SportsWrath

Giants are shopping Barkley?

Treehugger

1 minute ago, mastershake said:

More or less a 4th round pick or cheap free agent will do about as well if not better than Barkley.

As the 4th round pick (Gallman) did in 2020

And as the cheap free agent did in 2021

When they both outperformed Barkley.

Unless he gives a repeat of his rookie season...

48 minutes ago, mastershake said:

He's not going to produce 1,500 yards behind this offensive line even if he stays healthy, especially not with $7.2M of precious cap resources tied up.

But we're not talking about THIS offensive line... we're talking about the new and improved one via draft/FA.     

23 minutes ago, Nas said:

But we're not talking about THIS offensive line... we're talking about the new and improved one via draft/FA.     

What new and improved OL?

If you bring in at least one good veteran OL (such as Laken Tomlinson) and TWO top 50 draft picks, the giants have a chance at a somewhat okay OL... but we won't get the solid veteran OL...because $7.2M is tied up in Barkley, plus others. (Plus I don't expect Schoen will invest big in the OL in free agency.

I strongly doubt Schoen uses two out of their three top 50 picks on OL and trades Barkley...so we won't have a good OL next year. 2022 is a transitory year.

Here's what I expect to see from Schoen, based on what we've seen so far from him. He'll sign 1 - 2 cheap free agent OLs (below average-average players), and draft 1 OL in the first two rounds (probably 1 in the first round). We won't get the premium free agent OL we need, and we'll get only one premium draft pick invested in the OL. He may use later round picks on OL as well for depth. So at best your OL looks like this

LT Thomas

LG Bredeson/Wes Martin, Lemeuix (i.e. garbage)

C cheap below average free agent OL

RG cheap below average free agent OL, OR top draft pick

RT Peart, or cheap below average free agent OL, OR top draft pick (remove top draft pick from RG and place here).

In other words, we're filling in 4 out of 5 open OL spots with 1 premium rookie, 1-2 cheap free agents, and the shittiness that is Bredeson, Wes Martin, Lemeuix, and Peart. Trust me. The OL won't be good next year.

It’s just the timing of his contract doesn’t line up with where we are.  we have to make the decision to pay him before we can have everything around him ready.  I have no doubts you could put this guy in Dallas and he’d get 2,000 scrimmage yards.  And maybe we have a line and a decent passing game in 2-3 years but in the meantime we have to pay him big money to get stuffed at the line of scrimmage 

3 hours ago, mastershake said:

Take the 4th rounder honestly, bring in a cheap veteran backup (is Gallman available?) and draft Dameon Pierce out of Florida with that 4th round pick.

This kid Dameon Pierce pretty close to a Rodney Hampton style player, or for more modern reference Frank Gore. He's not super flashy/fast, but he has excellent vision, plants his foot in the ground, runs north/south, bounces off tacklers with good contact balance, and keeps grinding forward. He can also catch the ball (is a remarkably good route runner), and pass block.

And he's #27...sooo

Rodney Redux... nice.

24 minutes ago, Herc said:

It’s just the timing of his contract doesn’t line up with where we are.  we have to make the decision to pay him before we can have everything around him ready.  I have no doubts you could put this guy in Dallas and he’d get 2,000 scrimmage yards.  And maybe we have a line and a decent passing game in 2-3 years but in the meantime we have to pay him big money to get stuffed at the line of scrimmage 

Agree with you and Mastershake on this... trade him now and don't wait on what ifs... He may never reach his potential here.  A man outside of time in Giants Land.

59 minutes ago, Herc said:

This makes perfect sense.  

1 hour ago, Herc said:

To me this is the key factor. If Barkley had, say, 2 more years on his contact, I'd be fine with keeping him around. 

He just happens to be in the last year of his contract on a team that's currently trying to turn over the roster (in transition) in 2022...and by the looks of it, unless Schoen pulls a rabbit out of his hat and goes all in on the OL, it looks like we won't have an adequate OL in 2022 to block for Barkley.

I too am fully confident that if Barkley were to leave for like the Ravens, Chiefs, or Dallas as you pointed out etc...He'd totally put up 1,500 - 2,000 yards there.

Bad teams can't keep good players and there's a reason for that. 

Sure there's some exceptions like Joe Thomas who stuck it out with the Browns, but the majority of the time it's hard to be a team who's had a decade of losing and keep players around who are the lone bright spots. 

On 3/7/2022 at 11:31 AM, Nas said:

I hate to break it to you buddy, but that IS this line. We've been "fixing" it since O'Hara & Co retired.

2 hours ago, Treehugger said:

I hate to break it to you buddy, but that IS this line. We've been "fixing" it since O'Hara & Co retired.

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Meet the new line, same as the old line.

Haven't we been talking about drafting and signing a FA?   

Agree on Pierce. I've had my eye on him for a while now. 

As far as the line, if Shonen doesn't make a converted effort to get at least two quality players this offseason he's nuts. We have to evaluate our QB, and if it turns out he sucks we're going to have to draft a young guy. How are you supposed to do that with this OL group? 

We need to sign one if the many good free agent guards available, spend one of our first rounders on the line at a minimum, and then grab another guy in the first three rounds. We'll never have competent QB play if we don't get this fixed. 

5 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Agree on Pierce. I've had my eye on him for a while now. 

As far as the line, if Shonen doesn't make a converted effort to get at least two quality players this offseason he's nuts. We have to evaluate our QB, and if it turns out he sucks we're going to have to draft a young guy. How are you supposed to do that with this OL group? 

We need to sign one if the many good free agent guards available, spend one of our first rounders on the line at a minimum, and then grab another guy in the first three rounds. We'll never have competent QB play if we don't get this fixed. 

The problem is none if this really helps us this year.

We will be helping out the new QB when the rookies get the jitters out and if they developed. 

And the FAs sign a contract longer than two years. 

This year should be a blank slate year.

Cut and trade everyone you can to get capitol and talent for the year after. 

There is no evaluation in my mind this year simply because we are going to have a massive roster turnover by 2023. 

On 3/7/2022 at 10:01 AM, mastershake said:

Take the 4th rounder honestly, bring in a cheap veteran backup (is Gallman available?) and draft Dameon Pierce out of Florida with that 4th round pick.

This kid Dameon Pierce pretty close to a Rodney Hampton style player, or for more modern reference Frank Gore. He's not super flashy/fast, but he has excellent vision, plants his foot in the ground, runs north/south, bounces off tacklers with good contact balance, and keeps grinding forward. He can also catch the ball (is a remarkably good route runner), and pass block.

And he's #27...sooo

He looks much more Ahmad Bradshaw than Rodney Hampton to me (which is fine). 

4 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

He looks much more Ahmad Bradshaw than Rodney Hampton to me (which is fine). 

This... also I think even with a makeshift line you will see flashes from a good QB.  Eli was a good QB no matter how the line looked.  Jones has to produce somewhat this year... or it buh bye IMHO. ;)