SportsWrath

2023 Off-season signings

Mr. P

2 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Giants offered 12m per.  He wanted more.  Did not sign.  Giants tagged him for 10m.  In meantime, the RB market value continued to crash and now 12m seems a bit too high compared to rest of RBs in league so Giants took 12m off the table until Barkley lowers his asking price

Barkley better pray he doesn't get injured this year, or else nobody comes close to giving him $12M per year in 2024.

Having said that, can't the Giants just tag him again in 2024, then the contract value goes up 20% (if I'm not mistaken), so only about $12M.

Seems fair for the Giants; it's like a 2 year $22M contract, $10M in 2023, $12M in 2024.

23 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Barkley better pray he doesn't get injured this year, or else nobody comes close to giving him $12M per year in 2024.

Having said that, can't the Giants just tag him again in 2024, then the contract value goes up 20% (if I'm not mistaken), so only about $12M.

Seems fair for the Giants; it's like a 2 year $22M contract, $10M in 2023, $12M in 2024.

Giants better pray he doesn’t get hurt as well 

1 minute ago, The P said:

Giants better pray he doesn’t get hurt as well 

Yeah that too. I'd love to see a mid round RB selection this draft as insurance.

Not that there wouldn't be a drop off without Barkley, but the guy averaged 4.4 YPC last year...that's good, but nothing special.

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

First year tag is average of top 5...which is where the 10m comes from.  2nd year tag...think you are right at 20% added...so average top 5 and add 20%...tagging next year could save Giants money cause average of top 5 might actually decease...so might not even be 12m.

Would be a dick move though to your team captain to tag 2x.  But yeah, I am in the 3 year, 36 mil camp...fully guaranteed with a max 5% annual clawback if he misses more than 4 games.

Or we tag him again...as much as that would be unpopular with the team.

Barkley has not proven that he can go through a full season uninjured.  Yes, last year he played in 16 games but there were about six in the middle where he was significantly hampered and very ineffective. 

We need to come out of this draft with our RB of the future, preferably two, cuz sadly Barkley ain't it. 

7 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Barkley has not proven that he can go through a full season uninjured.  Yes, last year he played in 16 games but there were about six in the middle where he was significantly hampered and very ineffective. 

We need to come out of this draft with our RB of the future, preferably two, cuz sadly Barkley ain't it. 

Not opposed to taking a RB...but Barkley isn't exactly washed up either.

Don't think there is a RB of the future anymore.  By time future gets here, teams move on to younger and cheaper

2 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Not opposed to taking a RB...but Barkley isn't exactly washed up either.

Don't think there is a RB of the future anymore.  By time future gets here, teams move on to younger and cheaper

Oh yeah, by future I meant "next three years."

Modern championship teams don't need a top tier RB. A top tier RB is a "nice to have" but not necessary. If you're using a 1st rounder or paying an RB in excess of $12M on a multi year contract without all your other bases covered (eg OL) you're doing it wrong like 99% of the time.

Give me a guy like Tank Bigsby or Kendre Miller in the 3rd or 4th who can grind out 4 yards per carry, tough out gains in between the tackles, and pass protect, along with a 3rd down back as well (Eg Keaton Mitchell in the 6th), and we'll be fine.

Yeah...I agree...though I'd offer the generational talent caveat.  You think you got Barry Sanders available, you take that guy.

And I think that was the mindset around Barkley.  He is a classy guy who works hard and had all the talent in the world coming out.  Don't regret he pick at all despite whatever underperformance folks point to.

But too, the game has changed a good bit.  RBs are devalued.  Running in general outside of the QB position is much less of a focus.  The run and pass have switched in importance.  So yeah...don't need the bell cow anymore taking 25-30 touches a game.

On 4/13/2023 at 1:03 PM, Sephiroth said:

Running backs take a beating and I don’t think injuries should be held against them.   

4 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Not sure...guessing it's 20% on whatever he gets this year to avoid the net of 0 if RB market crashes 20%

Yeah that’s why I’m wondering.  I’m too lazy to research rb salaries next year but I’m wondering if it’ll go down due to elliot being cut 

1 hour ago, Herc said:

Yeah that’s why I’m wondering.  I’m too lazy to research rb salaries next year but I’m wondering if it’ll go down due to elliot being cut 

A player that receives a franchise tag for the second time sees their salary automatically increase by 20%. If the player receives the tag for a third time, their salary jumps by 44% from the previous year

So it's 12 mil next year if tagged a 2nd time...which would likely cause a holdout and peeve off the rest of the team.

