SportsWrath

Official petition to draft Michael Penix Jr thread

The Penix hype is over. He's back to being a late 1st to 2nd round prospect. He still may end up a good pro make us eat our words, but I think his draft stock definitely fell. Not top 10.

I'd take Blake Corum in the 3rd, or 4th if he falls (assuming we're letting Barkley walk).

Donovan Edwards looks explosive too, maybe for 2025?

8 minutes ago, mastershake said:

The Penix hype is over. He's back to being a late 1st to 2nd round prospect. He still may end up a good pro make us eat our words, but I think his draft stock definitely fell. Not top 10.

I'd take Blake Corum in the 3rd, or 4th if he falls (assuming we're letting Barkley walk).

Donovan Edwards looks explosive too, maybe for 2025?

My son is all hot on Courm, and I agree if he is there in the 4th round picking him up would be ok.   His size is an issue though...   5'8 and listed as 218...  I think they are sneaking a 20lb plate in his shorts when he steps on a scale.    He does a great job running behind a dominant offensive line, hiding and looking for lanes to open up.   That is not the situation he would be walking into with the Giants.   I would be interested in seeing some of those interior linemen on our draft board.

31 minutes ago, GorillaNJ said:

My son is all hot on Courm, and I agree if he is there in the 4th round picking him up would be ok.   His size is an issue though...   5'8 and listed as 218...  I think they are sneaking a 20lb plate in his shorts when he steps on a scale.    He does a great job running behind a dominant offensive line, hiding and looking for lanes to open up.   That is not the situation he would be walking into with the Giants.   I would be interested in seeing some of those interior linemen on our draft board.

True. His game may not translate to the rigors of the NFL.

1 hour ago, GorillaNJ said:

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

True. His game may not translate to the rigors of the NFL.

I think Corum will be an outstanding NFL back if he lands on a team with a good OL. He's got rare vision and a solid build for taking what the D gives him. 

1 minute ago, Virginia Giant said:

I’m still in on Penix. You can’t put last night on him. There was such a vast gap of talent levels between those two teams. Particularly up front. 

So you are saying he is a natural born Giant QB

15 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

I’m still in on Penix. You can’t put last night on him. There was such a vast gap of talent levels between those two teams. Particularly up front. 

No shit??? DJ would take offense to this!

Going to be interesting to see what happens with the bears.  They kept Eberflus but fired the OC.  Does that mean they believe in Fields? 

If so, Shoen needs to be on the phone looking to trade up if he thinks one of the top-3 guys is "the guy." 

3 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Going to be interesting to see what happens with the bears.  They kept Eberflus but fired the OC.  Does that mean they believe in Fields? 

If so, Shoen needs to be on the phone looking to trade up if he thinks one of the top-3 guys is "the guy." 

I think they do and they’ll trade down.  Fields kinda picked it up in the second half 

4 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

With two picks on the top 10, they can really load up around Fields.

He still sucks next year just draft a new QB in 2025.

Depending on how Harrison JR or Nabbers go off in the combine they may very will pick one of them wit the first pick. 

8 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

With two picks on the top 10, they can really load up around Fields.

He still sucks next year just draft a new QB in 2025.

Depending on how Harrison JR or Nabbers go off in the combine they may very will pick one of them wit the first pick. 

In that case, they might as well trade down, get a bunch more picks and STILL get MHJ or Nabers.

On Williams and Maye, I say again, I'm really not seeing it with them.

Williams has great improv skills as a QB, but what I see is a guy who wants to quickly break the pocket, rather than stand in it, as soon as he sees his first read is covered, and he then goes into improv mode all too frequently. That works in college, and while you need to that in the NFL, you moreso need to be able to stand in the pocket and get through progressions. This is contrast to a guy like CJ Stroud who's the opposite; even in instances where he could break the pocket, he stands in, works through progressions, and makes his throws.

Maye is a little better at staying in the pocket, but I see hesitancy, slowness in his reads, and late throws. All traits that will be exploited in the NFL.

I haven't watched enough of Jayden Daniels, but Bo Nix again seems like the most complete QB to me at this point.

Penix is a guy that may fall to the last 1st early 2nd and make the naysayers eat their words, if he stays healthy.

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

On Williams and Maye, I say again, I'm really not seeing it with them.

Williams has great improv skills as a QB, but what I see is a guy who wants to quickly break the pocket, rather than stand in it, as soon as he sees his first read is covered, and he then goes into improv mode all too frequently. That works in college, and while you need to that in the NFL, you moreso need to be able to stand in the pocket and get through progressions. This is contrast to a guy like CJ Stroud who's the opposite; even in instances where he could break the pocket, he stands in, works through progressions, and makes his throws.

Maye is a little better at staying in the pocket, but I see hesitancy, slowness in his reads, and late throws. All traits that will be exploited in the NFL.

I haven't watched enough of Jayden Daniels, but Bo Nix again seems like the most complete QB to me at this point.

Penix is a guy that may fall to the last 1st early 2nd and make the naysayers eat their words, if he stays healthy.

I would take a flyer on Penix in the late first round and/or high second round.  Don't treat him like the "Messiah" make him carry a clip board, ride the pine and play in a couple of preseason games at most.  Let him play during garbage time during a blowout win or loss.  This is The WAY IMHO.  In the NFL you have to go through at least two quick reads before you run and/or start to improvise.  I agree with you Shakes... you can get away with and succeed in college with that one read and go and/or improvise bullshit.  Those are traits that are easily exploited by DC's and the the CB/SS that are at least awake. 

Everyone in the NFL is exceptional... it is like playing Michigan every week.  There are no Division II schools masquerading as a Division I in the NFL.  Even the crap teams like ours are heads above college programs.  You need a guy who will stand tall on two reads; do them quickly; then the rest is gravy.  We do not need a QB in round 1 unless he is "The GUY" and I would be okay to waiting to next year to draft the "can't miss" QB.  Free agency might be a route to take, and/or just draft a bench warmer in the low first round and or high second or third rounds.  DJ/Tyrod are place holders at best... Tommy Cutlets needs to turn into the next Jesse Palmer and get a new TV dating franchise on his resume really quick. :laugh:

12 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

I dont think the Giants are going the QB way in this draft - unless someone falls in our laps which is highly unlikely. I doubt even MHJ goes past Cards or Chargers. Id be stoked if we land Alt, Olu or Nabers

It is not necessary to get everything this year.... OL, DL and WR would be nice.  Those three positions are more of a priority for me... maybe a decent DB or two.  QB can happen in 2025.

• 2 weeks later...

A second or third on Penix would be a steal.

He's a very gifted passer.

But gawd damn four season ending injuries in college alone, and two in highschool.

The dude is going to be on IR by week 5 if he's lucky behind our Oline. 

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

Penix goes undrafted is the dumbest take I've heard in a really long time. 

Half the league could be justified in drafting a qb in the first rd.  He may drop out of the 1st round, but I highly doubt that happens.  I doubt he drops past 15, but you telling me arguably the best qb in the draft from a talent perspective is sitting there at 26 the Bucs will pass?  

Broncos and Raiders sitting there in the top 15, he doesn't get past both of them.  

On 1/25/2024 at 11:10 AM, Mr. P said:

If we don’t draft a qb early I’ll be super pissed.  

If the 6th pick in the draft is an undersized receiver I’ll be pissed.    

I don’t love the 3rd qb picked but could get on board with it.    Personally I’d say take the top offensive lineman if it’s the Notre Dame kid or Penn State one