SportsWrath

Shockey Traded?

Lubeck

ESPN confirms it.

Ahh well. I just bought an Aaron Ross jersey on E-bay for $20, if I list the Shockey jersey now I might get the $20 back.

What are you gonna do?. He's been behaving like a guy who doesn't want to be here, so now he's not here. Looks like it's Boss/Johnson and Matthews.

Amazing to think that in 2 seasons we've lost Tiki/Strahan and Shockey and be superbowl champs. And Tom Coughlin is still here.

LOL!!! The 3 guys who wanted Cheerleader gone before he even arrived....LOL!!! How ironic. Of them all, Michael was the only one to really get with the program without the backstabbing and griping in the wings.

Floyd Reese (From NFL Live) was just on ESPN saying how bad it was for the Giants to loose a member of their SuperBowl team... did we miss something? Was Shockey on the field making plays during the last 5 games? Jesus - the team has 5 TEs in camp, 3 of whom look pretty damn good.

Personally I loved the fire, but it got tiresome towards the end with the flailing of the hands.

One a side note... Anyone want to buy an XL road white and XL home blue # 80? :huh:

I do not see how you trade Shockey and bring in no players for this year. Why not make the move before the draft, when you A) Knew what picks the Saints have and B) Could have filled roster spots for this season.

Maybe the increase in Jersey Sales for everyone replacing their 80's can get them to cut back on the SLA

When I heard that the Redskins gave up a second round pick for Taylor, I thought that was the worst trade of the offseason...

Then Reese came up with this one.

We just got ripped off. :brooding:

It was a second and fourth on draft day and to come back with a second and fifth for a top 5 TE that is going to significantly improve the Saints just sucks. I'd hate to say it but I hope the organization saw something and they feel he is just never going to be the same tight end so its better to unload him now before his value really drops during the season and we wind up cutting him and getting nothing back in return.

Look at the bright side, guys: NO MORE SHOCKEY THREADS! :clap:

Shockey became a very good blocker, but he came into this league as a receiving tight end. Boss did as well, so let's give him a chance.

Our receiving corp. is the strongest and deepest I've seen since I've been a Giants fan. Double-teaming Plax might cause problems with our deep threat, but Smith and Toomer are still great possession receivers. Even if Boss is not Shockey, he is still a receiving threat from that position, and opponents are going to have their hands full. And I didn't even mention guys like Manningham, Jennings, Tyree, Moss, Hixon, or DJ Hall.

As far as the power running game is concerned, what happens if Olivea has his head out his ass, either him or Diehl moves to guard, and Seubert plays TE in short yardage? Or Olivea is used as a TE? Or Koets or Whimper? And that's without mentioning Matthews.

And frankly, I think you guys worried about the running game are selling our oline a little short.

Yeah our O-Line were not out there auditioning for the Rockettes. Shockey stays...Shockey goes. It was a wash for me. But if he wanted out....and it seems the league knew it....then you are not going to get the best deal in the world for him either. I think they got value for what he is right now...not having taken a snap since the broken leg; but this is a lousy deal for the Shockey of his first 3 years here.

LOL!!! The 3 guys who wanted Cheerleader gone before he even arrived....LOL!!! How ironic. Of them all, Michael was the only one to really get with the program without the backstabbing and griping in the wings.

Exactly....and for meeting TC halfway, Strahan retired with a ring, and will take his place among the all-time Giants greats.

I don't get how some of you think we were ripped off. This is MORE than fair value for a player who has unquestionable talent but definitely carries his share of baggage, the least of which is his big mouth, histrionics on the field when things don't go his way, dumb penalties at times that we've all seen him commit (the dead ball personal foul kind), and most importantly, he's a huge injury concern. Realistically, can the Saints expect Shockey to play for them more than 12 or 13 games this year? Truth be told, we came out of this deal nicely. Shockey is no longer an All-Pro TE, and that's what some of you still think he is, because that's how you WANT to remember him. You know who is? Antonio Gates. He doesn't get in trouble, doesn't bad mouth ANYONE, is athletic as hell, pretty durable, and catches a lot of touchdown passes, with rarely a drop. You can't say any of those things about Shockey, except the athletic part.

