SportsWrath

0-1. So now what?

Sephiroth

Pretty sure there was somebody right on Eli on that second screen-pass-from-hell. If I'm wrong about that, then you've got a point, but on a screen pass if there is a rush coming the RB has to get his head around much sooner, as in immediately.

The first screen-pass-from-hell.... that was a real WTF moment for me. Ware was in Eli's line of sight, I don't know how he missed him.

I'm not worried about Wilson's yards per carry... just a few touches, no meaningful numbers there.

Loading a replay of that pick 6 now...

meanwhile, other high points... definitely Randle, How about a healthy Nicks? I thought he looked like a beast out there.

ah, you're right... there really wasn't any pressure. It also wasn't thrown as hard as I thought either. Definitely a little sloppy on Eli's part, if the throw was between Scott's numbers there is no pick.

Eli could have bailed on that if needed or rolled for a second more for Scott to get into position. He does seem to have issues with quick short passes.

I have never bought into the idea that, "they didn't beat us, we beat ourselves" excuse, but last night might just be an example of it being a true saying. I can't believe the boys didn't beat us by 40 points or more. We handed them a blowout on a platter and they turned it into a barely won squeaker.

If Kiffin's defense was everything Collinsworth and Michaels said it was last night They wouldn't have given up those big plays to let the G-men stay in the game. Eli had an off night. Cowballs have on off team.

Let's also not forget the missed goaline TD because David Wilson doesn't know how to fall forwards on a half yardline run.

It's absolutely pathetic that when given the ball on the ONE FOOT LINE you can't get a TD. That is just inexcusable.

Let's address the elephant in the room. The player most responsible for fucking up this game was Eli Manning.

No doubt about it - we live and die based on Eli's game. Sometimes his brain is sharp as a tack....but he has moments where he acts completely retarded.

That roast of the Giants on another thread made the statement, "Eli, the best average QB in the NFL", which kinda strikes a chord with me. Man, when he's on, he's at the top of the heap for eliteness. But man, when he has brain farts, he just plain does some things that are incredibly stupid. That bullseye pass into the chest of wide open DeMarcus Ware on the first play of the game is the perfect example. I don't know if he panics - or simply is unfocused for a few seconds - or what it is.

Some of the greatest games he's ever played have included him helping the other team stay in it as well as him beating them. It's almost a game within itself watching Eli deciding the game for both teams.

Still...I love the guy. When he can stay focused the entire game, he's incredible. That first pass to Cruz last night was a perfectly thrown bomb - and I've seen him do it so many times before. But you have to also include the short dump pass to Ware in the same game. Stressful to watch.

No doubt about it - we live and die based on Eli's game. Sometimes his brain is sharp as a tack....but he has moments where he acts completely retarded.

That roast of the Giants on another thread made the statement, "Eli, the best average QB in the NFL", which kinda strikes a chord with me. Man, when he's on, he's at the top of the heap for eliteness. But man, when he has brain farts, he just plain does some things that are incredibly stupid. That bullseye pass into the chest of wide open DeMarcus Ware on the first play of the game is the perfect example. I don't know if he panics - or simply is unfocused for a few seconds - or what it is.

Honestly, I think Gilly's game plan really screws things up for him. It's one of the most complicated offenses in the NFL, maybe the most. Eli has a dozen PRE-SNAP reads. Then each receiver has a minimum of two routes that he and the QB have to be on the same page for. Then there's audibles with more of the same.

Coming out of college, EA wrote that "this is a guy you just have to let play." Our offense does anything but, and the rare times that you see Eli just be able to go for it (two minutes drills) he more often then not nails them.

I hate to extrapolate from one game, but my take is:

- Our offensive line is going to be sub-par at best all season, atrocious at worst. Brewer and Snee looked bad. Pugh is a rookie and is going through growing pains. Baas/Diehl aren't anything to look forward to when coming back from injury.

- Our LB's suck, no sugarcoating. And we all knew this.

- Interior Defensive Line seems very improved

- Give Scott and/or Cox a shot; Wilson should only be used in a rotation role with 8-10 carries per game (not the primary back), and on KR.

- WR/TE we already knew was a strength; no issues there

- Mundy and TT were positives.

- Pass rush was below average last night, but hopefully can get their act together.

I'm not willing to throw the kitchen sink at a young 22 year old potential star... Yes he needs to get it together but if you think Scott or Cox give us a better chance then you're kidding... Wilson needs to start holding the ball the same way Tiki did after it was obvious he had a case of fumbilitus.

Honestly, I think Gilly's game plan really screws things up for him. It's one of the most complicated offenses in the NFL, maybe the most. Eli has a dozen PRE-SNAP reads. Then each receiver has a minimum of two routes that he and the QB have to be on the same page for. Then there's audibles with more of the same.

