SportsWrath

Draft day thoughts

Tempest

11 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

It's almost like there is more than one round in the draft to address a position with.

I'm well aware of that, I don't hate the pick and I have no idea if there was an OL worth drafting at #20 either. Just throwing out my usual killjoy snark to your annual draft homerism.

Edge players started flying off the board in the last 10 or so draft picks, and DG already indicated Edge is a priority, therefore I expect him to target guys like Ossai, Ojulari, Ronnie Perkins, or Hamilcar Rashad with the #42 pick.

CB Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB Aaron Robinson, LB Jabril Cox, LB Nick Bolton are possibilities as well, in terms of what I expect DG to do in round 2.

37 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Edge players started flying off the board in the last 10 or so draft picks, and DG already indicated Edge is a priority, therefore I expect him to target guys like Ossai, Ojulari, Ronnie Perkins, or Hamilcar Rashad with the #42 pick.

CB Ifeatu Melifonwu, CB Aaron Robinson, LB Jabril Cox, LB Nick Bolton are possibilities as well, in terms of what I expect DG to do in round 2.

I hope he names his son Hannibal.

2 hours ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

maybe you should take a short break Shakes ....this O line obsession of yours is eating you up !

....and this is a more talented , better coached team than 6 wins IMHO

regards UK  

Seconded.    It's just one pick and I don't think DG makes those decisions in a vacuum .... if that's what Judge wanted, then so be it. 

You're all free to continue supporting the Giants approach of the last 7 years. How's it working out for you?

Oh this year, the highly questionable OL is going to put it all together? This is the year it's finally going to happen, eh?

Also FYI...DG's free agency this year was not as good as everyone's boasting about either.

I'm looking forward to seeing our new WR3 on the field this season, and looking forward to the two top 15 draft picks in 2022 for the new GM.

I noticed Toney ran lots of Jet sweeps, end arounds, etc...That skillset will serve him well, since the giants will have to run completely around and away from their OL if they want to run the ball successfully.

13 minutes ago, mastershake said:

You're all free to continue supporting the Giants approach of the last 7 years. How's it working out for you?

Oh this year, the highly questionable OL is going to put it all together? This is the year it's finally going to happen, eh?

Also FYI...DG's free agency this year was not as good as everyone's boasting about either.

I'm looking forward to seeing our new WR3 on the field this season, and looking forward to the two top 15 draft picks in 2022 for the new GM.

I noticed Toney ran lots of Jet sweeps, end arounds, etc...That skillset will serve him well, since the giants will have to run completely around and away from their OL if they want to run the ball successfully.

Well, Shepard and Slayton haven’t been part of a successful offense, either, and the receivers combined for what, 9 td receptions? I think the wide receiver position was much more of a glaring need. The Giants signed Fulton specifically to have flexibility at 11. Without receivers this year, the Giants would be for certain drafting a qb next year.

Dove into this on last night’s #BigBlueBanter recap pod but some top-5  #Giants targets for @nickfalato and I include:
1. Azeez Ojulari, EDGE
2. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB
3. Teven Jenkins, OT
4. Landon Dickerson, iOL
5. Creed Humphrey, iOL
If they grab any of them, it’s $$$

https://twitter.com/danschneiernfl/status/1388173360304168960?s=21

Just now, Pdouble said:

Dove into this on last night’s #BigBlueBanter recap pod but some top-5  #Giants targets for @nickfalato and I include:
1. Azeez Ojulari, EDGE
3. Teven Jenkins, OT
4. Landon Dickerson, iOL
5. Creed Humphrey, iOL

Well except the olinemen since it’s confirmed in stone they won’t draft one. 

34 minutes ago, Storm said:

Well, Shepard and Slayton haven’t been part of a successful offense, either, and the receivers combined for what, 9 td receptions? I think the wide receiver position was much more of a glaring need. The Giants signed Fulton specifically to have flexibility at 11. Without receivers this year, the Giants would be for certain drafting a qb next year.

I agree we needed better receivers...but your skill position players are only as good as your OL.

Again, deprioritizing the OL while the OL is mediocre is the giants approach of the last several years.

44 minutes ago, Pdouble said:

1. Azeez Ojulari, EDGE
3. Teven Jenkins, OT
4. Landon Dickerson, iOL
5. Creed Humphrey, iOL

If that Ojulari guy stays healthy David Diehl was talking about how he was a stud like Osi Umanora 

I'd love for us to be one of those teams that year after years gets a blue chip OL in the first couple rounds, but I also like that the WR position is getting the attention it has needed.  Adding Golladay alone wouldn't have been enough, now jones has the physical guy that will come down with the ball in Golladay, the speed guys in Slayton and Ross, the chain mover in Sheppard, and now that x factor that can be put in a lot of places on the field and be explosive with the ball. 

Lots of needs on a team that has been bad for a long time, so it may be oline, edge, cb.  I was honestly hoping for one of the top CBs to fall to 11, thinking we would be going with one of the Bama WRs.  To get a pretty exciting player and a first next year isa pretty good haul. 

10 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Actual footage of me when we passed on Slater:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47mp9mqr1sa3ioqfg08h

lol.   I think you're stressting this a bit too much.    Gmenroc and myself, among others, have been wanting the OL to be the focus and the WR selection came as a surprise... but not enough to get me upset.    I trust Judge's judgement and I think he has a lot of say in the draft.    Besides, hopefully we grab a stud OL in the 2nd or 3rd.     But boy that additional 1st pick next year is looking sexy already.... right out of Belicheck's playbook. 

29 minutes ago, jranieli said:

Shakes, you are always outraged at something. :clap:

When you're always disappointed you can never be disappointed.

It's a win/win as a Giants fan.

They play bad Shakes can say "Fuck y'all I told ya so"

If they play well he can say "I was wrong but who cares they are winning" 

I was at this phase in my Giants fandom before they drafted Eli...even a couple years after that lol 

4 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

When you're always disappointed you can never be disappointed.

It's a win/win as a Giants fan.

They play bad Shakes can say "Fuck y'all I told ya so"

If they play well he can say "I was wrong but who cares they are winning" 

I was at this phase in my Giants fandom before they drafted Eli...even a couple years after that lol 

Joking aside, I feel better about this 2021 team/season than I do 2017-2020...but it could easily go badly, even with a healthy team.

10 minutes ago, mastershake said:

By the way, here's a fun fact.

The last 3 draft picks in the 1st round of this draft were Edge rushers (Oweh, Rousseau, Tryon)...Between the 3 of them, they had 0 sacks in 2020. lol (granted, two of them opted out, but still a funny stat).

No shit? Lol 

What a weird draft.