SportsWrath

Official petition to draft Michael Penix Jr thread

QB is not the priority now. WR and OL is at this point. You see what guys like Flowers and Rice are doing this year and it's hard to ignore it, And if Joe Alt is there at 6, I take him.

Jones is your QB next year. I can see them draft a QB in the 2nd. I'd also kick the tires on Tannehill to come in as backup.

3 hours ago, boohyah said:

QB is not the priority now. WR and OL is at this point. You see what guys like Flowers and Rice are doing this year and it's hard to ignore it, And if Joe Alt is there at 6, I take him.

Jones is your QB next year. I can see them draft a QB in the 2nd. I'd also kick the tires on Tannehill to come in as backup.

We have a top-10 pick and a QB that not only had a mere 70 QB rating this year, but also never passed the eye test and has had one healthy season in a five year career. The draft is stacked at QB. If this isn't the time to draft a QB, when do you draft one?

I think who's throwing the ball to Flowers and Rice has a lot to do with their success. Who was talking about Nico Collins before CJ Stroud started throwing him the ball?

We have a top ten pick with extra picks for trading up.  

if we don’t end up with a top qb, they fucked up.  Jones might not even be ready to play at the start of the season. 

Time to move on from DJ... draft a QB in the first to third rounds and force feed your pick.  Won't learn on the bench and/or with a clip board in their hands.  Shore up the offensive line so that the rookie QB can be upright most plays and try to win 6-10 games.  In that order.  Strap on for the statement year of 2025, I would write.

On 1/27/2024 at 4:40 PM, Sephiroth said:

We have a top-10 pick and a QB that not only had a mere 70 QB rating this year, but also never passed the eye test and has had one healthy season in a five year career. The draft is stacked at QB. If this isn't the time to draft a QB, when do you draft one?

I think who's throwing the ball to Flowers and Rice has a lot to do with their success. Who was talking about Nico Collins before CJ Stroud started throwing him the ball?

Zay Flowers and Rasheed Rice are playing good football regardless who is throwing the ball to them. Can't keep saying guys are good because other guys are makjng them good.

Nico Collins has been excellent this year and was good last year. Stroud has done the job no doubt, but that Texans team played much better across the board and is clearly being coached better.

I've posted here before that I would draft offensive linemen or defensive linemen every year with the first pick and I still believe that. 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

Penix put on a display at his pro day.  sub 4.6 40, 75 bomb for a completion to end a great throwing display, best high jump and broad jump of any qb this year.  

I have a feeling either Denver or Minnesota will snag him.

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

I have a feeling either Denver or Minnesota will snag him.

I've been thinking he wouldn't get past Minny, couple others.  I never could figure out where this 2nd round stuff was coming from.  

Also read the first guys he talked to after his pro day was Daboll and Shoen.  Would not rule him out at 6

5 has happened twice pretty recently.  The Lawrence draft and the mayfield draft come to mind.  It doesn’t happen often but this is a good qb class

44 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

2nd round grade is likely because he is the 5th best QB in the class and it is rare to have 5 or 6 qbs go in the firat

It's supply and demand. He's a probably more of a 2nd round talent/risk (injury history pushes him down a bit), but there's such high demand for QB's that he'll likely go higher.

15 hours ago, mastershake said:

Desperation mode has set in for Minnesota and Denver. Darnold and Stidham certainly aren't the answers there.

14 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

I've been thinking he wouldn't get past Minny, couple others.  I never could figure out where this 2nd round stuff was coming from.  

Also read the first guys he talked to after his pro day was Daboll and Shoen.  Would not rule him out at 6

If JJ McCarthy is there at 6, I think I'd be happy trading down to 11 with them, possibly grabbing Penis and having an extra first later. 

16 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

If JJ McCarthy is there at 6, I think I'd be happy trading down to 11 with them, possibly grabbing Penis and having an extra first later. 

I would rather have Penix and an extra pick.  You just have to roll the dice.

With Johnson gone the line improves on just that.  Also I don't think the Giants are finished just yet.  First year QB won't see much of the field anyway... So it will be a wash either way.  None of these guys are Eli in my opinion.  It is what it is...

We just got that OT from Raiders, yeah?  I think that helps hedge Neal.  

If we trade down and get Penix mid 1st, I too would prefer that over McCarthy at 6. 

And no doubt the QB position is inflated...especially with QB needy teams at 1,2,3 overall with a couple more in the top 20.

I am guessing 6 go in 1st round.  Top 4 qbs go in top 11.  Penix goes before 20.  Someone trades back into 1st for Nix.

I concur with this... McCarthy may  be all that and a bag of chips.  He may not be.  All of these QB's are pretty much crap shoots.  The thing about the college QB's of today is that most of them are mobile and have a better feel for the pressure.  I have more faith in all of these college QB's than in Duke DJ....