SportsWrath

Giants create salary cap space

jranieli

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/01...e_giants_c.html

NOTEBOOK

Eli Manning, Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward, Amani Toomer, and James Butler, listen up: There's suddenly more money for the Giants to potentially throw your way in 2009.

And you can thank backup tight end Darcy Johnson for that.

According to NFLPA records, the Giants recently exercised a common practice used by many teams to create more salary-cap room for the upcoming season. Late last month, the team took most of the room on its cap for this season and converted it into a $7.2-million "likely to be earned bonus" for Johnson. At least, that's what its called; the bonus isn't really expected to be earned. And when it's not earned, it becomes a credit on the following season's salary cap.

In this case, Johnson's bonus was for special-teams participation. It's unclear how much Johnson had to participate to earn the bonus, though someone informed of the recently added clause in his contract said he did not reach it. The person requested anonymity because the terms of the deal were not to be discussed publicly.

The Giants now get to add $7.2 million to their salary cap next season. The '09 cap is scheduled to be at least $123 million, which means the Giants' cap will be at least $130.2 million.

The added money could be used to re-sign their impending free agents (Jacobs, Ward, Toomer and Butler are at the top of that list) or to give Manning a new contract. Manning is signed through next season and his contract is expected to be extended at some point

We have to keep Jacobs and/or Ward.

Toomer probably doesn't have too many good years left, even though I love the guy. If we have to let someone go, he might be the odd man out.

Butler is OK but not great. He can stay if the price is right.

I agree.

I dont think butler has been that bad. he's not great, but he doesnt suck either. He's a solid nfl player, not a stud, but he's a decent player. Id like him back...at the right price.

If Kenny Phillips reaches his potential then Butler becomes that much more valuable. Like Polamalu's Ryan Clark.

let ward go, he's a solid player but he clealry benefits from playing behind jacobs. after eli jacobs is the mvp of this offense. we are a completely different team w/o him. he's a special player and not even close to replacable, plus he's the antonio pierce of this offense as far as intangibles and leadership go.

let ward go, he's a solid player but he clealry benefits from playing behind jacobs. after eli jacobs is the mvp of this offense. we are a completely different team w/o him. he's a special player and not even close to replacable, plus he's the antonio pierce of this offense as far as intangibles and leadership go.

agreed. I like Ward too, but I feel like Bradshaw and even Danny Ware could take his place and we'd never miss him.

I agree with the part about Jacobs being the second ID of this offense, but Jacobs's problem is he can only play about 12-13 games per season (regular season).

As much as I like Amani, I don't want him back... unless it's as a #3 WR, which he won't do. His stats and age simply do not add up to bringing him back. It's been fun Amani, but see ya.

I would also rather see Ward move on and let Bradshaw get his carries with ware as the #3.

As long as Butler doesn't break the bank, I wouldn't mind re-signing him.

Otherwise, use that $$ to sign Eli long term and get Jacobs a fair deal.

Personally, Pdubs, I disagree. I think Toomer is one of those guys who will play until they tell him he can't anymore.

True. Amani has already stated he's definitely playing next year. Stink to see him in another uniform, but thems the breaks.

As much as I like Amani, I don't want him back... unless it's as a #3 WR, which he won't do. His stats and age simply do not add up to bringing him back. It's been fun Amani, but see ya.

I would also rather see Ward move on and let Bradshaw get his carries with ware as the #3.

As long as Butler doesn't break the bank, I wouldn't mind re-signing him.

Otherwise, use that $$ to sign Eli long term and get Jacobs a fair deal.

I agree with this almost exactly, except I want Amani for at least 1 more year. The guys leadership, experience and clutch catches are irreplacable.