SportsWrath

So let it begin

JayD

6 days before we kick off another NFL season boys. As many of you know I don’t have a lot of faith our G-men will do well this season. Like every year though, I won’t miss a second of it, and will be cheering them on till the last snap. 

I came across some tickets for October’s skins game if anyone is going. 

Are you ready for some football? Time to kick the tires and light the fires. I can’t wait. 

My expectations are the Giants remain at the same level they did last year.

Competitively in each game with the possibility of a wildcard run.

We got an absolutely brutal schedule, and we need to do better against the NFC East, we barely got by the Redskins.

No excuses for Jones this year with that they committed to the Oline and WR/TE/RB, he NEEDS to show he can be a QB who can take this team to the SB by carrying them, it's that simple in the NFL today, you need that type of QB.

Excited to see what Wink does in year two, and the additions made to the defense.

I don’t believe there’s such thing as a “brutal schedule”. Teams change every year and what was once easy is now hard and vice versa.  I’m sure the Titans thought of their first game of the season last year as “easy”.

This team has improved over last year in terms of personnel, morale/confidence, and trust in coaching and front office.    

All that adds up to having better outcomes than last year.    We have to do better within the division and everyone knows that… The Redskins are not a bad team for anyone to assume we can always beat them.    

8 minutes ago, Nas said:

I don’t believe there’s such thing as a “brutal schedule”. Teams change every year and what was once easy is now hard and vice versa.  I’m sure the Titans thought of their first game of the season last year as “easy”.

This team has improved over last year in terms of personnel, morale/confidence, and trust in coaching and front office.    

All that adds up to having better outcomes than last year.    We have to do better within the division and everyone knows that… The Redskins are not a bad team for anyone to assume we can always beat them.    

Strength of schedule is a good indicator of projected wins/losses.

Most of the teams we are facing have a positive W/L ratio projection on the year.

I'm not saying it's concrete but you can't look at the teams we are facing and think "oh they aren't the same team" bull crap to that, unless a team is in a compete rebuild like the Cards they are all going to be improving in some sense, especially when it comes to the NFC East. Skins found their QB, Eagles Dline is probably going to break sack records, and Dallas has always had our number with Dak. 

The AFC East is a slaughter house of a division and all teams within it outside of maybe the Patriots are in a better position than the Giants.  

You can't dismiss that because it's a new year. 

Giants have an uphill battle simple as that. 

Jones needs to show he can carry the team up that hill.

My expectation is improvement, but not necessarily a better win-loss record. Last year’s schedule was very favorable, it’s not likely to work out so well this season. 

If several draft picks exceed reasonable expectations this is a solid playoff team. Otherwise, they’ll be fun, but ultimately average.

6 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Strength of schedule is a good indicator of projected wins/losses.

Most of the teams we are facing have a positive W/L ratio projection on the year.

I'm not saying it's concrete but you can't look at the teams we are facing and think "oh they aren't the same team" bull crap to that, unless a team is in a compete rebuild like the Cards they are all going to be improving in some sense, especially when it comes to the NFC East. Skins found their QB, Eagles Dline is probably going to break sack records, and Dallas has always had our number with Dak. 

The AFC East is a slaughter house of a division and all teams within it outside of maybe the Patriots are in a better position than the Giants.  

You can't dismiss that because it's a new year. 

Giants have an uphill battle simple as that. 

Jones needs to show he can carry the team up that hill.

I’m not dismissing anything.  I just think we’re better than advertised and Jones already earned his stripes.   Now with a lot more weapons around him, he can only be better.   

Dak will get decked; he’s a choke artist.

43 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

My expectation is improvement, but not necessarily a better win-loss record. Last year’s schedule was very favorable, it’s not likely to work out so well this season. 

If several draft picks exceed reasonable expectations this is a solid playoff team. Otherwise, they’ll be fun, but ultimately average.

It seems like you’re saying 17-0.   

I'm thinking 10-7 and wild card. Anything else is gravy.

Strength of schedule does matter, but forget that. The Eagles and Cowboys are in our division and that alone is a challenge. And I honestly think that DC is pretty strong also. Playing Arizona and then going to San Fran 4 days later sucks ass and the AFC East is no joke.

I think we're one draft class and one more year of free agency from competing at the top. I'm confident that with this management, we're in the right direction and with extra salary cap next season, we can make inroads. As long as we don't take a step back I'm good.

