SportsWrath

Wow manning benched

Herc

Like I said earlier, it needs to be about Webb, not Geno. We know what we have in Geno. Webb is the unknown. Given Webb hasn't even dressed yet this year, I think the Giants are behind a week. Meaning, they should have dressed and given practice reps to Webb starting a week or two ago...likely during the bye...so that when this time came, he could be ready to be evaluated in a real game.

Geno is a backup. End of story.

If they play their cards right, I think Eli could still be the starter next year. Evaluate Webb...if he's the future QB, let Eli play next year, Webb back him up and dress on Sundays. Let Geno walk. If Webb is not the guy, draft a QB at #2 or 3 overall, let Eli mentor him for a year, and then transition to the new QB for 2019.

I don't think they necessarily did Eli too terribly wrong here...I think the major fuckup is that they're going to Geno and not Webb. Had they gotten Webb practice snaps starting with the bye, he'd be ready to go in now, at least for evaluation purposes.

By now in the season you're actually assuming this team has a plan and is functional? :P

Its appalling to think at what point everyone collectively lost their minds. True - it seems like they never had their minds in place to begin with. But this is just straight up baffling.

I bleed blue - but this is gonna make a lot of people lose faith in the franchise - the way theyve treated their legends - TC - now Eli - a lot of people are gonna jump ship. Hell a lot of them are already gunning for Jacksonville. I cant wait for Eli to helm that team. They have cap room to sign Odell too :)

Let's not forget how his career started. Lots of Chargers fans singing "How does it feel...?

Have you seen any of their games lately Fringe....there aren't lots of Charger fans....at least not in LA. :)

The way the Reece and McAdoo handled this is exactly how things have been going since Coughlin left....fucking rudderless. This Eli mess is simply more evidence that these guys are way the fuck over their heads.

Obviously Eli is not the future and they have a huge rebuild on the offenses that is going to take some time if you are going to do it right.

But you have to have tact....strategy....and something these two seem totally incapable of.....linear thinking.

There are five games left...you can ...if you are smart...put in a system that A) gets Webb number 2 reps in practice and B) keeps Manning as a meaningful starter.....and over the course of the last five games (close to a third of a season)....you can get Webb into the game ..first at garbage time...and eventually during more meaningful situations.

What you dont do....if fuck off a HOF who has been nothing but a commentate soldier and taken all the shit...I mean all the shit....for this disaster of a season without point one finger at the assholes who created this mess...even when these assholes have the balls to say "we are looking at all positions".

What you don't do to this guy....a proud guy...who despite his low key demeanor is every bit the competitor his brother and Tom Brady (whom he has fucking owned in the only game that counts) are....is come at him with some half baked....pussy...cowardly....scheme giving him the option of making a mockery of one of his truly astounding achievements....his 200 plus consecutive starts...200 plus games where he not only started....but he took 99.99% of the snaps...many times hurt.

Seriously...if you are a vet FA next winter....do you want to sign up under these two ass clowns after seeing how they treated a Pro's Pro?

The whole thing is disgusting...but is anyone truly surprised given what these clowns have shown thus far.

Manning is going to look real good in Black, Gold, and Teal....backed up by one of the best D's in the league and behind an Oline that isnt a fucking swinging gate.

C. Wagon

C. Wagon

Seriously...if you are a vet FA next winter....do you want to sign up under these two ass clowns after seeing how they treated a Pro's Pro?

Yeah, this down the road effect of shitting on the people who gave you the most really pisses me off.

And it's got me looking back on the Coughlin thing with new eyes now too. The culture on this team is shifting is some very ugly ways.

Meh, whatever. This is the NFL. Happened to Favre, happened to Simms, going to happen to Alex Smith very soon. You guys keep believing the move was to get Geno more reps, though.

I get the NFL part Dizz..it is a business.

But you have to admit....this was needlessly inept....borderline cruel.

Farve wasn't benched with five games to go to make room for Rodgers....(who was legit as fuck and drafter 2 years prior to ultimately replace him..it was not a secret)....and Farve was given the option of a graceful out..and turned it down....for two years with the Pack...and then again with the Vikes 4 years later.

Simms couldnt stay on the field...for most of his career...had a nice stretch in the middle....but at the beginning and particularly at the end he was on IR a great deal of the time...not the same story with Farve or Eli.....and Alex Smith...I get it is best to state a case with three examples...but...come on :) I would have definately gone with Montana....

I also don't believe it was to give Smith more reps...that is the point....they could have come up with a calculus to get more reps to Webb...and still be mindful...and respectful of Manning in what is now obviously his last season as a Giant. Bumping up Smith...comes across as a panicked and rushed decision.....and most importantly...needless.

