SportsWrath

0-1. So now what?

Sephiroth

off the top of my head these schools are all BCS schools and are all highly regarded for their academics

Michigan, BC, Vandy, Stanford, Ill, Northwestern, UConn, Duke, NC, UCLA, Notre Dame

Oh, those are all great schools, but they're also the exceptions that prove the rule.

Much respect to Notre Dame, most notably but far from the only one, for refusing to water down their academic standards merely to field a good football team.

And Tree, I'm not intending to use the athletes as the barometer for a school's academics. Rather I'm using the school as a barometer for the player.

I'm just saying that with some colleges, if a player went there you know they're probably a smart guy or they worked hard to get there, or some combination thereof; basically, their head is probably on straight. Notre Dame is a good example, Brady Quinn not withstanding.

With others - and you can certainly count Michigan or Boston College on this list - you don't really know that you're getting somebody that is truly up to the standards of the university as a whole.

I don't think he is either, I'm just throwing shit out there. Because we know there has to be something more than the fumbles, something that is causing Coughlin to keep this guy on a damn short leash. Maybe its just the 'I'm going to the hall of fame' comments, maybe Coughlin is trying to keep his head on straight.

Traditionally, Coughlin has never put up with young players who cause turnovers. He'll let a veteran get away with that (Bradshaw) but never a young guy. Parcells was the same way.

off the top of my head these schools are all BCS schools and are all highly regarded for their academics

Michigan, BC, Vandy, Stanford, Ill, Northwestern, UConn, Duke, NC, UCLA, Notre Dame

Anyone up for a quick game of "which doesn't belong and why"? My daughter was a good, not great student in HS - 3.6 GPA, fair SATs, track & softball for extracurricular stuff. She could not have gotten within shouting distance of most of those schools......with the exception of one who accepted her about 20 minutes after she applied. Anyone care to guess?

Anyone up for a quick game of "which doesn't belong and why"? My daughter was a good, not great student in HS - 3.6 GPA, fair SATs, track & softball for extracurricular stuff. She could not have gotten within shouting distance of most of those schools......with the exception of one who accepted her about 20 minutes after she applied. Anyone care to guess?

Well...of the schools listed, I would have to go with BC, NC, or UCLA which are not known for their extensive academics and don't really belong on that list.

Seeing you're from NJ, I'm going to guess NC. If you don't mean that list, I'd guess Rutgers or a local community college.

I guess UCLA.

2nd choice is North Carolina.

Well...of the schools listed, I would have to go with BC, NC, or UCLA which are not known for their extensive academics and don't really belong on that list.

Seeing you're from NJ, I'm going to guess NC. If you don't mean that list, I'd guess Rutgers or a local community college.

with all due respect, BC, NC and UCLA are all excellent academic schools. I dont know where youre getting that theyre not known for their academics..BC especially.

with all due respect, BC, NC and UCLA are all excellent academic schools. I dont know where youre getting that theyre not known for their academics..BC especially.

Agree. UCONN does not belong on the same list with the others mentioned. Not that it's a bad school but when you throw around names like Northwestern, Stanford, Duke, Vandy, Michigan & yes, BC....uconn is not in that conversation. In fact, Uconn isn't as highly ranked academically as Rutgers.

Yeah, I just realized, I said UCLA... but was thinking of USC the entire time. UCLA, Cal, those are damn good schools.

But it really depends on what program you're in. A lot of the big state universities are hit and miss.

For example, Clemson has a bad reputation overall, I've heard people trash it on several occasions. But they have a top notch agriculture program.

Agree. UCONN does not belong on the same list with the others mentioned. Not that it's a bad school but when you throw around names like Northwestern, Stanford, Duke, Vandy, Michigan & yes, BC....uconn is not in that conversation. In fact, Uconn isn't as highly ranked academically as Rutgers.

Never knew that.

Still, getting accepted and going to any college is a good thing.

Yeah, I just realized, I said UCLA... but was thinking of USC the entire time. UCLA, Cal, those are damn good schools.

But it really depends on what program you're in. A lot of the big state universities are hit and miss.

For example, Clemson has a bad reputation overall, I've heard people trash it on several occasions. But they have a top notch agriculture program.

yeah, cal Berkeley is another bcs school that's excellent academically.

State schools for the most part aren't as good, but there are exceptions

They may be good (better than some) in academics, but they're not in the league with Vandy, Northwestern, Stanford, and Duke. These schools are a cut above the others on the list. They could easily fit into the Ivy Leagues.

On the second tier of academic excellence in schools that put a high priority on athletics are state financed schools NC, UCLA, Michigan, etc., and belong in a different conversation. Compared to schools like Kentucky or Miami, they are Ivy league status.

Not sure why BC is in the conversation. I think having the word "Boston" in it, reminds people that it's part of Harvard or MIT. It ain't!

They may be good (better than some) in academics, but they're not in the league with Vandy, Northwestern, Stanford, and Duke. These schools are a cut above the others on the list. They could easily fit into the Ivy Leagues.

On the second tier of academic excellence in schools that put a high priority on athletics are state financed schools NC, UCLA, Michigan, etc., and belong in a different conversation. Compared to schools like Kentucky or Miami, they are Ivy league status.

