SportsWrath

Shockey Traded?

Lubeck

Interesting point on the draft choices the Saints gave up...

The Giants always wanted to get a first-round pick in return for Jeremy Shockey. They still might.

When the Saints traded a second- and fifth-round pick in the 2009 draft to the Giants on Monday for the disgruntled tight end, they used the second-round pick that they might have to send to the Jets as part of their trade for linebacker Jonathan Vilma. If that happens, then the Saints' deal with the Giants would change and they would have to give them a 2010 first-rounder.

Vilma was traded to the Saints in February for a fourth-round pick in 2008 and a conditional pick in 2009 that could be in the second or third round. It would be in the second if Vilma plays in at least 85% of the defensive plays this season and signs a contract extension before the end of the season. Of course, those are two things the Saints control.

We might still get good value out of this trade just yet.

This Paul Dottino interview needs to be listened to. If this stuff is true, Shockey is an even bigger baby than thought. Great insight into what has transpired.

I really like what he had to say about Darcy Johnson. He's added another 20 lbs of muscle in the offseason and is up to about 270-272. If memory serves me correctly, that kid could really run, too... if he's 100% back from the surgery we might be in pretty good shape at TE anyways.

Sure, if it was true. Reese didn't want shockey here, THAT'S what started all this shit. Shockey has every reason to be pissed at the Front Office for the way they dangled him out there as trade bait all off season. Reese drove Shockey out of town, it wasn't Shockey who decided to leave.

Paul Dottino's interview on the Michael Kaye Show painted a pretty clear picture: Shockey forced his way off the team. He was upset that he was forced to sit in the luxury box, even though his doctor recommended that he not attend the Super Bowl; he was upset to hear rumors that the Giants and Saints were talking trade (even though the Saints -- not the Giants -- leaked those rumors); and he might have been angry because of a decelerator clause in his contract that might have cost him $300,000.

Regarding the timing of the trade, it has nothing to do with extracting more value from the Saints or anything like that. During the draft, the Giants were under the impression that Shockey would let go of his issues with management and refocus on being a member of the team. Both John Mara and Steve Tisch talked to him privately, and they felt any ongoing problems could be reconciled. Reese did not want to trade him, although he was willing to listen to what the Saints were offering.

By July, it was obvious that Shockey wasn't ready to put past issues behind him, and he more or less begged his way off the team. At that point, Reese really had no other choice but to trade him. Plan A was to keep a happy Jeremy Shockey, which is why they didn't make the deal on draft day.

The picture I am sure most people thought would never happen.

nfl_a_shockey_brees_580.jpg

It's too bad it came to this for a player that most Giants fans liked so much. He just doesn't look right not in Giants blue.

So strange. I'm lukewarm on the trade, I think that long term it will be a good move. But you're right, he just doesn't look right in that uniform.

God I hope the Saints go in the tank. I'll be rooting hard for a 1-15 season and a healthy Vilma. :rolleyes:

So strange. I'm lukewarm on the trade, I think that long term it will be a good move. But you're right, he just doesn't look right in that uniform.

God I hope the Saints go in the tank. I'll be rooting hard for a 1-15 season and a healthy Vilma. :rolleyes:

Actually probably the best scenario is Vilma healthy and the Saints are always contending for a wild card spot. That way they can't afford to sit him or rest him and the Giants are guaranteed a first round pick. At 1-15 he will probably end up riding pine a few times.

Actually probably the best scenario is Vilma healthy and the Saints are always contending for a wild card spot. That way they can't afford to sit him or rest him and the Giants are guaranteed a first round pick. At 1-15 he will probably end up riding pine a few times.

Good point.

I just saw this on Vacchiano's blog. :baby:

Jeremy Shockey continues to make me laugh. Here’s a quote he gave to Sports Illustrated’s Peter King, in an issue of SI that’s on the newsstands today (an issue, by the way, with David Tyree on the cover):

“Here’s the attitude I have,” Shockey said from Saints’ camp. “I’m just here trying to make the team. After being in New York, this is the first time I’ve ever felt like just one of the guys, not like an animal in a cage that everyone’s come to see.”

That’s a totally understandable feeling, right? I mean, it’s not like Shockey ever did anything to draw attention to himself. He had no part in turning the Giants into a zoo. Right?

Here’s some more revisionist history from Shockey on how the Giants treated him so horribly over the years. And yes, by the way, I expect his hindsight griping to continue all year.

I just saw this on Vacchiano's blog. :baby:

Thats exactly what he wanted, to be a circus act, all eyes upon him. Now he's referring to it like its a bad thing? Please Jeremy, let me keep the good memories of you, cause you're startin to give me a whole bunch of bad ones. <_<

He's clearly referring to the media pressure in NY. It's pretty fucking obvious and something that comes up anytime a new player goes there. "How will he handle the media spotlight in the biggest market in the US?" And he has been under an intense spotlight all off-season. How is his comment bad or unwarranted?

How many times has Eli been torn to shreds in not only the local media but national media as well. I don't think I've ever seen him cry about it. Boohoo Shockey. Your a professional athlete making millions of dollars and your crying about the media picking on you? GTFO.

How many times has Eli been torn to shreds in not only the local media but national media as well. I don't think I've ever seen him cry about it. Boohoo Shockey. Your a professional athlete making millions of dollars and your crying about the media picking on you? GTFO.

Very true. And don't forget the Media is attracted to those who will give them something to write about. You don't see the media attracted Shaun O'Hara or Steve Smith.. or Amani Toomer.. etc. You act likea clown, the cameras will be flashing.. plain and simple.

I hold nothing against Shockey, I wish him well with the Saints. Quite frankly, I don't know why we're still discussing this...

Wait, are you guys serious that Shockey has really been traded?

I thought this was just a joke thread.

And that picture is pretty convincing, but I assumed Shockey was just being photoshopped.

Did we really trade Shockey?

Wait, are you guys serious that Shockey has really been traded?

I thought this was just a joke thread.

And that picture is pretty convincing, but I assumed Shockey was just being photo shopped.

Did we really trade Shockey?

Actually it's elaborate hoax to sell more Hungry Man dinners. Also in GB's first game this season Favre will be honoured during a retirement ceremony at halftime.

Actually it's elaborate hoax to sell more Hungry Man dinners. Also in GB's first game this season Favre will be honoured during a retirement ceremony at halftime.

will they retire his number ?

Uk, he did break his leg last year. I'm sure that there are going to be days when he has to take off.

no they say its a groin pull, or an ankle. This bastard is going to be riding the pine all fucking season long. Peyton is a fucking moron.

Of course his first hour on the field he overdoes it to show that he is fully recovered from an injury that he clearly is not and thereby pulls muscles not used to the extra load at this point. What a hole...Ccase better get ready for no more than 10 games out of this guy.