SportsWrath

Draft day thoughts

Tempest

Also what the fuck is this "inconsistent hands" bullshit about Toney.

He had 154 targets and 3 drops his ENTIRE college career at Florida.

Yet they say he as "inconsistent hands"

Fucking Engram dropped 7+ passes this year plus the numerous tipped passes and he went to the pro bowl.

lol 

I'd love it if OT Jenkins somehow fell to us, but I won't cry if we get a stud EDGE either.

My 2nd Rd Wishlist, after extensive research;

Azeez Ojulari, OLB

Teven Jenkins, OT

Landon Dickerson, C

Joseph Ossai, EDGE

Wyatt Davis, OG

7 hours ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

Am i the only one who thinks DG and the team did a pretty good job here ............

We got an excellent WR who will have immediate impact.

We got 3 extra picks including next year's' 1st rounder ( probably even a top 10 pick because the Bears will be rubbish  )

Our O line played pretty well in the second half of last season and it is not awful. The reason we could not score points last season was more about our terrible WRs not getting any separation ( and of course the crushing loss of #26 )

Sure we could do with more help on the O line and the young guys still need to grow and show improvement. ( but most teams have the same issues )

Im sure DG / Judge and the boys are acutely aware of this and will add some strength and depth to the O line over the next few days

I'm with you UK.  I like both the trade and the pick. When I started looking up WRs a friend months ago, I had Toney as my #4. He's going to be a good player.

7 hours ago, Pdouble said:

I think most of us are good with how the first round played out.  I love having the bears 1st rounder next season.  

Lots of good oline left and some good edge players to be had tonight too.  

Yep. Still lots of first- round talent available.

3 hours ago, mastershake said:

I agree we needed better receivers...but your skill position players are only as good as your OL.

Again, deprioritizing the OL while the OL is mediocre is the giants approach of the last several years.

But they picked heavy oline last year, eventually your picks have to pan out and there’s only one way to do that: don’t draft their replacement every year.

53 minutes ago, Storm said:

But they picked heavy oline last year, eventually your picks have to pan out and there’s only one way to do that: don’t draft their replacement every year.

That's a very good point, Storm.     I actually forgot about that.   

1 hour ago, Storm said:

If 2 of the 3 of drafted OL they picked last year pan out, it'll be a success. But Peart may not be there yet.

There's 3 other positions on the line (don't forget we lost Zeitler). I've said on here before, you can get away with having a developmental guy like Peart starting if you have 3-4 solid OL besides him, but we do not.

Yeah,I wanted Slater at 11, but love the trade down just as much.  Still would've liked the OT or Paye at 20...but I don't hate the WR pick.  He'll do quite well methinks.

That said, to knock it out of the park, they need to hit on pass rush and o line depth tonight.

Do that, and you can claim DG is at least planning appropriately.

33 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I'm hearing a lot of chatter / rumors about the Giants and OL Landon Dickerson in the 2nd round, so maybe my draft prediction is completely off.

there will be some guys that can compete on the interior in the 3rd round too. It isn't unusual for competitive interior offensive linemen to be available in the 3rd round.

34 minutes ago, mastershake said:

If 2 of the 3 of drafted OL they picked last year pan out, it'll be a success. But Peart may not be there yet.

There's 3 other positions on the line (don't forget we lost Zeitler). I've said on here before, you can get away with having a developmental guy like Peart starting if you have 3-4 solid OL besides him, but we do not.

I disagree on Peart. I don't know if he's going to be good, but he's good enough that he won't embarrass himself out there, and then through experience we'll see what he turns into. Thomas will be - has to be - solid, so we can afford to help Peart, if necessary. 

I don't have a prediction, but here are the names I expect to see in the second round...

Christian Barmore - if the plan is for this team's identity to be a stout interior DL, then we could draft to our strength and pick a replacement for Tomlinson.

Undersized Notre Dame Linebacker tm - because I wanted Isiah Simmons, and this guy is the next best thing. Again, a draft to the strength pick. he's a little redundant to Peppers. Versatile defenders that can shift from front seven to DB snap to snap are a key facet of Graham's defense. 

Ojulari or Assai - my kingdom for a pass rusher!

There are a few offensive linemen that seem to be solid picks. Everyone loves Teven Jenkins. He will be a guard at the next level, in my opinion. Which is fine by me, I feel better about Peart than either Hernandez or Lemieux. Dickerson would be a great pick IF the team feels Gates can kick out to G and be at least as effective as he was at C - man is his late season effort underappreciated, he can be a center on my team. I think he can probably be just as good a guard too, but what do I know. 

Someone check to see if shake is still alive after that second round trade...

While we wait on that answer, was reading the NY Post spin on the first round with the Eagles jumping in to snatch Devonta Smith.  I'm glad we didn't draft Smith because I honestly would be surprised he plays 16 games any year while he is in the NFL.  Guys drop weight during the season and he is already rail thin and I do not think he has the durability to last in the NFL.