SportsWrath

Daboll and Giants working on deal to make him new HC.

BlueInCanada

14 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I don't get why people are so down on the QBs in this draft. Noone has a crystal ball. We all have no idea how they'll turn out. Going into prior drafts, here's a non exhaustive list of QBs who weren't highly regarded pre-draft and had a lot of question marks, who turned out well so far:

- Mahomes

- Russell Wilson 

- Dak Prescott

Decent starting qbs, all of whom I'd take over DJ

- Derek Carr

- Kirk Cousins

- Jimmy G

- Lamar Jackson

- Mac Jones (so far)

Versus QBs who were thought to be locks as franchise QBs but weren't

- Sam Bradford

- James Winston

- Marcus Mariota

- JeMarcus Russell

- Carson Wentz

- RG III

- Sam Darnold

Point is we have no idea. Don't just write off the QBs in this draft class. Don't just assume the 2023 draft will solve our QB issues.

If Daboll and Schoen think they found their next Allen then draft him, I don't care.

I just feel like there's no point because much of the roster is going to be turned over by 2023, and the Oline prospects in this draft far outweight the QB prospects IMO in terms of importance next in 2023 on the team.

We draft the Oline rookies now, by the time a new QB comes in they are hopefully playing at an NFL level.

We draft a QB now, and then build the Oline after, he's getting killed while they work out the rookies shakes.

I'd rather a new QB play behind year two Thomas, then year one Thomas. 

But once again if they think a QB is worth a first or second this draft then take him, like I said it's just my opinion that we can walk away with two solid Oline staters, and a play making defender in our first three picks that will help the core of this team more than a rookie QB for 2023.

Just now, BlueInCanada said:

If Daboll and Schoen think they found their next Allen then draft him, I don't care.

I just feel like there's no point because much of the roster is going to be turned over by 2023, and the Oline prospects in this draft far outweight the QB prospects IMO in terms of importance next in 2023 on the team.

We draft the Oline rookies now, by the time a new QB comes in they are hopefully playing at an NFL level.

We draft a QB now, and then build the Oline after, he's getting killed while they work out the rookies shakes.

But once again if they think a QB is worth a first or second this draft then take him, like I said it's just my opinion that we can walk away with two solid Oline staters, and a play making defender in our first three picks that will help the core of this team more than a rookie QB for 2023.

I'm hoping we can rebuild an OL now, bring in two vets and at least one high draft pick such that any QB will have the protection they need.

3 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I'm hoping we can rebuild an OL now, bring in two vets and at least one high draft pick such that any QB will have the protection they need.

I hope to have a Giants 2005 in 2023 situation, we draft lets say Lindenbaum and Green (and a defender like Hamilton or Odabadodobaba and or QB), next year we have Thomas, Gates/One year FA, Lindenbaum, Price, Green, we stick with Jones and Barkley (cause no one in their damn mind will ever trade for Barkley)

We use the limited cap space to pick up depth and guys who are going to stick around for a couple years, even with most cuts we might have around 25-28 million in cap space, the rookies this year are estimated to be a 8 to 9 million in cap hit post draft, so we are only really running with 15-20 million at most.

In 2023 with much more cap space (80 to 100 million+) we go out and get the best guards we can find, and then let either a rookie QB, or a trade QB come in.

Plus that way Lindenbaum and Green have a year of experience, Price might even step up and we go and find a guard to replace Gates.

The QB we take this year, or QB in 2023 then steps in behind an Oline built of core players and one of the best vet guys money can buy (i.e. McKenzie)

1 hour ago, Pdouble said:

Drafting a qb doesn’t mean we aren’t fixing the oline.  

I'm saying there's more to fix than just Oline and QB.

We are gutting the defense (Peppers, Bradberry, Martinez, Williams, Sexy Dexy, Jackson, are probably all gone) and we are going to need players in the defense as well.

We have a chance to fix the Oline and help the defense with the first three picks. 

We are going to have a roster turnover like Getty did his first two years.

Ideally we maybe get a QB in round two like Strong.

Hamilton or Odabooboo, Lindenbaum and a second round QB who sits behind Jones for a year would be a good draft.

But landing a starting RT in round two would be better like Green. 

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

I don't get why people are so down on the QBs in this draft. Noone has a crystal ball. We all have no idea how they'll turn out. Going into prior drafts, here's a non exhaustive list of QBs who weren't highly regarded pre-draft and had a lot of question marks, who turned out well so far:

- Mahomes

- Russell Wilson 

- Dak Prescott

Decent starting qbs, all of whom I'd take over DJ

- Derek Carr

- Kirk Cousins

- Jimmy G

- Lamar Jackson

- Mac Jones (so far)

Versus QBs who were thought to be locks as franchise QBs but weren't

- Sam Bradford

- James Winston

- Marcus Mariota

- JeMarcus Russell

- Carson Wentz

- RG III

- Sam Darnold

Point is we have no idea. Don't just write off the QBs in this draft class. Don't just assume the 2023 draft will solve our QB issues.

Joe Montana was considered a second stringer out of college at best.  Just goes to show you there are no crystal balls.  I think RG III's injury fucked him up.

2 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

I much rather do this.  I have seen Simms get killed early on along with Eli.  Better that a rookie gets a clean pocket a year from now.

7 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Keep in mind the players that Graham is playing with are all bit gone.

Not to mention a shift in scheme, Buffalo ran a 4-3 base. 

I'd assume Daboll goes with what he's seen. 

I doubt he is going to want to change a scheme that has been working just for the sake of changing it to what he is used to.  Nobody knows who the Giants are going to cut, trade or sign this offseason and that will take shape over the coming weeks.

12 hours ago, Tempest said:

I doubt he is going to want to change a scheme that has been working just for the sake of changing it to what he is used to.  Nobody knows who the Giants are going to cut, trade or sign this offseason and that will take shape over the coming weeks.

We kind of do, they're over the cap so they won't be very active in free agency, and there are only so many guys they can cut. 

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, TrashTalker92 said:

Sooooooooo, is DJ the answer?  

Yes.  I have been reluctant given use of his legs carrying him as I've mentioned dozens of times. While this game featured his running, he was accurate as hell throwing, didn't put the ball in harms way, and hit the 300 yd mark...in a playoff game.  The decision at the end of the game to take a sack instead of throwing it away, when he had plenty of time to do so, to keep the clock running was awfully impressive awareness in the moment.

This was the convincing game I was waiting for.  Jones shut up every doubter with this one.  All set to make Jones, Barkley, Thomas, Lawrence, McKinney, and Daboll lifetime Giants.

2 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Yes.  I have been reluctant given use of his legs carrying him as I've mentioned dozens of times. While this game featured his running, he was accurate as hell throwing, didn't put the ball in harms way, and hit the 300 yd mark...in a playoff game.  The decision at the end of the game to take a sack instead of throwing it away, when he had plenty of time to do so, to keep the clock running was awfully impressive awareness in the moment.

This was the convincing game I was waiting for.  Jones shut up every doubter with this one.  All set to make Jones, Barkley, Thomas, Lawrence, McKinney, and Daboll lifetime Giants.

How can I forget my boy McKinney.   Props to the kid!!

2 hours ago, The P said:

Giants can tell them to wait. It’s up to the team. 

Yeah, and they should...but it cold be a distraction to both coach and player.  Even i I am Wink or Kafka...I am telling these teams to fuck off as I have a current job to do.