3 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

This is my feeling as well.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a better team on the field that ultimately has a worse record. 

We won something like 5 games last year by one score, and many of those were in the final minutes.  That's tough to replicate. 

I agree with BiC as well, the Eagles D-line is going to feast on our O-line this season.  I don't expect those games to be competitive at all. 

I think it is going to be a tough year. Not a year like the last regime, but the schedule is tough. I am not sure how SF and Arizona are going to be this year. Those are two games that it is so hard to predict that early on. 1-1 I think would a good road trip. Week 1 is going to be a good game. No huge injuries. 

On 9/4/2023 at 4:19 PM, CrazedDogs said:

23 hours ago, Nas said:

It seems like you’re saying 17-0.   

21 hours ago, boohyah said:

I'm thinking 10-7 and wild card. Anything else is gravy.

Strength of schedule does matter, but forget that. The Eagles and Cowboys are in our division and that alone is a challenge. And I honestly think that DC is pretty strong also. Playing Arizona and then going to San Fran 4 days later sucks ass and the AFC East is no joke.

I think we're one draft class and one more year of free agency from competing at the top. I'm confident that with this management, we're in the right direction and with extra salary cap next season, we can make inroads. As long as we don't take a step back I'm good.

20 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

This is my feeling as well.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a better team on the field that ultimately has a worse record. 

We won something like 5 games last year by one score, and many of those were in the final minutes.  That's tough to replicate. 

I agree with BiC as well, the Eagles D-line is going to feast on our O-line this season.  I don't expect those games to be competitive at all. 

I agree with CD and Boohyah... next year will be the Championship or Super Bowl year... this year maybe the playoffs again... or at least very competitive.  This is the year we earn our stripes.  I see 84-85, 93, 04 year Giants here.

10 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Also we can go 6-11 if all six wins are against the NFC East.

Dak is 10-0 against the Giants.

We are 4-16 against the Eagles since 2013.

Add wins over the Jets and Bills. Hell NE too just cause of Judge. 

Someone has to be the pessimist here. I believe we're a 7 to 9 win team. 9-8 or 8-9 seems most likely.

We won 2 games last year that we had no business winning, which could have easily gone the other way. Then played like shit in that last Commanders game, yet still found a way to tie.

We were 3-6-1 down the stretch.

The OL I still believe will be a problem, especially the interior OL and ongoing growing pains with Neal.

The secondary will be leaky. Pass rush will be decent, but nothing spectacular; not enough to substantially improve the pass defense. Thibs and Ojulari may max out at like 8 or 9 sacks, then after these two, no one else to put up big sack numbers.

We're going to lose both games to Philly, another to Dallas (possibly both to Dallas). Beyond that, the team isn't going 10-4 in remaining games; probably 9-5 or 8-6 at best.

A 7-10 season also wouldn't surprise me.

8 hours ago, mastershake said:

Someone has to be the pessimist here. I believe we're a 7 to 9 win team. 9-8 or 8-9 seems most likely.

We won 2 games last year that we had no business winning, which could have easily gone the other way. Then played like shit in that last Commanders game, yet still found a way to tie.

The OL I still believe will be a problem, especially the interior OL and ongoing growing pains with Neal.

The secondary will be leaky. Pass rush will be decent, but nothing spectacular; not enough to substantially improve the pass defense. Thibs and Ojulari may max out at like 8 or 9 sacks, then after these two, no one else to put up big sack numbers.

We're going to lose both games to Philly, another to Dallas (possibly both to Dallas). Beyond that, the team isn't going 10-4 in remaining games; probably 9-5 or 8-6 at best.

Oh c'mon dude. Williams and Lawrence will count for another dozen sacks at least.

8 hours ago, mastershake said:

I think you're underrating the pass rush and how WInk dials up pressure.

We will NEED to because we are starting to rookies at CB 1/2

It's rare one rookie CB plays well coming out of college, well we got two starting.

Going to need to get the QB on the ground to help them out.

16 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I think the pass rush will be decent, but just not enough to cover the deficiencies elsewhere. It'll be a B to B+ pass rush vs a secondary that's probably a C to C+.

Olijari’s got to stay healthy and thibs needs to make a leap.   I wonder if he’s put on a few pounds.