SportsWrath

Wow manning benched

Herc

Its pointless, beyond some flawed sense of loyalty and nostalgia to play Manning in 5 meaningless games. Its not pointless to play young quarterbacks in meaningless games. And no one can argue that there is a huge difference in scenarios like these between quarterback and any other position that isnt quarterback.

Actually, I replied to your assertion that it doesnt do the backups any good to throw two yard outs, get sacked, etc. Manning is doing the same thing with the same effectiveness, so i posed the question to you if, under the assumption that Eli was still thought to be the starter for 2018 by management, would you want him out there when they are mathematically out of the playoffs (a fact rarely mentioned, but it should be)?

I didn't say he's necessarily the QB for 2018, just that you get no meaningful evaluation out of putting Geno or Webb in under these circumstances. I don't buy the rationale of "let's see what we have" given this inept, practice squad offense we have.

I didn't say he's necessarily the QB for 2018, just that you get no meaningful evaluation out of putting Geno or Webb in under these circumstances. I don't buy the rationale of "let's see what we have" given this inept, practice squad offense we have.

Man it must have been scout team offense prior to the injuries to the receivers then, damn.

I know that you didnt say that but i mean hypothetically, because i think that it probably was the thought of the front office, draft a guy to groom under Eli unless Webb shows something, then continue to groom Webb under Eli next year. I guess knowing the kind of guy Eli is, the thought going around that he couldnt forgive the Giants and was done here seems to be uncharacteristic of the man.

There is only one problem though...Webb hasn't been taking reps in practice or dressing on game day. The real outrage is that the brain trusts game plan seems to be having Smith as QB1 going forward. If it wasn't then why was Smith QB2 when Webb should have been QB2 and taking reps in practice and dressing on game day? Smith should have been cut 5 games ago to make time for Webb. There is no plan here.

The Homer in me hopes that these guys actually have a plan and that Smith is a better QB than Eli and proves us all wrong but the realist in me knows better. There has been no cohesion or vision since day one with this team. This is a clear panic mode reaction to the Redskins game and they are throwing shit against the wall praying it will stick. It won't.

The only silver lining I could find in this otherwise asinine plan is to preserve Manning's health in case of a trade... and to preserve Webb's health from getting killed behind this OL....

Man it must have been scout team offense prior to the injuries to the receivers then, damn.

I know that you didnt say that but i mean hypothetically, because i think that it probably was the thought of the front office, draft a guy to groom under Eli unless Webb shows something, then continue to groom Webb under Eli next year. I guess knowing the kind of guy Eli is, the thought going around that he couldnt forgive the Giants and was done here seems to be uncharacteristic of the man.

This proves the ineptness of the coaching. They have had all year to work Webb up to the # 2 during practice. Sunday Eli is penciled in to go as the #2 under Geno. Webb isn't even going to dress, Webb will be a healthy scratch as he has been all year. All of a sudden Webb will be ready after this game to star? Geno is going no where with the Giants

This proves the ineptness of the coaching. They have had all year to work Webb up to the # 2 during practice. Sunday Eli is penciled in to go as the #2 under Geno. Webb isn't even going to dress, Webb will be a healthy scratch as he has been all year. All of a sudden Webb will be ready after this game to star? Geno is going no where with the Giants

And that's what's maddening about the whole thing... No one gives a shit about Geno... everyone knows if your #1 QB goes down, your season is down the shitter... having Geno at #2 is stupid on so many levels. If I'm the GM, I'd reverse the decision to start Geno... start Eli... and get Webb into the #2 ASAP... then get Webb in late games...

You're right. how many superbowl rings did Favre win? How many does Alex have?

The funny things is, if Smith gets one they'll have the same amount, but Alex Smith probably won't have the career INT record.

Favre was a likable guy (for a while at least) and had a neat story, but he came around at just the right time where he was the only decent young QB in the league. For every game he won you with an amazing comeback, he lost you one with a totally boneheaded pick for no reason.

Of course, I'm probably the only person in the world that doesn't think he was The Greatest Quarterback Ever, but I'm ok with that.

Good God guys...when are people going to realize that Eli being benched is NOT about Eli or his performance?

We have an opportunity to evaluate, as best we can under limited circumstances, the potential successors at the QB position. We have an opportunity to see what we have before draft day. I think going straight to Geno is the mistake. If Webb had been primed two weeks ago for this, and we go straight to him, much of the debate goes away.

Hell, I'd offer Eli a restructured contract this offseason giving him the opportunity to come back and start in 2018. Let Webb and/or draft pick back him up until his restructured contract is up. If Eli doesn't agree to restructure, then I cut him as soon as possible giving him as much time to find a new team as we can.

Good God guys...when are people going to realize that Eli being benched is NOT about Eli or his performance?

We have an opportunity to evaluate, as best we can under limited circumstances, the potential successors at the QB position. We have an opportunity to see what we have before draft day. I think going straight to Geno is the mistake. If Webb had been primed two weeks ago for this, and we go straight to him, much of the debate goes away.