IMHO....and attempting to be dispassionate as possible (and that is hard)...there is still plenty of time left in the season to stand Webb up on #2 practice reps...and see what he has..building towards a start late in the season....without having to fuck off Eli in the process.

C. Wagon

Meh, whatever. This is the NFL. Happened to Favre, happened to Simms, going to happen to Alex Smith very soon. You guys keep believing the move was to get Geno more reps, though.

what? Did you seriously just compare Eli to Alex Smith, or his situation to Favre's? That's.... wacky.

Have you seen any of their games lately Fringe....there aren't lots of Charger fans....at least not in LA. :)

The way the Reece and McAdoo handled this is exactly how things have been going since Coughlin left....fucking rudderless. This Eli mess is simply more evidence that these guys are way the fuck over their heads.

Obviously Eli is not the future and they have a huge rebuild on the offenses that is going to take some time if you are going to do it right.

But you have to have tact....strategy....and something these two seem totally incapable of.....linear thinking.

There are five games left...you can ...if you are smart...put in a system that A) gets Webb number 2 reps in practice and B) keeps Manning as a meaningful starter.....and over the course of the last five games (close to a third of a season)....you can get Webb into the game ..first at garbage time...and eventually during more meaningful situations.

What you dont do....if fuck off a HOF who has been nothing but a commentate soldier and taken all the shit...I mean all the shit....for this disaster of a season without point one finger at the assholes who created this mess...even when these assholes have the balls to say "we are looking at all positions".

What you don't do to this guy....a proud guy...who despite his low key demeanor is every bit the competitor his brother and Tom Brady (whom he has fucking owned in the only game that counts) are....is come at him with some half baked....pussy...cowardly....scheme giving him the option of making a mockery of one of his truly astounding achievements....his 200 plus consecutive starts...200 plus games where he not only started....but he took 99.99% of the snaps...many times hurt.

The whole thing is disgusting...but is anyone truly surprised given what these clowns have shown thus far.

Manning is going to look real good in Black, Gold, and Teal....backed up by one of the best D's in the league and behind an Oline that isnt a fucking swinging gate.

C. Wagon

C. Wagon

Yes I was going to say all 5 of those Chargers fans are pissed but then I would ruin someone elses snarky remark.?

what? Did you seriously just compare Eli to Alex Smith, or his situation to Favre's? That's.... wacky.

The point is, its time to move on. Has been for years. All teams move on from quarterbacks. Unless youd like it to be 2020 and were still looking back on 2011 because everyone just loves to do that. Manning isnt a good quarterback anymore.

Both are patently false. Darkwa averages nearly 5 yards per carry. Nearly a yard and a half more than Jay Ajayi. The offensive line is middle of the road. There are plenty of successful teams with mediocre offensive lines.

Darkwa averaged 2.7 yards per carry last week. Ajayi averaged 5.2. The week prior, Darkwa averaged 3.7 and Ajayi averaged 13. Not sure where you're getting your stats from but they just don't hold up. And Ajayi isn't our #1 back Blount is.

Maybe they have a trade worked out for Eli already and they want him healthy? They still owe him what 45 mill?

None of that is guaranteed from what I've read. So if he's cut, Giants save a shitload. No team is trading for that salary AND Eli has a no-trade clause allowing him to control where he goes. Chances of an Eli trade are very, very slim save for a late round pick someone is willing to give to keep Eli off the open FA market.

I've also read that Eli is due a $5 million roster bonus on the 3rd day of the league year, which coincides with free agency. A decision will likely be made before then...or at least it should be to avoid allocating $22 million to a backup.

The point is, its time to move on. Has been for years. All teams move on from quarterbacks. Unless youd like it to be 2020 and were still looking back on 2011 because everyone just loves to do that. Manning isnt a good quarterback anymore.

Personally I don't see much difference between Eli in 2012 and today. Same guy, different team around him. His skills are basically what they've always been.

It's not so much the moving on part that I find upsetting... Its the way it's being handled.

You have no run game. You have no O-line. Without those two things a passing game doesn't work regardless of how old he is.

you forgot we have no wrs either.... to pseudo coin a phrase from Bill Parcels... Martha Stewart couldn't even make a cake with these groceries.

Is it true they are playing in a High School Stadium?

Two teams in LA....honestly is market research dead?

C. Wagon

they obviously have the population to support it. it's a matter of time- Clippers came from SD and eventually were accepted.

Here's another thing I find pretty funny about this whole thing.

The "We are getting tape on other players" is such bullshit that it isnt even fucking logical.

No head coach/GM is going to want to come into the organization with Geno fucking Smith and Webb as their QBs, they are gonna to want the guy they draft.