Just to let you know, we got a better deal for a TE than the Dolphins got for a defensive player of the year at DE, a premium position. Some of the posters here have no idea what fair market value is. You have to remove your homerism from the equation. Shockey was worth a 1st round pick when he was drafted, because he was still young, didn't have injury concerns and all that pounding on his knees over the years. Now, to get a 2nd and a 5th, I'm ecstatic. We should've been jumping for joy for ONLY a 2nd. Reese will turn this deal into a big win for us.

Another thought, why are some of you fretting so much about this season because of Shockey when we ran the table in the playoffs without him against some GREAT teams. We beat the Cowboys, Packers and Patriots without him, I'm pretty sure we will be fine. And although Boss doesn't have all of the accolades and catches that Shockey had, you can see what he has done with his opportunities and he is explosive. He reminds me of Jason Witten and there is nothing wrong with that. He has shown pretty reliable hands and you have to remember he was just a rookie. When Shockey was drafted they had to teach him how to block, too, and he turned out fine. It's time to put our support squarely behind Boss. This is a great challenge to him and I have no doubt with his work ethic he will be up to it and this will really serve to motivate him.

Lastly, I am a prophet. BOW TO ME! Check the very first post in this thread.

I will say that I clearly underrated Shockey's blocking ablility and overrated Boss in the thread, though! :D

Exactly....and for meeting TC halfway, Strahan retired with a ring, and will take his place among the all-time Giants greats.

Tiki will also be remembered as an all-time Giants great. Just sayin'. I don't want to go there but a lot of the outcry against Tiki was media created and it spiraled out of control. I will always have much love for my Tiki bear, lol.

Tiki will also be remembered as an all-time Giants great. Just sayin'. I don't want to go there but a lot of the outcry against Tiki was media created and it spiraled out of control. I will always have much love for my Tiki bear, lol.

He's a few notches below the great Joe Morris, in my humble opinion. :closedeyes:

With Deuce McAllister back, that offense could be smoking if you think about it, Brees, Deuce, Bush, Shockey, Colston. Those are some options to have.

I think Bush is one of the most overrated RBs and well on his way

to being one of the biggest BUSTS of all -time. He's not fast enough

to be a scat back or strong enough to be a between-the-tackles guy.

He was fast enough and strong enough to get away with in in college,

where the USC line opened up huge holes for the guy, but he's been

exposed by NFL Ds. If he doesn't have a breakout year this year,

he's done. He'll likely hang around for a while as a back up, but he's

done nothing so far. His longest run last season was 22 yards, his

only run over 20, and he averaged 3.7 YPC.

I honestly have mixed feelings about this, I've always been a Shockey fan but it may have just been time for him to go, with the shouting match shit and all the other stuff. He just wasn't fitting on the team.

Goodluck Shock, Boss you better step the fuck up.

But a 2nd and 5th? C'mon.

VG, when you consider the amount of injuries the guy has had and how he was such a pain in the ass, I guess a 2 & a 5 are OK. Plus he was clearly a distraction to Eli who simply played better without him.

I think Bush is one of the most overrated RBs and well on his way

to being one of the biggest BUSTS of all -time. He's not fast enough

to be a scat back or strong enough to be a between-the-tackles guy.

He was fast enough and strong enough to get away with in in college,

where the USC line opened up huge holes for the guy, but he's been

exposed by NFL Ds. If he doesn't have a breakout year this year,

he's done. He'll likely hang around for a while as a back up, but he's

done nothing so far. His longest run last season was 22 yards, his

only run over 20, and he averaged 3.7 YPC.

give bush the same patience that the eagles gave westbrook and he'll be fine.

OK maybe next year we turn this into something, but the thing why didn't we do this sooner when we could of gotten a payoff this year. Did JR think Shock was gonna come to his senses and be good boy this offseason LOL!!!!!! Damn we should of done this when Alge Crumpler was still out there, when we could of drafted Fred Davis. First off next year maybe we trade a one and two or two two's for a Brian Cushing. Then we try to get a free agent LB like Angelo Crowell. As far as TE Boss should do well, besides we will put less of an emphasis on TE using more 2RB/3WR sets, as far as Plex being doubled the Pats tried in the Super Bowl Smith,Toomer,Tyree all stepped up. Our recievers our outstanding and we should see 5 playing significant time Plexico,Amani,Smith,Manningham and Moss/Tyree/Jennings whoever survives camp.