Hell, I'd offer Eli a restructured contract this offseason giving him the opportunity to come back and start in 2018. Let Webb and/or draft pick back him up until his restructured contract is up. If Eli doesn't agree to restructure, then I cut him as soon as possible giving him as much time to find a new team as we can.

Eli is being benched because Reese failed to put together a roster to compete in 2017. Eli is being benched because McAdoo failed to field a competitive team every week in 2017. Crazy thing is Eli Manning still wants to go out there and give the team the best opportunity to win even when the odds are stacked against him. He plays for his teammates, the organization and the fans.

I look forward to your extensive evaluation of Geno Smith, see if it compares to the Geno Smith the NY Jets drafted.

Webb starting in the offense in its current state won't show a thing. Look at Eli Manning's first 6 games in the NFL.

Again, what evaluation do you expect to get out of a QB behind a practice squad offense, particularly behind a practice squad offensive line?

How well they throw the ball away? How well they take a pounding? How well they run for their life? How well they throw the 2 yard out routes? What information are you getting? If anything, it might be misleading information since this offense is so bad, and the personnel is not even realistic of what a future roster would look like.

You're more likely to get the potential future QB killed and/or to ruin his confidence, than you are to "see what we have."

Which is why nobody should be defending this move. This entire organisation is clueless, as Herc has pointed out, and unfortunately it's top to bottom. Webb will be lucky if he's ready to start in the last game which will not be enough for a proper evaluation. Also Smith has played 3 times (1 start and then torn his ACL) in 2 years and now he's going to expected to show what here? I'll re-iterate it again; THIS TEAM HAS NO PLAN AND THIS IS PURE PANIC MOVE.

I already answered what you can evaluate. And I've already conceded that the lack of supporting cast would need to be taken into account. But I can reiterate...

You can see their command of the playbook.

You can judge their command of the huddle/game - time management, leadership among the other 10 guys

You can judge their week(s) of preparation for the starting role

You can see their attitude and how they conduct themselves in a turbulent off-field scenario

You can check their decision making - throw away, take sack, progressions where there's time, etc.

You can see what they know about how the opposing defense is lined up...can the QB make the check from a run to a pass or vice versa

While you may not determine whether or not these guys are potential hall of famers, let's not pretend you'll learn nothing.

Further, this isn't even a comparison TO Eli. Nobody is questioning the play of Manning. Nobody came out saying our QB was questionable and we are looking for a spark. Nobody is saying that the backups give us a better chance to win games. Without ANY doubt whatsoever, Eli is the best QB we have. Hands down, period, unquestionable. However, the team getting a feel for the other guys...can't be a bad thing.

I'll agree, it was handled poorly...Webb should've been called up weeks ago for practice reps preparing for this. Geno should never have been signed as far as I'm concerned, or at least released upon the drafting of Webb. Had the players been briefed weeks ago that this was coming, the shock of it would've been eased. The abruptness and casualness of it all...and again, going to Geno instead of Webb...that's the crux of why many have their panties in a twist. That, and the fabrication that it's about Eli's ability as opposed to simply knowing what they have behind Eli.

I'll buy that not getting Webb the practice reps he needs is a massive failure on the coaching staff. Though I don't know that that's uncommon across the league. The fact you can have a guy on your roster and still need to find out whether or not they have something to offer is almost unfathomable to me. The lack of practice time I think really hurts this league and hurts the development of young players. That's another debate for another day, and it still might just afford some teams the ability to practice their starters longer.

Maybe they can increase practice times for non-starters in the next CBA? Tracking that though would be damn near impossible.

Again, what evaluation do you expect to get out of a QB behind a practice squad offense, particularly behind a practice squad offensive line?

How well they throw the ball away? How well they take a pounding? How well they run for their life? How well they throw the 2 yard out routes? What information are you getting? If anything, it might be misleading information since this offense is so bad, and the personnel is not even realistic of what a future roster would look like.

You're more likely to get the potential future QB killed and/or to ruin his confidence, than you are to "see what we have."

You have no choice but to put him out there... It's not like the dude is going to die... the kid is young and can run if needed. You think a typical 2-9 team has a stellar offensive line? The notion that we have to stay with Eli simply because the OL sucks donkey balls means we don't get to see anything... which is asinine given we're looking at top 3 (hopefully 2) draft pick.

I already answered what you can evaluate. And I've already conceded that the lack of supporting cast would need to be taken into account. But I can reiterate...

You can see their command of the playbook.

You can judge their command of the huddle/game - time management, leadership among the other 10 guys

You can judge their week(s) of preparation for the starting role

You can see their attitude and how they conduct themselves in a turbulent off-field scenario

You can check their decision making - throw away, take sack, progressions where there's time, etc.

You can see what they know about how the opposing defense is lined up...can the QB make the check from a run to a pass or vice versa

While you may not determine whether or not these guys are potential hall of famers, let's not pretend you'll learn nothing.

Further, this isn't even a comparison TO Eli. Nobody is questioning the play of Manning. Nobody came out saying our QB was questionable and we are looking for a spark. Nobody is saying that the backups give us a better chance to win games. Without ANY doubt whatsoever, Eli is the best QB we have. Hands down, period, unquestionable. However, the team getting a feel for the other guys...can't be a bad thing.

