SportsWrath

Draft day thoughts

Tempest

2 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

We traded our fifth to get another corner when we already have six million fucking DBs?

Correction.

6 million and 1 DBs.

My best guess is they are cutting Beal, Love, etc.

Also remember, Bradberry is a FA in 2023, we could be looking to replace him and Jackson in two years.

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

Someone check to see if shake is still alive after that second round trade...

While we wait on that answer, was reading the NY Post spin on the first round with the Eagles jumping in to snatch Devonta Smith.  I'm glad we didn't draft Smith because I honestly would be surprised he plays 16 games any year while he is in the NFL.  Guys drop weight during the season and he is already rail thin and I do not think he has the durability to last in the NFL.

This is a great point. He’s got Desean Jackson vibes with the injury potential.

9 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

We traded our fifth to get another corner when we already have six million fucking DBs?

I like it. I hate how this team develops oline talent. Just sign those fuckers. 

You can never have enough....CBs, when you might not have an effective pass rush.

3 minutes ago, Storm said:

I like it. I hate how this team develops oline talent. Just sign those fuckers. 

You can never have enough....CBs, when you might not have an effective pass rush.

Yeah Yaidom was cut.

So who were the starting CBs besides Jackson and Bradberry?

Holmes showed promise but was beat by speed.

Who else is on the team? Beal? Love is a converted safety now.

Not like we traded up for a RB or QB lol

1 minute ago, BlueInCanada said:

Yeah Yaidom was cut.

So who were the starting CBs besides Jackson and Bradberry?

Holmes showed promise but was beat by speed.

Who else is on the team? Beal? Love is a converted safety now.

Not like we traded up for a RB or QB lol

Yiadom took a pay cut. He's still on the team. We also have Beal, Love, and Holmes like you've said. All can be spot starters.

Meanwhile we still have no RG, and much better players were there that fit needs (Tremble, Perkins, etc).

I have no idea why you'd trade the only pick away that you have in the 5th to move up five sports to get your 5th corner, maybe.

Just now, Sephiroth said:

Yiadom took a pay cut. He's still on the team. We also have Beal, Love, and Holmes like you've said. All can be spot starters.

Meanwhile we still have no RG, and much better players were there that fit needs (Tremble, Perkins, etc).

I have no idea why you'd trade the only pick away that you have in the 5th to move up five sports to get your 5th corner, maybe.

I'd cut all three for Robinson who's probably competing day one as the slot guy.

All three CBs arent starters in the NFL, Holems showed flashes but nothing else. Beal and Yiadom don't belong on NFL rosters.

About the other players who the fuck knows, or care at this point lol Everyone is a probowler on draft day.

DG got the trade fever, so sit back and enjoy it.

5 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I don't think we ever want any of those guys trying to cover a top starting nfl receiver. I don't think he's the fifth, I think he bumps Yiadom to fifth.

And, looks like a good athlete for special teams. 

22 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Considering the giants are forgoing the 2021 season and setting themselves up for 2022 with a new GM and two top 15 picks, it's a decent pick.

Well the draft really is about 2+ seasons in the future.

So for our 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 5th picks we essentially got 3 x 1st plus a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th:

2 x projected 1st rounders

1 x projected 2nd rounder

1 x 2022 1st

1 x 2022 3rd

1 x 2022 4th

1 x 2021 5th

Can't be unhappy with that.

Rank

Georgia · Edge

New York Giants
Round 2 · No. 50 overall

Ojulari was my No. 22 big-board player ahead of the draft. The Giants now have two firsts, two thirds and two fourth-round picks next season from a series of trades, including the trade down to No. 50. To amass all of these picks and get a top-22 player at a position of need is the definition of value. Ojulari's speed stands out. HIs burst -- which is the speed (velocity) he reaches from the start of a play to the first 2 yards past the line of scrimmage -- was the fastest in FBS last season. Alignment versatility adds another element to blitz and pressure packages.

Pick

New York Giants
(via Dolphins)

Georgia · Edge

The electric pass rusher displays remarkable first-step quickness and closing speed off the edge. Ojulari upgrades the Giants' pass rush with his explosiveness, but he needs to add a few more tools to the toolbox to become an elite pass rusher in this league.

I can understand the thought process behind passing on offensive line talent so far in the draft.  We simply don't need another inexperienced player on this offensive line.    The offensive line at this point needs time to get gel and each individual needs to grow into their respective position. It has been mentioned earlier there is depth in the draft at OL so is it possible that depth extends past the first three rounds?

I don't think that I'll be watching a game this year and wonder why we passed on someone to replace Hernandez or Lemieux.  At the end of this season one of them might not be in the long term plans of the team.

Odds are pretty good that Toney, Ojulari and Robinson get on the field this year and make an impact on Offense/Defense & special teams.

Also keep in mind this Robinson guy seems like a physical player, he's a press corner/DB.

Graham runs A LOT of man to man press, Bradberry is always in the WRs face at the line.

One thing that Yaidom/Holmes/Love failed at last year? Bringing any sort of physicality to the #2/slot corner spot. They were constantly picked on by bigger pass catching targets, be it a TE or WR.

In a passing league, when most teams have three or four receiving threats now, you can't get away with a slot CB or even a 4th CB who can't cover anymore.

It's pretty apparent what the Giants want to do this year, pass the ball and stop the pass.