Valuations of his talent aside, he left the team no other choice. They had to trade him or otherwise deal with an enormous distraction. He practically begged his way off the team, and his wish was granted. I hope he does well, because I know we'll continue to build on the success we experienced in his absence.

Well since you asked I'll tell you why I think we got the short end of the stick.

Shockey no longer an all-pro TE? He still is and does it in 14 games. Can't get a full season out of him, ok true but he's a lightning rod on offense when he is there. The Saints seem to think that 14 - 15 games of Jeremy Shockey for a second and fifth round pick is a bargain. Put him on the Saints with two maturing WR's and a pro bowl QB, Shockey's numbers are going to be up around with the Saints and Payton controlling the offense. If Shockey puts up 65 catches, 800 yrds, & 10 TD's; that could be just enough to put the Saints on top of their division and in the playoffs.

The things people jump on Shockey for like the penalties, the yelling, etc... Really? What about the penalties Jacobs picks up or Pierce? Ok they can get a pass since they played in the super bowl. How about Burress throwing his hands up in the air in fustration? He can get a pass too because he did catch the game winning touch down.

I always thought it was hillarious how fans wanted Shockey to chillout yet we loved the fire he brought to the offense when it was the worst aspect of our game. We wanted fire out of Manning because we hated the awe shucks look everytime he screwed up. Then that all got flipped: We like the awe shucks look in Manning because he's got ice water in his veins and the fire in Shockey is bad because its throwing off the whole offense and making our QB uncomfortable. Hope Brandon keeps it toned down this season, we might have to replace him if he fires up the offense.

I realize everyone gets excited about draft picks, its like the lotto and you think you're going to win but when you miss in the draft; its a cascade effect that ripples through the team for years. Boss has some pretty big shoes to fill and we can only hope he's ready.

I don't get how some of you think we were ripped off. This is MORE than fair value for a player who has unquestionable talent but definitely carries his share of baggage, the least of which is his big mouth, histrionics on the field when things don't go his way, dumb penalties at times that we've all seen him commit (the dead ball personal foul kind), and most importantly, he's a huge injury concern. Realistically, can the Saints expect Shockey to play for them more than 12 or 13 games this year? Truth be told, we came out of this deal nicely. Shockey is no longer an All-Pro TE, and that's what some of you still think he is, because that's how you WANT to remember him. You know who is? Antonio Gates. He doesn't get in trouble, doesn't bad mouth ANYONE, is athletic as hell, pretty durable, and catches a lot of touchdown passes, with rarely a drop. You can't say any of those things about Shockey, except the athletic part.

Just to let you know, we got a better deal for a TE than the Dolphins got for a defensive player of the year at DE, a premium position. Some of the posters here have no idea what fair market value is. You have to remove your homerism from the equation. Shockey was worth a 1st round pick when he was drafted, because he was still young, didn't have injury concerns and all that pounding on his knees over the years. Now, to get a 2nd and a 5th, I'm ecstatic. We should've been jumping for joy for ONLY a 2nd. Reese will turn this deal into a big win for us.

Another thought, why are some of you fretting so much about this season because of Shockey when we ran the table in the playoffs without him against some GREAT teams. We beat the Cowboys, Packers and Patriots without him, I'm pretty sure we will be fine. And although Boss doesn't have all of the accolades and catches that Shockey had, you can see what he has done with his opportunities and he is explosive. He reminds me of Jason Witten and there is nothing wrong with that. He has shown pretty reliable hands and you have to remember he was just a rookie. When Shockey was drafted they had to teach him how to block, too, and he turned out fine. It's time to put our support squarely behind Boss. This is a great challenge to him and I have no doubt with his work ethic he will be up to it and this will really serve to motivate him.

Lastly, I am a prophet. BOW TO ME! Check the very first post in this thread.

I will say that I clearly underrated Shockey's blocking ablility and overrated Boss in the thread, though! :D

And Eli Manning becoming accurate.

There were a variety of reasons. It's never just one thing. Steve Smith was the reason! No, Eli was accurate! No, Shockey was a distraction! No, Bradshaw drove an ice cream made of human skulls! No, Gilbride removed a crayon in his brain and his IQ improved 79 points! No, I want a hot dog...

Look at the big picture. A lot of underlying factors galvanized the team -- both offense AND defense -- during the Super Bowl run. From there, we learned the team can be successful (technically as successful as possible) without Shockey. But it's never just one or two things.