Not sure why BC is in the conversation. I think having the word "Boston" in it, reminds people that it's part of Harvard or MIT. It ain't!

I think youre confusing Boston College with Boston Univerisity..an easy mistake..BU is not a great school..but its prettty good too..BC on the other hand is a great school. BC is ranked like number 30 in country..if youre not confusing BU for BC, youre way off on this one dude.

I think youre confusing Boston College with Boston Univerisity..an easy mistake..BU is not a great school..but its prettty good too..BC on the other hand is a great school. BC is ranked like number 30 in country..if youre not confusing BU for BC, youre way off on this one dude.

heh, I was just perusing the latest US News/World Report rankings. I take back what i said about USC, they had it ranked in the top 30 as well. You were dead on regarding BC, and BU was just behind them at like #40.

As someone who recently went through the college research and choosing process, I can tell you that BOTH BC and BU are VERY difficult to get into! My daughter didn't apply to either but with the credentials I mentioned above - 3.6 (from one of the higher ranked HS's in the state), fair SATs, two sports - she probably would not have been accepted at either one.

the one that didn't belong was uconn. it's not even a top 50 school and the rest of those are top 30 schools

Huh???? Vandy is one of the top schools in the nation for academics. UNC ranks among the top among public schools, but it's still a public school which never is in the same conversation with private schools. I graduated from Binghamton University, which is called a "public ivy" (same with Michigan and UNC), but it was no more academically challenging to me than Cortland State that I attended for two years (in fact was easier). It was more academically focused than Syracuse U. where I went for a year of grad school, but there is no way Bing U is on an Ivy league status.

It has a lot to do with marketing and promoting one's school as being academically better than others. It's a lotta crap IMO.

Huh???? Vandy is one of the top schools in the nation for academics. UNC ranks among the top among public schools, but it's still a public school which never is in the same conversation with private schools. I graduated from Binghamton University, which is called a "public ivy" (same with Michigan and UNC), but it was no more academically challenging to me than Cortland State that I attended for two years (in fact was easier). It was more academically focused than Syracuse U. where I went for a year of grad school, but there is no way Bing U is on an Ivy league status.

It has a lot to do with marketing and promoting one's school as being academically better than others. It's a lotta crap IMO.

What did any of that have to do with UConn? Are you internetting without your glasses again?

What did any of that have to do with UConn? Are you internetting without your glasses again?

Well....just seeing some of the schools thrown into the list with Vandy, Duke, Stanford, etc., made me laugh. UConn is a giants sized 4-year community college - some of the others don't really belong in the same category either.

Just nitpicking about the list that was thrown out as "academic" schools. I see it all the time and it sticks in my craw when I see schools like this thrown in with a group that includes Stanford. No big deal - just nitpicking.

Well....just seeing some of the schools thrown into the list with Vandy, Duke, Stanford, etc., made me laugh. UConn is a giants sized 4-year community college - some of the others don't really belong in the same category either.

Just nitpicking about the list that was thrown out as "academic" schools. I see it all the time and it sticks in my craw when I see schools like this thrown in with a group that includes Stanford. No big deal - just nitpicking.

Yes, but Herc said the same thing; that UConn didn't belong on that list.

UConn is ranked 25 spots higher than Binghamton...just saying. UConn is the 19th ranked Public school, Binghamton is 44.

And Ivy League doesnt mean too much these days..schools like Stanford, Vandy, RPI, Williams(for Liberal Arts), Chicago and many, many others, are just as good..if not better than the Ivy league schools..also depends on what youre going for.

I'm not sure about those US News rankings... I was shocked at some of the schools they had ranked highly. Maybe things have changed since I was going through that process, but I see schools that gladly accepted what I knew to be very non-academic people, just average students with average test scores, up in their top 50, alongside much more difficult to get into schools. Got to be bullshit.

I'm not sure about those US News rankings... I was shocked at some of the schools they had ranked highly. Maybe things have changed since I was going through that process, but I see schools that gladly accepted what I knew to be very non-academic people, just average students with average test scores, up in their top 50, alongside much more difficult to get into schools. Got to be bullshit.

You get high points for "diversity" in the teaching staff (which sucks because I've had so many professors that I could barely discern what they were saying - especially at Binghamton), and diversity of students, as well as acceptance rates of the top percentile of high school graduates. Also, the more liberal the school - the higher the grade (a completely subjective opinion)

Believe me - they don't teach a different subject or ideas from one school to the next, you can learn the same calculus and physics at any school in the nation......but if the student body isn't made up of students from all over the world with huge diverse backgrounds being taught by teachers who barely speak English.....then the school won't get rated that high. So schools make goals to fit that model that gets them ranked higher than other schools.

And then in the end, it's all about marketing the school. I know that Binghamton University has a ridiculous budget for marketing their school and thus, is the crown jewel of the 64 college/university SUNY system. I get the quarterly alumnus magazine and it seems every professor that gets highlighted in the mag is from anywhere but the U.S. and is proud of their inability to speak English. They pride themselves in the most liberal stances they can come up with staging protests, stopping traffic, attempting to get national attention, etc.

It's all a bunch of hokum!