SportsWrath

Giants are shopping Barkley?

Treehugger

44 minutes ago, Tempest said:

If they trade him for a fourth round pick I'm going to be upset.  More upset than watching the Giants winning 19 games in 4 years. :furious:

Well there's the notion that we can probably fix the OL this offseason.. which begs the question, why would you trade a talent like Barkley... Then there's the counter-argument that well he's injury prone... etc.    Honestly I wouldn't care either way.. but learning towards the former... keep him.  

2 hours ago, BronxRik said:

Bigger cap hit, not injury prone...just a year removed from a probowl season

Oft injured, hasn't returned to previous level, at a demanding salary...teams trading for him would want to sign and extend or sign and renegotiate...making deal more complicated.

Makes sense, but doesn't mean Barkley will stay.

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

Pretty amazing that Duke Johnson was traded for a third and here we are hoping against hope that we can get a fourth for Saquon. 

1 hour ago, Virginia Giant said:

Browns got a first for Trent Richardson

There's hope, nobody ever accused the guys running most of these teams of being smart.

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Pretty amazing that Duke Johnson was traded for a third and here we are hoping against hope that we can get a fourth for Saquon. 

Good point.   We're not forced to trade him and I'm on the side that we should keep him.    

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

There's hope, nobody ever accused the guys running most of these teams of being smart.

32 minutes ago, Nas said:

Good point.   We're not forced to trade him and I'm on the side that we should keep him.    

Honestly if we can't get good value for him now we should wait until one of these contenders inevitably lose their starting RB and then trade Barkley for a good pick in 2023.

3 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Honestly if we can't get good value for him now we should wait until one of these contenders inevitably lose their starting RB and then trade Barkley for a good pick in 2023.

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

That is a great point. Seconded.

I like that... get good value for him now or wait and get good value for him then.  Am not wedded to Barkley and we could lose him, and I would not care all fuck all.

16 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

I feel good about the the scenario where he gets healthy, proves it, and then is traded mid season to a team that can truly maximize his talent and is willing to pay for it.

I would feel great if he got healthy, proves it, and is part of the winning formula.

Take the 4th rounder honestly, bring in a cheap veteran backup (is Gallman available?) and draft Dameon Pierce out of Florida with that 4th round pick.

This kid Dameon Pierce pretty close to a Rodney Hampton style player, or for more modern reference Frank Gore. He's not super flashy/fast, but he has excellent vision, plants his foot in the ground, runs north/south, bounces off tacklers with good contact balance, and keeps grinding forward. He can also catch the ball (is a remarkably good route runner), and pass block.

And he's #27...sooo

I don't see how we don't take the draft capitol now.

Sure he bounces back we could potentially get something better for him, maybe a third or second to a playoff bound team.  

But what if he doesnt? What if he gets hurt again? Then he's worth nothing. 

Then again these were all just rumors and reports.

Who in their right mind would use a 4th for Barkley when they could just draft a RB instead? 

14 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Sure he bounces back we could potentially get something better for him, maybe a third or second to a playoff bound team.  

Who in their right mind would use a 4th for Barkley when they could just draft a RB instead? 

If only he stayed healthy, he is a legit elite level talent.  I could not see trading away the potential of him having a 1500 yard season for a 4th round pick.

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

All these reasons, plus especially the part here in bold...if some team is dumb enough to trade for Barkley, you take it. Take whatever you can get. There's no point to retaining him.

43 minutes ago, GorillaNJ said:

If only he stayed healthy, he is a legit elite level talent.  I could not see trading away the potential of him having a 1500 yard season for a 4th round pick.

He's not going to produce 1,500 yards behind this offensive line even if he stays healthy, especially not with $7.2M of precious cap resources tied up.

9 minutes ago, mastershake said:

He's not going to produce 1,500 yards behind this offensive line even if he stays healthy, especially not with $7.2M of precious cap resources tied up.

He has a better chance of doing it than someone you potentially draft with a 4th round pick.      I also doubt he gets 1500 yards, the cynic in me sees him twisting a knee or getting his foot stepped on in training camp and never having a healthy snap.

I am no cap scientist, but i do see your point that he is pricey.   

34 minutes ago, GorillaNJ said:

He has a better chance of doing it than someone you potentially draft with a 4th round pick.      I also doubt he gets 1500 yards, the cynic in me sees him twisting a knee or getting his foot stepped on in training camp and never having a healthy snap.

I am no cap scientist, but i do see your point that he is pricey.   

More or less a 4th round pick or cheap free agent will do about as well if not better than Barkley.

As the 4th round pick (Gallman) did in 2020

And as the cheap free agent (Booker...who interestingly was also a 4th round pick) did in 2021

When they both outperformed Barkley.

And we have a better record without Barkley than we do with him, in the last four years....so why are we keeping him when he doesn't help us win any games?