I don't care who you are hiring be it a first time HC or an experienced GM, not a single one of them are going to agree to keep either of these guys simply because the fucking ownership wants too, well not any good ones anyways.

You're basically benching Eli for practically nothing, not a single thing comes out of this unless Geno Smith is somehow able to become an NFL QB.

Fuck Webb inst even going to see the field this year Eli is going to continue to be the #2 until the season is over.

lol Mara/MacAttack/JR are fucking jokes of the NFL and have driven a once looked at "Class franchise" into a Paul Walker crash of a mess.

Lol Mara is passing the buck saying it happened while he was at owners meetings. Used the its my fault but... crap like mcadoo does. The culture starts at the top:

Mara regrets how Giants handled Eli benching

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Giants' owner has some regrets about the way in which quarterback Eli Manning lost his starting job on Tuesday.

"Maybe the timing of it could have been a little different. I wish I could've been here when that was all going down," said co-owner John Mara, who was attending owners' meetings in New York when the decision was made on Tuesday. "What I did not expect -- and this was my fault; maybe I was naïve. I did not expect Eli to react by saying to go ahead and start the other guys.

"I understand, especially after speaking with him [Wednesday]. I completely understand, but that took me by surprise a bit and maybe I would've handled that a little differently."

Manning declined an option to start Sunday against the Oakland Raiders before giving way to Geno Smith, likely in the second half. Manning instead elected to hand over the reins after 14 seasons and 210 straight consecutive regular-season starts. Rookie Davis Webb will also factor into the equation down the stretch of the season.

The Giants' decision to demote Manning was met by a maelstrom from fans, former players and media alike.

"I thought it was pathetic," the usually reserved Los Angeles Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers told reporters on Wednesday.

Rivers was part of the 2004 draft-day trade between the Chargers and Giants that landed Manning in New York. Both quarterbacks have become franchise icons, with Manning winning two Super Bowls for the Giants.

But Mara said he mentioned to general manager Jerry Reese a week or two ago that it might be time to look at other quarterbacks with the Giants' 2-9 season having spiraled out of control. Mara was under the impression that Reese and coach Ben McAdoo had already talked about the possibility of removing Manning as the starting quarterback.

McAdoo has continuously said the team's brass was "on the same page" with the decision and the way it was all handled. Fans definitely weren't, and Mara heard from plenty of them after the decision.

"I understand they feel that way," he said. "I've been around long enough that when you get to a decision like this, there is no clean way to handle it. Again, it was not the way we hoped it would turn out. I was hoping he would continue to play."

The plan they hatched called for Manning to remain the starter, but at some point during Sunday's game it give way to Smith. In retrospect, Mara said, the plan was flawed.

"I was hoping it would turn out differently and he would continue to play some portion of the games, but at some point we'd work in the other quarterbacks," Mara said. "But he didn't want to do it that way, and I understand that. I respect him so much, and I'm not going to argue with him.

He later added: "After talking to him [Wednesday], I understand why it wasn't [a good plan]. He's a competitor, and he wants to be out there playing."

Mara and Manning met on Wednesday morning. The Giants owner described it as an "emotional" meeting for both parties. That doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't at all contentious.

"He is obviously not happy with the decision, but he understands it," Mara said. "I told him my hope here is that you would continue to play, not only to keep your streak alive, but I didn't want him to go out like this. But I understand. I understand. I respect his decision. He doesn't want the streak to be tarnished by just getting in for a few series or something."

Manning, 36, is the franchise leader in attempts, completions, yards, touchdown passes and interceptions. He's a potential future Hall of Fame quarterback with two Super Bowl MVPs on his résumé.

The Giants were still extremely careful not to close the door on a resurrection. A lot can happen between now and the start of next season, including potential changes at the top of the organization.

"I don't think you should be writing his obituary just yet," Mara said. "A lot of things can change between now and next spring and next season. We obviously have some tough decisions to make at the end of the year, and we don't know what is going to happen."

Mara wasn't willing to address the future of his general manager and coach. He wouldn't even guarantee their safety through the end of the season.

That further muddies Manning's future. He's signed for two more seasons and has a no-trade clause. McAdoo seems to understand.

"Yeah, again, nobody says we're moving on from anybody," McAdoo said. "But when you're going through a situation like this, this isn't my first time going through it like you said. You know, there's going to be emotions involved. There's going to be outrage and you have to stick to your decision and do what you feel is best for the organization."

McAdoo was in Green Bay when Brett Favre gave way to Aaron Rodgers. That worked out OK for the Packers, even if Favre said years later that the ending was messy.

Much as this has been with Manning and the Giants.