• Excelled against elite competition

•  

Weaknesses:

• Durability
  • Short
  • Not a large build
  • Questionable ability to hold up in the NFL

•  
  • Summary: Immediately after landing with Florida, Toney flashed big-play ability and looked like had the potential to be a star. During Toney's underclassmen years, the Gators' offense was held back by inconsistent quarterback play along with a weak offensive line - that dysfunction led to a coaching change. Florida was also very deep at receiver, spreading the ball around to a number of future pros. As a result, Toney did not produce much though the air as a freshman (15-152) and sophomore (25-260-1), but did run for 360 yards on 35 carries with a touchdown on the ground over those years.

Toney looked poised to explode as a junior in 2019 after a tremendous season-opener against Miami, but an injury knocked him out for the majority of the year, leaving him with just 10 catches - for 194 yards and a touchdown. Things finally fell into place for Toney in 2020, as he stayed healthy and had a talented quarterback in Kyle Trask to work with. Toney ripped off 984 yards on 70 receptions and scored 10 times. He also took 19 carries for 161 yards and another touchdown. His dynamite 2020 season led to an invitation to the Senior Bowl, where he impressed team sources with his explosive playmaking ability.

Toney is a special wide receiver who is phenomenal at creating separation to get open for his quarterback. There is no doubt he is an explosive playmaker who is a threat to rip off a long gain on any reception. Toney is a truly explosive receiver who has mismatch ability for the NFL. Cornerbacks really struggle to run with Toney, who is extremely quick on top of being extremely sudden and explosive in and out of his breaks. That leads to him easily creating separation, and when he gets the ball, he is deadly. Toney possesses natural running instincts, and he turns into a running back once he gets the ball, gaining tremendous amounts of yards after the catch with his elite explosion and elusive moves in the open field.

What really sets Toney apart is how dangerous he is with the ball in his hands. He has excellent vision to weave around defenders and uses his speed to rip off yards in chunks. Along with his quick first-step, Toney has a second gear and a burst in the open field with some serious explosion. He has quick feet and cutting ability, allowing him to stop-start, stutter step, maintain contact balance, and run tough to get yards after contact. When the ball hits Toney on the run, he is a big problem for defenders because he is tough to grab in the open field with his shifty moves. Toney has enough speed to run away from defenders and take a catch the distance. Toney is superb on screens and jet sweeps to race through the defense.

Toney will bring significant versatility to the NFL. He can line up as an outside receiver and play the X - split end - to challenge teams vertically. Toney also is dangerous out of the slot and could be a tough receiver to defend on underneath routes. With his natural ability as a runner, Toney also could take some carries out of the backfield, alhtough given his size and durability history, that role will need to be limited in the NFL. On top of his offensive skills, Toney is a dynamic returner who could contribute on special teams, but his pro team will probably use him very selectively as a returner to protect his health.

The only real concern about Toney for the next level is durability. He had injury issues prior to his senior year and is undersized. He could have issues staying healthy and avoiding getting dinged up.

From his 2020 season and Senior Bowl performance, there is no doubt that Toney is a playmaker who could contribute immediately in the NFL. He could be a Deebo Samuel- or Curtis Samuel-type weapon as a receiver, runner and returner. Toney excelled against good competition and is ready to hit the ground running as a pro. In the 2021 NFL Draft, Toney could get consideration late in the first round. If he slips to the second night of the 2021 NFL Draft, he should be among the first players to come off the board in Round 2.

Player Comparison: Deebo Samuel Toney's explosive playmaking ability and his dangerous run-after-the-catch skills remind me of Samuel coming out of South Carolina. Samuel was a high second-round pick - 36th overall - in the 2019 NFL Draft and has been a playmaker for the 49ers. Toney could go late in the first round or early in the second round during the 2021 Draft and end up as a playmaker comparable to Samuel in the NFL.

Just now, Sephiroth said:

Don't be discouraged, guys. He's an incredible player. Go watch some YouTube on him; his moves are fucking ridiculous.

Yes going to need to expand his route tree a bit but he's going to be very good for us.

Discouraged?

I thought we were going WR or DE, with a small chance of a OL.

We are going scorched earth on the NFL next year.

How the fuck do they cover the skill positions of the Giants?

Barkley, Golladay, Shepard, Slayton, Toney, Engram, Rudolph, Ross.

