SportsWrath

2023 Off-season signings

Mr. P

The issue is the RBs in the buzz currently - even though CMC has an injury history thats worse than Barkley, but he lucked out and got traded and a contract just in time. This time around its Ekeler, Henry and Cook - all 3 who have had injury issues in the recent past (or getting up there in age) - its because of these 3 that Barkley's being bucketed along with them and finding it hard to get something long term. 3 years 35 Mill seems reasonable though.

12 hours ago, boohyah said:

He's not making that anywhere. These guys will get good contracts with the teams they've become stars with, but no one else is going to bring them in as big name free agents. 

Saquon will sign the tag, he'll just kick up a fuss before he does and skip camp probably. And then he'll get the agents to get his deal done. 

I hope so, I don't want to buy a new jersey for a couple of years.

I hope Barkley becomes realistic about the situation.   $12M is nothing to sneeze at either.    And he knows teams have to deal with cap space.    I think he signs a deal before the season starts... something in-line with the market but a save-face deal with incentives.  

11 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

The issue is the RBs in the buzz currently - even though CMC has an injury history thats worse than Barkley, but he lucked out and got traded and a contract just in time. This time around its Ekeler, Henry and Cook - all 3 who have had injury issues in the recent past (or getting up there in age) - its because of these 3 that Barkley's being bucketed along with them and finding it hard to get something long term. 3 years 35 Mill seems reasonable though.

This is part of it. 

The other part is that Barkley is asking for top-tier money and has only been truly healthy for 2 of 5 seasons.  If "the best ability is availability," how good are his abilities, really? 

16 minutes ago, Herc said:

And just like that Jones is bumped down a spot.  He’s not going to end up looking like an overpay when the market shakes out in a year 

Once Herbert and Burrow sign long term deals at $60M per year, Jones' deal will look like a bargain in comparison.

Also Mahomes is kicking himself for $45M per year at 10 years. Should have done that deal over 5 years, so he could resign at like $70M in 2025 or something.

32 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

This is part of it. 

The other part is that Barkley is asking for top-tier money and has only been truly healthy for 2 of 5 seasons.  If "the best ability is availability," how good are his abilities, really? 

well we just paid Jones. 

Jones should offer to kick part of his paycheck to Barkley really. 

18 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Once Herbert and Burrow sign long term deals at $60M per year, Jones' deal will look like a bargain in comparison.

Also Mahomes is kicking himself for $45M per year at 10 years. Should have done that deal over 5 years, so he could resign at like $70M in 2025 or something.

His agent is really kicking himself for that deal..  Mahomes could take some solace in the fact he is rich as fuck and should be the center piece of a very good team for the rest of his career, with the potential to unseat Brady as the GOAT.

32 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Yeah, he's not kicking himself. No one has a 10 year deal and that guy and will own half of Kansas City by the time he's done. Plus anytime he wants he can and probably will renegotiate that deal. 

Another thing to factor in on mahomes’ end with that contract is that kc basically bought out the last two years of mahomes rookie deal and paid him 63 mil in sign on bonus plus his salary and bonus increases in those two years.  Nobody gets that 3 years into the league.  Most extensions get worked out after 4 at earliest 

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

Well it's football and injuries happen... I mean does it really matter if you have $100M vs $120M?

29 minutes ago, boohyah said:

That said that's a big number for hurts and it's going to bring the eagles back down to earth in the next few years. Ravens must be fuming today knowing they have to contact Lamar with this number out there.

The Ravens have been dicking around with Lamar... I mean why fuck with the guy who's produced a ton for you?   

31 minutes ago, boohyah said:

Yeah, he's not kicking himself. No one has a 10 year deal and that guy and will own half of Kansas City by the time he's done. Plus anytime he wants he can and probably will renegotiate that deal. 

Yeah Mahomes got a half a billion dollar contract over 10 years guaranteed.

No player gets that type of security. 

Jones only has two years of security essentially. 