The impact of these negotiations on other players attitudes is a bigger concern to me than actually having Barkley back

Rumors are Dalvin Cook is getting the axe in Minny and Henry is more than likely to be cut by the Titans.

What an awful year for Barkley to try and get a contract of value when the entire league is just jettisoning starting RBs because of cost lol 

14 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Rumors are Dalvin Cook is getting the axe in Minny and Henry is more than likely to be cut by the Titans.

What an awful year for Barkley to try and get a contract of value when the entire league is just jettisoning starting RBs because of cost lol 

I think 10-12M isn’t too bad anyway.   I’m a bit confused because I remember reading that Barkley wasn’t looking to “reset” the RB market.

He’d have to make more than $16mil a year to “reset the market”

I’d pay him 16. 

and we also don’t know what the rest of the contract looked like that they offered him.  

Barkley is going to get "Giants" money here in that there's the market and then there's loyalty money.  I don't think the Giants will go over the 12million mark and I dont think the issue is per year, but guarenteed money.  They don't want to get killed if they were to release him later.

The Giants aren't screwing Saquon, the agents are. Completely mismanaging the market. It's their job, they should know better.

Just now, boohyah said:

Barkley is going to get "Giants" money here in that there's the market and then there's loyalty money.  I don't think the Giants will go over the 12million mark and I dont think the issue is per year, but guarenteed money.  They don't want to get killed if they were to release him later.

The Giants aren't screwing Saquon, the agents are. Completely mismanaging the market. It's their job, they should know better.

Yeah whoever Barkleys agent is needs to really face the reality of the RB market in todays NFL.

Yes Barkley is a top 5 RB, yes he's a franchise guy, yes I want him on the team until the day he retires or his legs fall off, however the NFL does not value RBs as it once did. Teams are having to pay players more and more and RB looks like its the position that is getting the fat trimmed from it.

I'm willing to bet the NFLPA steps in at some point because these guys who get used like workhorses in a position that often than not spits out broken down players before their mid 20s are over, are basically being told "Play for nothing compared to your production on the field"

Anyways Barkley probably should of signed a contract before it got to this point but even so Schoen and Mara have expressed them wanting to make Barkley a Giants for life hopefully something does get done.

9 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Yeah whoever Barkleys agent is needs to really face the reality of the RB market in todays NFL.

Yes Barkley is a top 5 RB, yes he's a franchise guy, yes I want him on the team until the day he retires or his legs fall off, however the NFL does not value RBs as it once did. Teams are having to pay players more and more and RB looks like its the position that is getting the fat trimmed from it.

I'm willing to bet the NFLPA steps in at some point because these guys who get used like workhorses in a position that often than not spits out broken down players before their mid 20s are over, are basically being told "Play for nothing compared to your production on the field"

Anyways Barkley probably should of signed a contract before it got to this point but even so Schoen and Mara have expressed them wanting to make Barkley a Giants for life hopefully something does get done.

Barkley will be going into his 7th season next off-season in 2024. I can't see a competent GM paying him a big time contract. $14M max MAYBE.

2 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Barkley will be going into his 7th season next off-season in 2024. I can't see a competent GM paying him a big time contract. $14M max MAYBE.

That's what I mean though, if you had any player who has top 5 at their position going into year 7, they would be resetting the market or getting something equivalent

The only position this doesnt happen to is RB, or maybe kicker/punter as well lol

I'm not saying the Giants should over pay, just that Barkleys agent really overshot it in the contract talks.

Barkley SHOULD be making 13-15 a year, will any NFL team pay that? I dont know.

He's not making that anywhere. These guys will get good contracts with the teams they've become stars with, but no one else is going to bring them in as big name free agents. 

Saquon will sign the tag, he'll just kick up a fuss before he does and skip camp probably. And then he'll get the agents to get his deal done. 

I hope so, I don't want to buy a new jersey for a couple of years.