. He way overachieved back when Bengals ownership wasn't even remotely trying to compete.

I'm still not sure about their ownership, but they've gone further than I thought they could this year. Maybe they finally figured some things out. Back in the Marvin Lewis days, Paul Brown's idiot kid was running the team.

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

Ok... I actually read both of these posts in full... then it hit me :facepalm:

Never understood the Marvin hype either.

He had a good three/four year stretch, but other than that was a very average coach and he's team constantly under performed for the talent they had on both sides of the ball.

That Bungals team had the best offense and defense during those years and he was consistently bounced out of the first round of the playoffs.

I don't think he's ever made it past the wild card round.

14 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I think next year is going to be the "cut the dead weight, get lots of draft picks, and probably suck, but show some flashes" year. 

The following year is going to be the "show me you can be competitive and climb near .500" year. 

Year after that will be the "get into the playoffs" year. 

This right here from the Old School.  Right the ship next years and go for it the second and third years.  Be part of the establishment solidly for the fourth year.  Traditionally the Giants have had three-to-five-year bursts of competitiveness.

12 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Never understood the Marvin hype either.

He had a good three/four year stretch, but other than that was a very average coach and he's team constantly under performed for the talent they had on both sides of the ball.

That Bungals team had the best offense and defense during those years and he was consistently bounced out of the first round of the playoffs.

I don't think he's ever made it past the wild card round.

the only time they had a real chance was in about 2005, they got bounced from the playoffs because the Steelers took out Carson Palmer's knee early in the game. 

Other than that.... not sure what you're referring to. 

13 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

the only time they had a real chance was in about 2005, they got bounced from the playoffs because the Steelers took out Carson Palmer's knee early in the game. 

Other than that.... not sure what you're referring to. 

They never made it past the wild card round.

And they had pro bowlers on all sides of the ball, they has one of the NFLs highest scoring offenses for two or three years with Palmer, Johnson, Whosyourmama, and that RB there. 

Their defense had the best secondary in the NFL. 

And Marvin couldn't do anything with it.

eh, I think your recollections are a bit off. I can't recall them ever having a good secondary back then. I do recall them blowing a lot of draft capital in the 00s trying to get the secondary fixed. A good front seven, oh yes, but only briefly. There was one season where they were similarly close to being a contender as they are now, but it fell apart due to injuries and substance abuse problems. 

I do sometimes wonder what that team could have done if --- its a lot of IFs ---- Carson Palmer were not injured in that playoff game (it ruined that season, the next season, and eventually his relationship with the team - he eventually 'retired', and forced a trade to the Raiders), and Chris Henry wasn't a nut (he was more talented than Chad Johnson and was the piece that really set that offense off), and David Pollack didn't have a career ending neck injury, and Odell Thurman wasn't addicted to meth.

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

eh, I think your recollections are a bit off. I can't recall them ever having a good secondary back then. I do recall them blowing a lot of draft capital in the 00s trying to get the secondary fixed. A good front seven, oh yes, but only briefly. There was one season where they were similarly close to being a contender as they are now, but it fell apart due to injuries and substance abuse problems. 

I do sometimes wonder what that team could have done if --- its a lot of IFs ---- Carson Palmer were not injured in that playoff game (it ruined that season, the next season, and eventually his relationship with the team - he eventually 'retired', and forced a trade to the Raiders), and Chris Henry wasn't a nut (he was more talented than Chad Johnson and was the piece that really set that offense off), and David Pollack didn't have a career ending neck injury, and Odell Thurman wasn't addicted to meth.

What are you talking about? Lol 

For four years straight and they had a top 10 offense in every category and their defense was top 5 in almost every metric. 

They had a dominate roster that couldn't Marvin couldn't do anything with.

Also the players you mentioned were guys Marvin coached lol 

The guy horribly underperformed as a coach and it's a shame the Bungals never went farther than the Wild card while he was there. 

15 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

What are you talking about? Lol 

For four years straight and they had a top 10 offense in every category and their defense was top 5 in almost every metric. 

They had a dominate roster that couldn't Marvin couldn't do anything with.

Also the players you mentioned were guys Marvin coached lol 

The guy horribly underperformed as a coach and it's a shame the Bungals never went farther than the Wild card while he was there. 

holy moving the goal posts, batman! Earlier you said they had the best offense and defense in the league. Now it was a top ten offense and a top 5 D? Even after watering down your praise, good luck backing that up. Go looking... you won't see what you expect. 

you may have those two inverted, the offense was usually much better than the D in those days. The D was rarely any good though. Top five or top ten? I'm skeptical they achieved that more than once in that era. 

and to appreciate just how much the team overachieved in those days, consider that the Bengals refused to hire professional scouts until around the time Zac Taylor was hired. Marvin Lewis was working without the benefit of a professional organization around him.

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

Hackett was a dark horse of a HC hire.

I never read his name going around for rumors of a HC candidate.

He doesn't have Rodgers to bail him out though.

......unless....

Rodgers may end up with him in Denver.