SportsWrath

Draft Day

Herc

A draft where they clearly valued the skills positions, and trying to get talent at a talent depleted team. 

First two picks are bangers. 

Third round CB has an opportunity to be a starter and rotational player. 

Theo is an exciting pick who can contribute early.

The rest are probably going to be special teamers, etc. 

27 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

A draft where they clearly valued the skills positions, and trying to get talent at a talent depleted team. 

First two picks are bangers. 

Third round CB has an opportunity to be a starter and rotational player. 

Theo is an exciting pick who can contribute early.

The rest are probably going to be special teamers, etc. 

Sounds about right... Tracey seems to be like Wandale to me.....

Werid to think what we are going to do at QB.

Are they really going to trot Jones out there with a 40 million dollar risk of he gets hurt again? A fully guaranteed year three if he's on IR.

I mean the Raiders sat Carr down at the end of the season two years ago to avoid that possibility with his contract.

I guess they just had a couple of guys graded higher than jones, or McCarthy graded higher but not high enough to pass on nabers.  He’s on the team and getting paid either way so I guess that factors in

Overall happy with the draft.  No absolute head scratching wtf moments like taking a QB outta Duke or taking a QB when you just inked a vet to 180 mil.

Gotta read up on these later round guys but initial reactions seem to indicate they are well received.

As previously mentioned, I do think adding at least one to trenches should have been a priority...especially on offensive side.  I know free agents were signed, but keeping that pipeline full is a key to longevity I think.  Same can be said for secondary or pass rush.

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Yeah going full drafts without trenches is the stuff we mocked Reese for. 

I was disappointed by this as well. I really was hoping we'd nab Christian Mahogany in the 6th. Andrew Thomas missed eight weeks with an injury last season and we only scored over 20 points once in that span (Cardinals). If Thomas misses significant time again we can't just not have an offense.

Otherwise though, I'm happy with the overall draft philosophy; take talented players who fell instead of reaching for guys 2-3 rounds early. Except for the linebacker and maybe the corner I expect all these guys to be decent-to-good players.

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

I was disappointed by this as well. I really was hoping we'd nab Christian Mahogany in the 6th. Andrew Thomas missed eight weeks with an injury last season and we only scored over 20 points once in that span (Cardinals). If Thomas misses significant time again we can't just not have an offense.

Otherwise though, I'm happy with the overall draft philosophy; take talented players who fell instead of reaching for guys 2-3 rounds early. Except for the linebacker and maybe the corner I expect all these guys to be decent-to-good players.

More than likely one or two guys are with the team in four years.

Like all teams and their drafts. 

Its a crap shoot... everyone that works out and/or does not work out... it has a ton to do with where they end up... is the team solid and/or up and coming... is the team elite.... is it rebuilding.  LT would have changed any team for the better... I believe that Montana ended up with Joe Walsh and the 49ers... if he ended up with the Jets he would have been middling IMHO.  Move up to today...and I would write that many players fall into this category.  Some are pure busts because they were all world in college and their teams beat up on the equivalent of a high school program for 4-6 games... then they get the NFL where all of the teams are more or less equivalent at a basic level so wins against scrubs are few and far between.

42 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Yes if 2/6 of these draft picks end up as starters, that's an average draft. 3 starters and you have a very successful draft.

Bonus points if another 2 are solid backups and special team contributors.

60% of the Chiefs' roster this year were players they had drafted.

In not saying that this is your post... but there's this weird idea making the rounds that you only need to get 2-3 decent players out of each draft to be successful. Losers like the Giants might be happy with those results, but teams with sustained success usually have at least half of their team having been draft picks of the team.

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

Yes if 2/6 of these draft picks end up as starters, that's an average draft. 3 starters and you have a very successful draft.

Bonus points if another 2 are solid backups and special team contributors.

30 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

In not saying that this is your post... but there's this weird idea making the rounds that you only need to get 2-3 decent players out of each draft to be successful. Losers like the Giants might be happy with those results, but teams with sustained success usually have at least half of their team having been draft picks of the team.

This all ties in with my post I believe.  Busts here might be successes elsewhere.  Elites elsewhere might just be average here.  It is not just what the individual brings but the team they latch onto as well.

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

The Chiefs are a far outlier though.

Simply because they have Mahomes. 

Oh and they also found a hall of fame TE in round three which helps. 

Wasn't it Pdoub who posted it here only 40% of first round picks over the last 10 years have signed with their original team and that number plummets outside of the third round. 

256 players in a draft you're saying there should be more than half that sustainably make it in the NFL? 

Or will be impact players? For the same team?

I dunno man I'll need to see the study on that. 

10 hours ago, boohyah said:

Bellinger didn't really get a chance to develop with Waller on board and the mere fact we were so shit on offense. 

plus the dude spent his first offseason training like a body builder instead of a football player.

hopefully he learned some lessons from that, he came into 2023 jacked but stiff.