4 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

6ft, 198 pounds.

Small but not like he's a kid out there.

And I watch almost no college football.  His highlights he looks shifty as fuck.  But I think I’d prefer a 6’5” plax type wr in the draft and someone who gets after the qb in the first round 

at least we get 2 first round pics next year 

Just now, mastershake said:

We just drafted a WR#3 instead of trying to address our mediocre OL.

When three WR sets are the normal, your WR#3 is a starter.

And also look at all the OL talent dropping.

We can still get a day one guard/tackle in round 2.

3 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Discouraged?

I thought we were going WR or DE, with a small chance of a OL.

We are going scorched earth on the NFL next year.

How the fuck do they cover the skill positions of the Giants?

Barkley, Golladay, Shepard, Slayton, Toney, Engram, Rudolph, Ross.

Shepherd and Slayton got coveted pretty well last year.  Engram drops 2 for every 1 great catch.  That said, with a running game, the balance should return a bit provided Barkley stays healthy.

Still wanted pass rush or offensive line.  Owah and Darrisaw and Paye were the ones to choose from for me.

5 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Don't be discouraged, guys. He's an incredible player. Go watch some YouTube on him; his moves are fucking ridiculous.

He's going to need to expand his route tree a bit but he's going to be very good for us.

He is. After Deandre Baker I didn't think he would be on their board. But he's Waddle, or 98% of him.

He's definitely a character. Hopefully that's the extent of it.

When three WR sets are the normal, your WR#3 is a starter.

And also look at all the OL talent dropping.

We can still get a day one guard/tackle in round 2.

We'll need him for all the 3rd and longs we'll be in, lol.

Normal, winning franchises don't draft a 3rd WR in the middle of the 1st when their OL is shit.

We'll need him for all the 3rd longs we'll be in.

Yes and when he takes the ball to the house on a 3rd and 7 multiple times a year we can enjoy some more wins.

Almost like we drafted a playmaker to make plays.

But I guess that's none of my concern.

4 minutes ago, mastershake said:

We just drafted a WR#3 instead of trying to address our mediocre OL.

He's not WR3, he's Ochocinco. And our receivers were a Golladay away from being a much worse group than the OL. 

I don't know, he is not what I was expecting. But he can definitely play.

Also all the "SHOULD OF WENT OL!!@@!!!@@#@!!"

People got to realize there is a ton of second round OL guys who are going to be day one starters.

Wyatt Davis/Jackson Carman are both day one guards

And we have a 5th now from da' Bears. 

1 minute ago, BlueInCanada said:

Yes and when he takes the ball to the house on a 3rd and 7 multiple times a year we can enjoy some more wins.

Almost like we drafted a playmaker to make plays.

But I guess that's none of my concern.

Too bad we won't see that this year, with this OL.

Then again, normal, winning teams don't go into the draft having done nothing to address their mediocre OLs in free agency.

Like I said to Tree.

It's almost like there is more than one round to the draft.

And still players being released cut before camps and the season.

Funny how the NFL works.

2 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Like I said to Tree.

It's almost like there is more than one round to the draft.

And still players being released cut before camps and the season.

Funny how the NFL works.

We're one mid round draft pick away from transforming this OL? I'll bet you anything DG doesn't draft an OL until round 3 or later. He obviously doesn't think it's a need if he's passing on Slater and Tucker.

3 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Too bad we won't see that this year, with this OL.

Oh ok lol

Jones average pocket time in 2019; 2.5 seconds <-- Offense ranked top 20.

Jones average pocket time in 2020; 2.5 seconds. <-- Offense ranked bottom 30.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/2020_advanced.htm

Jones has had the time time in the pocket.

The scheme changed and the fact reamins we had no playmakers on the offense last year.

This team is a joke. A fucking joke! Our OL is one of the shittiest lines in the NFL. We just lost our BEST OL in free agency. But we draft a WR knowing full well our OL can’t protect for more than a fucking second. I’m so angry right. I almost slammed my phone. Fire that stupid fuck now. 

Just now, NeMesiS said:

This team is a joke. A fucking joke! Our OL is one of the shittiest lines in the NFL. We just lost our BEST OL in free agency. But we draft a WR knowing full well our OL can’t protect for more than a fucking second. I’m so angry right. I almost slammed my phone. Fire that stupid fuck now. 

Bingo...you're spot on.