SportsWrath

Shockey Traded?

Lubeck

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8364800...ockey-to-Saints

Sources: Giants to trade Shockey to Saints

by Jay Glazer

The Giants have agreed to trade their disgruntled tight end to the New Orleans Saints for a second-round pick and a fifth-round pick, FOXSports.com has learned. The deal is pending league approval, according to a league source. Shockey must also pass a physical.

The compensation is the same the Saints offered New York back in April prior and during to the draft ... and it was turned down.

The move comes one day after Jason Taylor was traded from Miami to New York's NFC East rivals in Washington. According to a report on SI.com, the Giants had held discussions about a three-team trade in which they would have ended up with Taylor, the Saints would have landed Shockey and the Dolphins would have received a pair of draft picks.

The emergence of rookie Kevin Boss during the Giants' improbable Super Bowl run — a stretch Shockey missed due to a broken leg — made Shockey expendable. Boss started six games after Shockey's injury (two regular season and all four during the Giants' postseason run), making nine catches for 140 yards and a TD.

Shockey's attitude made the move somewhat necessary as the Giants sought to avoid distractions from their bid to repeat as Super Bowl champions.

During the team's recent minicamp, Shockey reportedly engaged in a shouting match with GM Jerry Reese, just the latest controversy involving the outspoken former first-round pick out of the University of Miami.

Shockey's absence in Phoenix during the Super Bowl was conspicuous to say the least. According to some reports, one of the many sources of Shockey's displeasure with the team was that he was not allowed to stand on the team's sidelines during the game.

In the past, Shockey also had less-than-complimentary things to say about his quarterback, Eli Manning. In fact, many have theorized that Manning's transformation from a middle-of-the-pack quarterback to a Super Bowl MVP was facilitated by Shockey's absence.

I hope this is true.

While Shockey was an undeniable talent, with how things were at minicamp and how things have played out in the media I for one was fully expecting a Chad Johnsonesqe situation at training camp and am relieved that there is no chance of that. Especially since Shockey would drag Plax into it.

I honestly have mixed feelings about this, I've always been a Shockey fan but it may have just been time for him to go, with the shouting match shit and all the other stuff. He just wasn't fitting on the team.

Goodluck Shock, Boss you better step the fuck up.

But a 2nd and 5th? C'mon.

He was neither the Second Coming; nor is this an insurmountable loss. Should he be traded at this point no; will we regret it....I doubt it. Though I would have liked for him to come back at least one more year...shut up and silence his critics with his play. It looks like he will be doing that for the Aints. Some marriages end on simple things like miscommunication....and this seems to be one of them.

He was neither the Second Coming; nor is this an insurmountable loss. Should he be traded at this point no; will we regret it....I doubt it. Though I would have liked for him to come back at least one more year...shut up and silence his critics with his play. It looks like he will be doing that for the Aints. Some marriages end on simple things like miscommunication....and this seems to be one of them.

Exactly...it seems he wore out his welcome in New York. Sad to see him gone, but this means

we get to see more of Smith, Moss and Manningham. Shockey didn't want to block, that's what

a tight end does..so he can go fuck himself for that.

Exactly...it seems he wore out his welcome in New York. Sad to see him gone, but this means

we get to see more of Smith, Moss and Manningham. Shockey didn't want to block, that's what

Moss will not be a Giant after training camp. Shockey was a good blocker for us, so I dont know wtf your talkin about.

Boss is not gonna produce like Shockey. Mark my words this is gonna hurt our ofensive scheme. No defensive coordinator will look at Boss as much as he would Shockey. Bad move. <_>

More balls go to Smith, Moss and Manningham now. I'm not in the least bit worried about this

situation. I'm pretty sure the Giants won the Superbowl without Shockey, they can play without

him.

Moss will not be a Giant after training camp. Shockey was a good blocker for us, so I dont know wtf your talkin about.

I can pretty much guarantee Moss will be a Giant after training camp. Give up on a 2nd round

pick this early?

Shockey was a good blocker for the Giants yes, he just bitched about doing it.

Shockey is without a doubt one of the best blocking TE in the league. He major concern was how he was being used in the passing game. Now he's going to a coach that understands TE can do more than 3 yard curls.

I can pretty much guarantee Moss will be a Giant after training camp. Give up on a 2nd round

pick this early?

Shockey was a good blocker for the Giants yes, he just bitched about doing it.

2 years is not early after he never played a full year. He's out. Put moneyon it.

Shockey was a good blocker for us, so I dont know wtf your talkin about.

He was a good blocker, but he didn't like doing it and bitched about it to the coaching staff. That is what he is talking about.

As for the concerns about Shockey being out of the lineup affecting the offensive production, defensive coordinators will focus more on Burress and company. But they weren't after Shockey was injured? Now I am not trying to say the offense was better without him, even though a strong case could be made that that is true, all I am saying is that his lost production and presence on the field did not make the offense worse.

Shockey is without a doubt one of the best blocking TE in the league. He major concern was how he was being used in the passing game. Now he's going to a coach that understands TE can do more than 3 yard curls.

Oh Jesus fucking Christ with the "3 yard curl routes" SHUT THE FUCK UP with that shit.

Tight Ends have two jobs and one of them was to block, Shockey didn't want to do that.

Tough shit Jeremy.

2 years is not early after he never played a full year. He's out. Put moneyon it.

I would have agreed with that before Shockey was traded, but I think they carry one less TE then they would have (Matthews and Boss) and carry one extra WR, Moss. The offense will spend a lot of training camp working in more 3 WR sets to get a receiving threat on the field to replace Shockey.

At least that is what I would be doing.

Oh Jesus fucking Christ with the "3 yard curl routes" SHUT THE FUCK UP with that shit.

Tight Ends have two jobs and one of them was to block, Shockey didn't want to do that.

Tough shit Jeremy.

hes going to get hurt by week 7 anyway. this is not the same shockey.

considering hes lost a step and is getting up there in age we basically got a 2nd round pick for a glorified blocking TE.

Please find the quote where Shockey bitched about blocking. The quote, not the rumour. Shockey was one of the better blocking TEs in the league and our offensive production, and Eli's confidence which was proven to be pivotable in our success, are not better served by his absence.

Yeah, I keep forgetting half of the posters here wanted to release Eli Manning

after the playoffs in 2005 because he fell off in the 2nd half of that season.

If the Giants didn't give up on Corey Webster, they aren't going to give up on Moss

just this second.