I'll agree, it was handled poorly...Webb should've been called up weeks ago for practice reps preparing for this. Geno should never have been signed as far as I'm concerned, or at least released upon the drafting of Webb. Had the players been briefed weeks ago that this was coming, the shock of it would've been eased. The abruptness and casualness of it all...and again, going to Geno instead of Webb...that's the crux of why many have their panties in a twist. That, and the fabrication that it's about Eli's ability as opposed to simply knowing what they have behind Eli.

+1

I'll buy that not getting Webb the practice reps he needs is a massive failure on the coaching staff. Though I don't know that that's uncommon across the league. The fact you can have a guy on your roster and still need to find out whether or not they have something to offer is almost unfathomable to me. The lack of practice time I think really hurts this league and hurts the development of young players. That's another debate for another day, and it still might just afford some teams the ability to practice their starters longer.

Maybe they can increase practice times for non-starters in the next CBA? Tracking that though would be damn near impossible.

In this case there's some excuse for it. The whole WR corps are unproven guys and they needed Eli working with them, not another unproven guy learning the system.

I think they could have been a few moves away from another run. We'd obviously be getting a ton of guys back from injury. All they would have to do is pour a ton of cash into the O-line, and this looks like a totally different team. But no. Instead they decided to throw away our franchise QB, and set us back 10 years (at least) by starting from scratch with God knows who at QB. Even if they get the top pick, and the best QB in the draft, there is a pretty decent shot he is gonna suck. And even if he doesn't, the chances of him being any good the first couple years is slim.

Off season this coming year should have been about giving Eli everything he'd need to succeed. Of course that's what they should have done this past off season. Instead they decided to throw the baby out with the bath water. In the most classless way possible. Get ready for a repeat of the 1990's

McAdoo: No regrets how Eli benching handled

McAdoo has no regrets with Eli benching (0:33)

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Giants coach Ben McAdoo has no regrets about how the eventual benching of quarterback Eli Manning went down and was adamant Friday that he's "on the same page" as co-owner John Mara.

The Giants' original plan -- to have Manning start Sunday in Oakland before giving way at some point in the second half to Geno Smith -- backfired. On Tuesday, McAdoo said the game plan was for each to play a half against the Raiders.

Mara presented a slightly different version Wednesday when asked if there was a better way they could've gone about phasing out their franchise quarterback.

"There probably is. Tell me what it is. I don't know," Mara said. "I mean, I didn't necessarily think it had to be at the half. I think if he's playing well in the first half, we're winning the game, it looks like we've got a chance, the offense is clicking, I would argue then keep him in the game. But having him definitively come out at the end of the first half -- I can understand why he would object."

Smith will start Sunday against the Raiders. It will be the first time the Giants have a starter at quarterback other than Manning since Nov. 21, 2004.

"I was upfront and honest with Eli," McAdoo said Friday. "I don't have any regrets there."

The move has created the latest firestorm in a season filled with drama. The Giants (2-9) have already been eliminated from the playoffs.

McAdoo insisted management was aware about how the situation was going to be handled. He said on multiple occasions they were on the same page.

He's also not worried about his relationship with Mara, even though they hadn't talked recently.

"I'm confident and comfortable with the way we communicate," McAdoo said, "and our open lines of communication."

The way the Giants handled the situation has been harshly criticized by current and former players. Hall of Fame defensive end Michael Strahan told the NFL Network that the Giants didn't handle the situation well and "this just isn't right." Hall of Fame quarterback and ESPN analyst Steve Young said he would've told the Giants to "stick it."

Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers used the term "pathetic" to describe the move.

"Listen, it's an emotional decision. I understand it. I get it. It's a part of it," McAdoo said of the reactions. "Again, you have to separate the emotions and your feelings and make a decision which you feel is right for the organization moving forward."

McAdoo reiterated that the Giants need to evaluate the roster. That begins with Smith and, eventually, rookie Davis Webb, a third-round pick.

Webb's practice workload has not increased this week, and he is unlikely to be active for the contest. Manning will be the backup behind Smith.

That could put McAdoo in the unfamiliar position, if something goes wrong, of asking Manning to enter the contest as a reserve, which he hasn't done in a game since his rookie season.

"I haven't done it before. So it would be different, but it wouldn't be awkward," McAdoo said. "It's part of the game."

Hes taking the hit for John i was in owner meetings what happened? Mara. Mara is a bitch

Yea... Talk about a pussy.. own up to it and fix it. I posted (for the first time) on the Giants FB page saying "You botched it now fix it. Start Eli Sunday and pencil in Webb at #2".... of course I don't know where to see the post... I saw a reply to it but I have no idea if it's going to get delete or what.

I like the way Mara is shocked that Eli pulled himself. This team is a dumpster fire. The real unanswered question is; why wasn't Eli pulled during the Redskins game for Geno? If he's the QB that would have been a good time when the O was a disaster and Eli was struggling. Again everything from the Eli benching to the suspensions has shown a complete lack of control by McAdoo. Sure come in and practice...and by the way your suspended. How long? I don't know...until my feelz calm down.