Coming out of college, EA wrote that "this is a guy you just have to let play." Our offense does anything but, and the rare times that you see Eli just be able to go for it (two minutes drills) he more often then not nails them.

good point. I don't know if it's true but it makes sense. But it looked fairly simple last night. He ran the same crossing pattern about 15 plays.

Gilbride's offense looks great when everything goes perfectly.

That's why the Giants rarely win ugly games. It's either a blowout win, or a come from behind win, or a loss.

I'm not willing to throw the kitchen sink at a young 22 year old potential star... Yes he needs to get it together but if you think Scott or Cox give us a better chance then you're kidding... Wilson needs to start holding the ball the same way Tiki did after it was obvious he had a case of fumbilitus.

I agree that we can't write Wilson off. However, at this stage in his development, what I'm seeing is a guy who is not yet ready to handle the load as a primary back, and instead is best suited for 8-10 carries per game.

I agree that we can't write Wilson off. However, at this stage in his development, what I'm seeing is a guy who is not yet ready to handle the load as a primary back, and instead is best suited for 8-10 carries per game.

Whomever said "hand strength" is spot on. Either he doesn't have it or he brain farts about holding the ball close and tight. You can bet he'll be carrying a ball around all week with people trying to slap it away.

Whomever said "hand strength" is spot on. Either he doesn't have it or he brain farts about holding the ball close and tight. You can bet he'll be carrying a ball around all week with people trying to slap it away.

Hand strength doesn't matter, it's all about the proper form. If I held the football correctly it'd be hard to strip it from me and I am not half his muscle size. High and tight basically can't be stripped.

Let's address the elephant in the room. The player most responsible for fucking up this game was Eli Manning.

Absolutely. In my opinion, every one of those interceptions were on him and were blatantly terrible decisions.

No don't you dare say that... Gilfuck is GOD'S own coordinator... I have been ranting about the over complexity of his scheme for years. When its on like the trust between Eli and Nicks or E and Cruz then its beautiful to watch ...but when its off...it looks like a high school coaches scheme of what he thinks an NFL offense should look like. All it is...is a modified run and shoot. But unfortunately with Coughlin ...you get him you get his coordinators...

No don't you dare say that... Gilfuck is GOD'S own coordinator... I have been ranting about the over complexity of his scheme for years. When its on like the trust between Eli and Nicks or E and Cruz then its beautiful to watch ...but when its off...it looks like a high school coaches scheme of what he thinks an NFL offense should look like. All it is...is a modified run and shoot. But unfortunately with Coughlin ...you get him you get his coordinators...

I'd get rid of Fewel before Gilbride... the dude couldn't dial a blitz if his life depended on it... talk about predictable. It was Eli who threw the INTs not Gilly...

That was a back breaker but Eli needs to take just as much blame on the throw as Scott. Eli was not under pressure and could have easily waited another second or pulled it back and tried another throw. I know timing throws can be dicey but that seemed like an Eli brain fart and to be honest if that was supposed to be a screen play it was terribly executed. Anyway Wilson is good but this is starting to look really bad for the kid. Not only were the 2 fumbles bad but he only averaged 2.7 yards per carry. Scott played better in relief.

The one bright spot was Randle. Played very well.

No he wasnt under pressure. But he delivered the throw exactly when he needed to because thats when the blockers were in position. Scott was late in response. Thats all on Scott. Not Eli at all. But then again.....sometimes its just a shitty day when something you tip goes into the opposition's hands like it was directed a.k.a Wayne's TD in preseason. Let it all rest and lets rip the Broncs next week.

Thing is, Da'Rel Scott also cost the team a touchdown... he didn't get around on that screen pass, result = pick 6. I wager Wilson would have made a play on that ball. So Wilson is going to have to play, and play a lot, because Scott is every bit as mistake prone.

agreed 100%. that benching bullshit might've cost us the game.

it drives me insane wondering if he would've won that extra game that would've put us in the playoffs last year if coughlin hadn't benched wilson for 2/3rds of the season because of ONE FUMBLE

Agreed.

Flexibility is good in an offense, but there's a difference between being flexible and being a contortionist.

I'm not going to disagree with anyone who said Eli lost the game for us, those 3 interceptions were back breaking.

Here's the thing. Ever since 2011 the Giants plan has been: oh lets play middling football for 57 minutes and "save us, Eli."

Sooner or later the running game is going to have to win us a game. Sooner or later the defense is gonna have to pull their heads outta their asses and win a game for us. I can't name one position that has gotten better from 2011 since wide receiver.