SportsWrath

Wow manning benched

Herc

You can't compare what happened in Green Bay to what's happening here. Different scenario. Rodgers was a number one draft pick and Green Bay had been hearing shit from Favre about possibly retiring. In that case, Favre was part of the issue and the Packers respected him enough that they put Rodgers on the shelf.The minute Favre came back to camp and was told he was automatic #1, he asked to leave.

Eli isn't necessarily pissed about being demoted as that these fucks wanted him to become a sideshow for 5 more games. Huge difference. If McAdoo was around when this was happening with Favre then it's experience of respecting a QB he brings to the table, not the opposite. Again, just lining up excuses to prevent him from getting the axe.

Lol Mara is passing the buck saying it happened while he was at owners meetings. Used the its my fault but... crap like mcadoo does. The culture starts at the top:

Mara regrets how Giants handled Eli benching

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Giants' owner has some regrets about the way in which quarterback Eli Manning lost his starting job on Tuesday.

"Maybe the timing of it could have been a little different. I wish I could've been here when that was all going down," said co-owner John Mara, who was attending owners' meetings in New York when the decision was made on Tuesday. "What I did not expect -- and this was my fault; maybe I was naïve. I did not expect Eli to react by saying to go ahead and start the other guys.

"I understand, especially after speaking with him [Wednesday]. I completely understand, but that took me by surprise a bit and maybe I would've handled that a little differently."

Manning declined an option to start Sunday against the Oakland Raiders before giving way to Geno Smith, likely in the second half. Manning instead elected to hand over the reins after 14 seasons and 210 straight consecutive regular-season starts. Rookie Davis Webb will also factor into the equation down the stretch of the season.

The Giants' decision to demote Manning was met by a maelstrom from fans, former players and media alike.

"I thought it was pathetic," the usually reserved Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers told reporters on Wednesday.

Rivers was part of the 2004 draft-day trade between the Chargers and Giants that landed Manning in New York. Both quarterbacks have become franchise icons, with Manning winning two Super Bowls for the Giants.

But Mara said he mentioned to general manager Jerry Reese a week or two ago that it might be time to look at other quarterbacks with the Giants' 2-9 season having spiraled out of control. Mara was under the impression that Reese and coach Ben McAdoo had already talked about the possibility of removing Manning as the starting quarterback.

McAdoo has continuously said the team's brass was "on the same page" with the decision and the way it was all handled. Fans definitely weren't, and Mara heard from plenty of them after the decision.

"I understand they feel that way," he said. "I've been around long enough that when you get to a decision like this, there is no clean way to handle it. Again, it was not the way we hoped it would turn out. I was hoping he would continue to play."

The plan they hatched called for Manning to remain the starter, but at some point during Sunday's game it give way to Smith. In retrospect, Mara said, the plan was flawed.

"I was hoping it would turn out differently and he would continue to play some portion of the games, but at some point we'd work in the other quarterbacks," Mara said. "But he didn't want to do it that way, and I understand that. I respect him so much, and I'm not going to argue with him.

He later added: "After talking to him [Wednesday], I understand why it wasn't [a good plan]. He's a competitor, and he wants to be out there playing."

Mara and Manning met on Wednesday morning. The Giants owner described it as an "emotional" meeting for both parties. That doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't at all contentious.

"He is obviously not happy with the decision, but he understands it," Mara said. "I told him my hope here is that you would continue to play, not only to keep your streak alive, but I didn't want him to go out like this. But I understand. I understand. I respect his decision. He doesn't want the streak to be tarnished by just getting in for a few series or something."

Manning, 36, is the franchise leader in attempts, completions, yards, touchdown passes and interceptions. He's a potential future Hall of Fame quarterback with two Super Bowl MVPs on his résumé.

The Giants were still extremely careful not to close the door on a resurrection. A lot can happen between now and the start of next season, including potential changes at the top of the organization.

"I don't think you should be writing his obituary just yet," Mara said. "A lot of things can change between now and next spring and next season. We obviously have some tough decisions to make at the end of the year, and we don't know what is going to happen."

Mara wasn't willing to address the future of his general manager and coach. He wouldn't even guarantee their safety through the end of the season.

That further muddies Manning's future. He's signed for two more seasons and has a no-trade clause. McAdoo seems to understand.

"Yeah, again, nobody says we're moving on from anybody," McAdoo said. "But when you're going through a situation like this, this isn't my first time going through it like you said. You know, there's going to be emotions involved. There's going to be outrage and you have to stick to your decision and do what you feel is best for the organization."

McAdoo was in Green Bay when Brett Favre gave way to Aaron Rodgers. That worked out OK for the Packers, even if Favre said years later that the ending was messy.

Much as this has been with Manning and the Giants.

That's pathetic,nothing short of it. Demoting Eli could have waited one more day till he came back to the building to talk to the guy who you traded the house for 14 years ago and won you 2 superbowls. Time to look in the mirror and say "can I be a better owner?".

