SportsWrath

0-1. So now what?

Sephiroth

Well, that was quite the shit show last night. Certain things were not surprising (Connor getting hurt, Cruz starring in the game) but others were total shockers (Wilson unable to hold on to the ball, six turnovers).

With the ability to sign players and not guarantee their contracts, what would you do from here? There's a few things I think the Giants should definitely take a look at:

1. They need a running back who is serviceable. Wilson can be a kick returner but he probably won't see the field again for a few weeks... fumbilitis is a fatal disease in Coughlinville. Moreover, none of these guys can pass block, and Wilson almost got Eli killed a few times back there. Finding someone who can run and pass block should be the #1 priority. Maybe that guy is on the roster (Michael Cox?) but my guess is we'll get a Michael Turner or a Willis McGahee in here this week.

2. O-line depth. The only guy I can think of is Brandon Moore that's out there right now, but Jesus, that line play was terrible last night. Snee looks finished. Is Mitch Petrus still available (I'm not joking)?

3. Linebackers. Connor is hurt? Stunner... never saw that coming. Next week it will be Rivers and/or Williams. We need a vet there to provide stability and leadership.

The odd thing is, before free agency began we were all saying these things, and instead we signed a risk/reward TE and sixteen defensive tackles, four of which will be free agents at season's end... when we'll have to do this all over again.

Def not going to hit the panic button...

Wilson? Didn't Tiki had fumbilitis too at some point? Easily correctable. The fact the coaches didn't have him hold the ball high and tight in the offseason says a lot about our coaches. The kid will be ok.

O-Line? Yea but nothing can be done about it.. when your best lineman is the rookie.. you got problems.

What killed us was the turnovers... 3 fucking INTs... how do you correct that?

Def not going to hit the panic button...

Wilson? Didn't Tiki had fumbilitis too at some point? Easily correctable. The fact the coaches didn't have him hold the ball high and tight in the offseason says a lot about our coaches. The kid will be ok.

O-Line? Yea but nothing can be done about it.. when your best lineman is the rookie.. you got problems.

How do you know they weren't trying to get him to hold the ball high and tight?

I love Wilson's talent, but I'm starting to wonder if he has a ten cent head... or maybe he's just pressing out there, putting too much pressure on himself.

Thing is, Da'Rel Scott also cost the team a touchdown... he didn't get around on that screen pass, result = pick 6. I wager Wilson would have made a play on that ball. So Wilson is going to have to play, and play a lot, because Scott is every bit as mistake prone.

Fumbling problem, I'm pretty pissed about that..but I'm also pissed that a lot of people were OK with our running game.

We need veteran help there.

O-line looked like shit again.

Defense at times looked pretty good.

The positive...we were within a score from winning a game where we had a shitload of turnovers. Defense looked good for a while...despite the offense continuing to screw them over. T2 looked decent in tackling and coverage.

The negative...Prince and Conner injuries. Not much pressure on the QB with a less than stellar offensive line to go against. Turnovers. Lack of running game.

We should have lost this game by 21+ points given our performance.

The positive...we were within a score from winning a game where we had a shitload of turnovers. Defense looked good for a while...despite the offense continuing to screw them over. T2 looked decent in tackling and coverage.

The negative...Prince and Conner injuries. Not much pressure on the QB with a less than stellar offensive line to go against. Turnovers. Lack of running game.

We should have lost this game by 21+ points given our performance.

The Cowboys looked like a 5-11 team, IMO... the strips on Wilson were quality plays, but the other turnovers were pure charity.

I agree, Giants definitely should have lost by more. Any half decent team would have had that game over by the half.

The first one was the worst INT I think I've ever seen, the other two were bad tips by the receivers. They didn't look ready to play but I think you can safely say that once they settle down that won't be a weekly feature.

Eli still threw for 450 yards and 4 TDs and would be the league leader right now if it weren't for Peyton's Thursday Night Clinic. Imagine his stats without the silly turnovers!

How do you know they weren't trying to get him to hold the ball high and tight?

I love Wilson's talent, but I'm starting to wonder if he has a ten cent head... or maybe he's just pressing out there, putting too much pressure on himself.

Thing is, Da'Rel Scott also cost the team a touchdown... he didn't get around on that screen pass, result = pick 6. I wager Wilson would have made a play on that ball. So Wilson is going to have to play, and play a lot, because Scott is every bit as mistake prone.

That was a back breaker but Eli needs to take just as much blame on the throw as Scott. Eli was not under pressure and could have easily waited another second or pulled it back and tried another throw. I know timing throws can be dicey but that seemed like an Eli brain fart and to be honest if that was supposed to be a screen play it was terribly executed. Anyway Wilson is good but this is starting to look really bad for the kid. Not only were the 2 fumbles bad but he only averaged 2.7 yards per carry. Scott played better in relief.