Herbert and Burrow will both probably be 6 year ish deals with some outs in the final years. 

Mahomes contract with genius not only for him but the team. 

7 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Yeah Mahomes got a half a billion dollar contract over 10 years guaranteed.

No player gets that type of security. 

Jones only has two years of security essentially. 

Herbert and Burrow will both probably be 6 year ish deals with some outs in the final years. 

Mahomes contract with genius not only for him but the team. 

It's not all guaranteed. Only $141M of it is.

Watch, by 2028, he'll be asking for a new deal, even though he'd have 4 years left on his deal.

7 hours ago, gmenroc said:

So Hurts signs with Eagles...at 51m per.  5 years, 255m....something like 180m guaranteed.

Lol..he ain't that good.

Good deal for both sides though.

They wont have to match the Burrows or Herert contracts and Hurts gets to stay in a system that suits his style of play.

7 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

Jets love prima donna washed up Green Bay QB's.

They’re trying to squeeze in a championship.   While I don’t necessarily agree with their strategy, I understand it.   Rodgers is still a force but not for long.

Rodgers is just fucking weird.  Like he wants to be a hermit/hippy but loves the attention too much.

He's got 2-3 years tops.  I think the Jets could still struggle to win division and are still likely 3rd in AFC at best behind Buffalo and KC.  And that cat in KC ain't goin no where, sooo good luck to you Jets for giving up the picks.

Not a bad deal at all for Green Bay.  If Love aint the guy, they'll be able to move on pretty easily.

1 hour ago, gmenroc said:

Rodgers is just fucking weird.  Like he wants to be a hermit/hippy but loves the attention too much.

He's got 2-3 years tops.  I think the Jets could still struggle to win division and are still likely 3rd in AFC at best behind Buffalo and KC.  And that cat in KC ain't goin no where, sooo good luck to you Jets for giving up the picks.

Not a bad deal at all for Green Bay.  If Love aint the guy, they'll be able to move on pretty easily.

The AFC is a fucking powerhouse and will be for awhile, the QBs in that conference it's just a giant arms race right now.

As Nas said I understand why they made the move, Wilson looks like a future XFLer and their defense and skill positions are ready to win now.

Rodgers is a year removed from the MVP and even in a down year with no starting WRs until Watson got his shit together and one of the worst defenses in the NFL they still managed 8 wins. 

However the guy might play only one more year before he goes into another dark hole for a week again and comes out saying he wants to be Houston Texan or a crystal salesman.  

32 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

The AFC is a fucking powerhouse and will be for awhile, the QBs in that conference it's just a giant arms race right now.

As Nas said I understand why they made the move, Wilson looks like a future XFLer and their defense and skill positions are ready to win now.

Rodgers is a year removed from the MVP and even in a down year with no starting WRs until Watson got his shit together and one of the worst defenses in the NFL they still managed 8 wins. 

However the guy might play only one more year before he goes into another dark hole for a week again and comes out saying he wants to be Houston Texan or a crystal salesman.  

Oh...he is def an improvement to what they had and probably gives them another 3 wins...think they had 7 or 8 last year...so not a bad signing...but there is additional risk cause Rodgers is just strange and unpredictable...not something I would be overly interested in investing that heavily in.

Maybe Jets sneak in a clause to hedge against some of that somehow, but kinda doubt it.

7 hours ago, Nas said:

They’re trying to squeeze in a championship.   While I don’t necessarily agree with their strategy, I understand it.   Rodgers is still a force but not for long.

5 hours ago, gmenroc said:

3 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Green Bay made out like bandits and are laughing all the way past the graveyard.  Green Bay always looking for marks going back to their solid deal with the Giants in the 1960s when the Giants let them have their defensive coordinator Vince Lombardi and Green Bay agreed to give him back to the Giants after three years.  Well, they reneged on that and have been heisting franchises ever since.  I hope Green Bay chokes on those picks.  The Jets need to learn really quickly not to give Green Bay shit.