Darkwa averaged 2.7 yards per carry last week. Ajayi averaged 5.2. The week prior, Darkwa averaged 3.7 and Ajayi averaged 13. Not sure where you're getting your stats from but they just don't hold up. And Ajayi isn't our #1 back Blount is.

Any team who's lead back is Orleans Darkwa, has no running game. Jay Ajayi is a far better back and smart business by the Eagles.

Theyll cut him after the season. His cap hit is 22 mil and dead money is 12 I think

He'll ask to leave now IMO, I'm thinking he'll waive the no trade clause and look to go somewhere to get that extra year. Physically, he's the healthiest QB out there.

Darkwa averaged 2.7 yards per carry last week. Ajayi averaged 5.2. The week prior, Darkwa averaged 3.7 and Ajayi averaged 13. Not sure where you're getting your stats from but they just don't hold up. And Ajayi isn't our #1 back Blount is.

Over the season Darkwa averages 4.6 yards per carry. Ajayi does not.

You can't compare what happened in Green Bay to what's happening here. Different scenario. Rodgers was a number one draft pick and Green Bay had been hearing shit from Favre about possibly retiring. In that case, Favre was part of the issue and the Packers respected him enough that they put Rodgers on the shelf.The minute Favre came back to camp and was told he was automatic #1, he asked to leave.

Eli isn't necessarily pissed about being demoted as that these fucks wanted him to become a sideshow for 5 more games. Huge difference. If McAdoo was around when this was happening with Favre then it's experience of respecting a QB he brings to the table, not the opposite. Again, just lining up excuses to prevent him from getting the axe.

Ill never get the theory that quality NFL starting quarterbacks are solely first round picks. The Giants utilized a valuable resource on Webb.

After McAdoo & Reese gets fired in January, Davis Webb will be the odd man out on the roster. A QB drafted by the previous management and now saddled to the new one with the stigma of being asked to play while Eli Manning sits on the bench during the worst season in NY Giants history.

After Geno Smith gets knocked out of the game on Sunday, if I was Webb I'd tell them to put in Manning.

Ill never get the theory that quality NFL starting quarterbacks are solely first round picks. The Giants utilized a valuable resource on Webb.

I don't think there's a theory they have to be, Brady, Brees and Russell Wilson smash that idea. But it's the first round for a reason and your chances of getting a good qb are better. There's a lot of good first rounders in the league right now.

I don't think there's a theory they have to be, Brady, Brees and Russell Wilson smash that idea. But it's the first round for a reason and your chances of getting a good qb are better. There's a lot of good first rounders in the league right now.

So its possible that the Giants may feel that Webb can be the Rodgers to Mannings Favre, regardless of draft position, right? Because theres a lot, probably more, of first rounders who actually arent in the league anymore. I think its wise to figure out what they have before they draft one. Mara is right about one thing, it was going to be difficult on the fan base and Manning anyway it happened.

Over the season Darkwa averages 4.6 yards per carry. Ajayi does not.

:laugh: Okay Driz. You guys have an outstanding run game. Feel better? Your run game is complete and utter shit. Your O line is complete shit. All of your WR's are injured. Ajayi is averaging 9.2 yards per carry with the Eagles. Darkwa isn't even close to that. But if it makes you feel better consider Darkwa the better back and be content with your 2-9 record and your teams inability to find the endzone. Blame it on... Oh I don't know... Eli? :laugh:

:laugh: Okay Driz. You guys have an outstanding run game. Feel better? Your run game is complete and utter shit. Your O line is complete shit. All of your WR's are injured. Ajayi is averaging 9.2 yards per carry with the Eagles. Darkwa isn't even close to that. But if it makes you feel better consider Darkwa the better back and be content with your 2-9 record and your teams inability to find the endzone. Blame it on... Oh I don't know... Eli? :laugh:

help me out here.... so if Darkwa sucks, and the OL sucks, and the receivers clearly suck and can't open any space in the for the running game, then how is it that the Giants have actually had, by the numbers, a decent running game over a statistically significant period? These things probably cannot all be true.

To my eyes, the receivers are historically bad, and Darkwa is just another guy at best.... but a Bobby Hart and Weston Richburg-free offensive line looks much improved, even with an undrafted rookie at right tackle, and the numbers bear that out.

help me out here.... so if Darkwa sucks, and the OL sucks, and the receivers clearly suck and can't open any space in the for the running game, then how is it that the Giants have actually had, by the numbers, a decent running game over a statistically significant period? These things probably cannot all be true.

To my eyes, the receivers are historically bad, and Darkwa is just another guy at best.... but a Bobby Hart and Weston Richburg-free offensive line looks much improved, even with an undrafted rookie at right tackle, and the numbers bear that out.

Darkwa is average. A descent running game equates to 3rd down conversions and touchdowns.

So Mara claims he wants to look at what he has with our other QBs.

