SportsWrath

Daboll and Giants working on deal to make him new HC.

BlueInCanada

• BlueInCanada changed the title to Daboll and Giants working on deal to make him new HC.

The good thing about Daboll for next year. He also has OC experience with teams that don't have a franchise QB like the Giants currently.

So he'll be able to manage us through a transition year in 2022 where it finally dawns on Giants ownership that Daniel Jones isn't a franchise QB.

17 minutes ago, mastershake said:

The good thing about Daboll for next year. He also has OC experience with teams that don't have a franchise QB like the Giants currently.

So he'll be able to manage us through a transition year in 2022 where it finally dawns on Giants ownership that Daniel Jones isn't a franchise QB.

A bit premature to give up on DJ, don't you think?   

42 minutes ago, Nas said:

A bit premature to give up on DJ, don't you think?   

I'm okay giving him a shot, as long as there's a plan B purely for health reasons. I.e. we need a competent backup such as Mariota, or we need a 2nd or 3rd round pick, e.g. Sam Howell.

But no, I don't think DJ will successful or prove himself next year, and we had better not pickup his 2023 option this off-season worth around $21M

Agree on riding line with DJ.  Don't pick up option.  Let him play this year and see if Daboll can work him up.  

If (1) there was a good QB in the draft or (2) we missed out on the guy credited for Josh Allen's development...then I'd be more inclined to give up Jones now.

But yeah, starting Jones and upgrading the backup guy I think is way to go for '22...especially if the 1st two picks go towards the offensive line.

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

I'm okay giving him a shot, as long as there's a plan B purely for health reasons. I.e. we need a competent backup such as Mariota, or we need a 2nd or 3rd round pick, e.g. Sam Howell.

But no, I don't think DJ will successful or prove himself next year, and we had better not pickup his 2023 option this off-season worth around $21M

1 hour ago, gmenroc said:

Agree on riding line with DJ.  Don't pick up option.  Let him play this year and see if Daboll can work him up.  

If (1) there was a good QB in the draft or (2) we missed out on the guy credited for Josh Allen's development...then I'd be more inclined to give up Jones now.

But yeah, starting Jones and upgrading the backup guy I think is way to go for '22...especially if the 1st two picks go towards the offensive line.

Agreed.  I wouldn’t waste a single pick on a qb this year though.

Had a feeling they were going to go with Daboll overall and this is all about Daniel Jones right now.  Now if I was Brian Daboll I would have called Patrick Graham about 5 minutes later and have Schoen call him this morning about staying with the team.  I don't think Patrick Graham is ready for the step up to head coach and the jobs he has been offered so far are lateral moves.  Graham has some good things going here and he should continue to build on it.

54 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Had a feeling they were going to go with Daboll overall and this is all about Daniel Jones right now.  Now if I was Brian Daboll I would have called Patrick Graham about 5 minutes later and have Schoen call him this morning about staying with the team.  I don't think Patrick Graham is ready for the step up to head coach and the jobs he has been offered so far are lateral moves.  Graham has some good things going here and he should continue to build on it.

Keep in mind the players that Graham is playing with are all bit gone.

Not to mention a shift in scheme, Buffalo ran a 4-3 base. 

I'd assume Daboll goes with what he's seen. 

I don't get why people are so down on the QBs in this draft. Noone has a crystal ball. We all have no idea how they'll turn out. Going into prior drafts, here's a non exhaustive list of QBs who weren't highly regarded pre-draft and had a lot of question marks, who turned out well so far:

- Mahomes

- Russell Wilson 

- Dak Prescott

Decent starting qbs, all of whom I'd take over DJ

- Derek Carr

- Kirk Cousins

- Jimmy G

- Lamar Jackson

- Mac Jones (so far)

Versus QBs who were thought to be locks as franchise QBs but weren't

- Sam Bradford

- James Winston

- Marcus Mariota

- JeMarcus Russell

- Carson Wentz

- RG III

- Sam Darnold

Point is we have no idea. Don't just write off the QBs in this draft class. Don't just assume the 2023 draft will solve our QB issues.