The one bright spot was Randle. Played very well.

We play another 15 games.

this.

That was a back breaker but Eli needs to take just as much blame on the throw as Scott. Eli was not under pressure and could have easily waited another second or pulled it back and tried another throw. I know timing throws can be dicey but that seemed like an Eli brain fart and to be honest if that was supposed to be a screen play it was terribly executed. Anyway Wilson is good but this is starting to look really bad for the kid. Not only were the 2 fumbles bad but he only averaged 2.7 yards per carry. Scott played better in relief.

and Pugh, and Mundy, and Josh Browns kickoffs, and Nicks and Cruz looking like they did, and the team never giving up was a bright spot for me.

I'll be honest I didnt watch too much of the game..I just cant get into night games, I despise them. I watched Boarwalk Empire and Ray Donovan instead of the game...but from the little I did watch, Eli looked really good..granted I didnt see any of the interceptions, but the passing game looked really, really good.

I was disgusted with the game, but there were a few things that showed promise.

The good:

- Cruz is still "the man" - so glad we resigned him

- Brandon Myers looks as though he's going to be good pickup

- Randle looked good and could end up unseating Nicks, especially if Nicks demands at the end of the season are sky high

- Mundy was a very good pickup for us

- Rolle hasn't lost a step

- And as was pointed out, the Giants didn't give up and almost pulled the worst game of their career out their ass in enemy territory.

-----------------

The bad: way, way too many things to list. Injuries and TURNOVERS at the top of the list. Eli the stud vs. Eli the dope - a game within itself.

The strips of the ball from Wilson were legitimate good defensive strips. Where he looked far worse in my opinion, was his blocking that absolutely sucked. My mother could've blocked better than him. And the announcer's, "he's only 6 feet tall and 205 lbs" excuse is bullshit. He simply stepped out of the way of the rush and pulled an "Ole'" like a bullfighter, and Eli got crushed. TC looked far more angry at Wilson for that shitty block than he did for the strips.

Snee looks finished to me. JPP and Tuck were underwhelming. The DT's were far more aggressive and successful than the DE's....which is weird.

I hate to extrapolate from one game, but my take is:

- Our offensive line is going to be sub-par at best all season, atrocious at worst. Brewer and Snee looked bad. Pugh is a rookie and is going through growing pains. Baas/Diehl aren't anything to look forward to when coming back from injury.

- Our LB's suck, no sugarcoating. And we all knew this.

- Interior Defensive Line seems very improved

- Give Scott and/or Cox a shot; Wilson should only be used in a rotation role with 8-10 carries per game (not the primary back), and on KR.

- WR/TE we already knew was a strength; no issues there

- Mundy and TT were positives.

- Pass rush was below average last night, but hopefully can get their act together.

Neither team looked very good last night. Cowballs won by default.

I have never bought into the idea that, "they didn't beat us, we beat ourselves" excuse, but last night might just be an example of it being a true saying. I can't believe the boys didn't beat us by 40 points or more. We handed them a blowout on a platter and they turned it into a barely won squeaker.

Pretty sure there was somebody right on Eli on that second screen-pass-from-hell. If I'm wrong about that, then you've got a point, but on a screen pass if there is a rush coming the RB has to get his head around much sooner, as in immediately.

The first screen-pass-from-hell.... that was a real WTF moment for me. Ware was in Eli's line of sight, I don't know how he missed him.

I'm not worried about Wilson's yards per carry... just a few touches, no meaningful numbers there.

Loading a replay of that pick 6 now...

meanwhile, other high points... definitely Randle, How about a healthy Nicks? I thought he looked like a beast out there.

ah, you're right... there really wasn't any pressure. It also wasn't thrown as hard as I thought either. Definitely a little sloppy on Eli's part, if the throw was between Scott's numbers there is no pick.

I have never bought into the idea that, "they didn't beat us, we beat ourselves" excuse, but last night might just be an example of it being a true saying. I can't believe the boys didn't beat us by 40 points or more. We handed them a blowout on a platter and they turned it into a barely won squeaker.

the exception that proves the rule.

this.

and Pugh, and Mundy, and Josh Browns kickoffs, and Nicks and Cruz looking like they did, and the team never giving up was a bright spot for me.

Ohhh...definitely. It's nice to get kickoffs into the end zone. Also, as pointed out, TT looked good back and hopefully Pugh becomes a bright spot because OLine has some issues.. If the O had been competent this would have been a blowout for the Giants. The O looked good until it didn't.