The notion of "Let's look at what we have with other QB's" makes no sense and has no basis in reality. How is putting out Geno or Webb, under conditions where they have practically a practice squad caliber offense around them, and a particular weakness at OL, going to give you an accurate evaluation of "what we have" at QB besides Eli?

These guys are going to get killed out there. We'll be seeing consistent three and outs, and 2 yard out routes, since that's about all this offense can muster without an OL. What does that tell you about your QB?

So Mara claims he wants to look at what he has with our other QBs.

The notion of "Let's look at what we have with other QB's" makes no sense and has no basis in reality. How is putting out Geno or Webb, under conditions where they have practically a practice squad caliber offense around them, and a particular weakness at OL, going to give you an accurate evaluation of "what we have" at QB besides Eli?

These guys are going to get killed out there. We'll be seeing consistent three and outs, and 2 yard out routes, since that's about all this offense can muster without an OL. What does that tell you about your QB?

In reality, if he's smart, he's shopping for trade value. At least in Geno's case that's what I would do. But I would have let Eli finish the season and send him off in style rather than bench him for a guy that has first hand knowledge of failure in Met Life stadium.

It is because they are actually trying to run the fucking ball with Sullivan calling the plays. Don't be fooled by statistics.

Darkwa is average. A descent running game equates to 3rd down conversions and touchdowns.

Usually. Given competent play in the other phases in the game, definitely. That isn't the 2017 Giants.

It is because they are actually trying to run the fucking ball with Sullivan calling the plays. Don't be fooled by statistics.

'Trying'? LOL, ouch.

But more running attempts, if that's what you mean by trying, would lead to the opposing defense being more prepared for running plays, therefore limiting the potential success of running plays. And all of this went down after the Giants lost the only real vertical threats on the team too, further leading defenses to key in on run plays.

I can see crediting improved play design for success in the run game. But our OL is not that bad, not for the last five or so weeks. Rough game against Washington, but that's a comparative outlier. I don't think its the statistics fooling us in this case, I think its our preconception that this OL is god awful.

Except that isnt what i said. I corrected your assessment that there is no run game with the typical statistic associated with that of a run game, yards per carry. Ajayi has two long gains with a majority of 2 and 3 yard carries, with the Eagles.

Are you kidding? The Giants cant even get to third and short. They cant even get to the red zone. They have what I assume is historically low numbers of first downs. Sucks when you run for 4 yards, throw an incompletion, and dont throw past the sticks on 3rd down and long. Pretty tough to call a run in that situation.

Usually. Given competent play in the other phases in the game, definitely. That isn't the 2017 Giants.

'Trying'? LOL, ouch.

But more running attempts, if that's what you mean by trying, would lead to the opposing defense being more prepared for running plays, therefore limiting the potential success of running plays. And all of this went down after the Giants lost the only real vertical threats on the team too, further leading defenses to key in on run plays.

I can see crediting improved play design for success in the run game. But our OL is not that bad, not for the last five or so weeks. Rough game against Washington, but that's a comparative outlier. I don't think its the statistics fooling us in this case, I think its our preconception that this OL is god awful.

I'd say Sullivan did more to help the offensive line than McAdoo by simply calling a balanced offense. Quick breakdown of the offensive line up until Washington:

Bobby Hart is a terrible offensive tackle. Ereck Flowers has settled down. John Jerry played better once he stopped playing alongside Hart. Pugh has been solid everywhere they plug him if only he could stay healthy.

Jones and Fluker have come in and given the offensive line a spark in the running game as expected. Richburg's concussion ended his season.

IMO had Sullivan been running the offense from the beginning of the season and Hart never made the starter, Giants would have won more games. Darkwa is another factor in this equation, I think his running style better fits the limitations of the offensive line.

Nobody is going to watch anymore ........ Fuck this season ( Fuck Reese , Fuck McAdouche , Fuck Mara )

Well Mara expressed his "regret" and hinted that he wished he was there (he was attending an owners' meeting in NYC that day)... either way I think it's bullshit... Glad to see him admit the botched this royally... not sure how they can push the toothpaste back in the tube though...

Except that isnt what i said. I corrected your assessment that there is no run game with the typical statistic associated with that of a run game, yards per carry. Ajayi has two long gains with a majority of 2 and 3 yard carries, with the Eagles.

Sure man. Great run game you guys have, only you can't seem to convert a 3rd down or find the end zone which is not typical of having a descent run game. Ajayi has only been on our team for 3 games and he's averaging 9.7 yards per carry. Justify your teams failures with your awesome running back and my teams success with our shitty running back. I will wait...

JUST FUCKING DISGRACEFUL

Ownership hasn't made a single move all season but benching Manning is somehow their decision?

This bullshit started at Jerry Reese and worked its way down. Jerry is sadly mistaken if he thinks this will save his job, he already lost it.

Jerry woudn't do this without a nod from ownership....