SportsWrath

Daniel Jones

Sephiroth

15 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I think there was a stretch of 3 games in a row where Judge went for it on 4th and short or 4th and goal... we converted none of them. Now everyone is saying "why is Judge so conservative?"

Probably because he got kicked in the dick enough times last year.

yeah, that is how I remember it too. 

Hopefully he isn't so reactive as to let what was basically an unfortunate flip of a coin to impact his core thinking. That's worse than simply being conservative because he's just blowing in the breeze.

On 10/7/2021 at 4:00 PM, CrazedDogs said:

I don't mind looking past the record up to a point, but when we have to massage the outcome against the likes of Atlanta or WTF, those are losses any way we slice it.

Remember the final regular season game in '07, almost beating a highly motivated Patriots team.... that was a loss that meant something. Self defeat vs the Falcons doesn't rate.

Yes... that was a strategic loss as compared to a dumb ass debacle... 

DANIEL JONES: Giants have a true franchise QB

It might be hard for some draft analysts to admit, but Daniel Jones is a franchise quarterback. In fact, he is showing signs of emerging as a potential top-10 player at the position. This is probably an unpopular take outside of New York, but the third-year pro has started showing all-star potential as a playmaker, and the rest of the league is on notice.

Jones is posting the best numbers of his career (66.7 percent completion rate, 296.0 pass YPG, 4:1 TD-INT ratio and a 98.3 passer rating) while joining Lamar Jackson and Jalen Hurts as the only players with 1,000-plus passing yards and 150-plus rushing yards, per NFL Research. He has seemingly resolved his turnover woes as one of just two quarterbacks (alongside Kirk Cousins) with one interception on 140-plus pass attempts. Jones has just five giveaways over his past 10 games and has shown more attention to detail with his ball security.

Despite a 1-3 record, the Giants should be encouraged by Jones' stellar play this season. He is coming off a 400-yard performance against the Saints that showcased his skills as an underrated dual-threat at the position. Jones played a clean game with an assortment of pinpoint throws and timely runs that kept the Saints' defense off balance. (His interception came on a Hail Mary at the end of the first half.)

With Jones putting up another eye-opening performance against the Washington Football Team (249 passing yards, 95 rush yards, two total scores) back in Week 2, the 24-year-old is clearly playing at a high level in 2021. Although the sample size is small, the strong play from Jones in his second season in Jason Garrett's system suggests he is growing exponentially as a player.

Part of his improvement can be attributed to the upgraded cast of playmakers around him. The Giants added Kenny Golladay to serve as the No. 1 receiver in the passing game, with a first-round pick Kadarius Toney filling in as a big-play threat on the opposite side of the field. Sterling Shepard occupies the "chain mover" spot when healthy, giving Jones a trio of pass catchers with the skills to thrive in the designated roles. Throw in Evan Engram and Kyle Rudolph, and the Giants have a solid collection of pass catchers around their QB1. Not to mention, the offensive line has been playing better than last season -- particularly second-year left tackle Andrew Thomas.

That said, Saquon Barkley is the most important piece of the puzzle, and the explosive hybrid running back is rounding back into form, knocking off the rust following a season-ending ACL injury one year ago. Barkley has three scrimmage touchdowns in his last two games, while also averaging 5.5 yards per touch (40 touches for 220 scrimmage yards).

Jones has been a polarizing player since Dave Gettleman surprised many by taking the Duke quarterback sixth overall in 2019. And entering the season, this was viewed as a crucial year for the young signal-caller. Well, from my viewpoint, Jones' play has confirmed the QB1's status as a franchise player worth building around.

https://www.nfl.com/news/matt-rhule-s-unorthodox-brilliance-fueling-panthers-rise-daniel-jones-playing-li#:~:text=DANIEL JONES%3A Giants have a true franchise QB

Well he will be going into concussion protocol. 

Takes most guys a week and a half to get off of it and after the NFL seeing him drool and wobble around like a 3 month old I bets he's out a good two games atleast before we see him back. 

As much as it pains me to say it we can't build around a QB who is good to miss two or more games every year. 

22 hours ago, BronxRik said:

DANIEL JONES: Giants have a true franchise QB

It might be hard for some draft analysts to admit, but Daniel Jones is a franchise quarterback. In fact, he is showing signs of emerging as a potential top-10 player at the position. This is probably an unpopular take outside of New York, but the third-year pro has started showing all-star potential as a playmaker, and the rest of the league is on notice.

Jones is posting the best numbers of his career (66.7 percent completion rate, 296.0 pass YPG, 4:1 TD-INT ratio and a 98.3 passer rating) while joining Lamar Jackson and Jalen Hurts as the only players with 1,000-plus passing yards and 150-plus rushing yards, per NFL Research. He has seemingly resolved his turnover woes as one of just two quarterbacks (alongside Kirk Cousins) with one interception on 140-plus pass attempts. Jones has just five giveaways over his past 10 games and has shown more attention to detail with his ball security.

Despite a 1-3 record, the Giants should be encouraged by Jones' stellar play this season. He is coming off a 400-yard performance against the Saints that showcased his skills as an underrated dual-threat at the position. Jones played a clean game with an assortment of pinpoint throws and timely runs that kept the Saints' defense off balance. (His interception came on a Hail Mary at the end of the first half.)

With Jones putting up another eye-opening performance against the Washington Football Team (249 passing yards, 95 rush yards, two total scores) back in Week 2, the 24-year-old is clearly playing at a high level in 2021. Although the sample size is small, the strong play from Jones in his second season in Jason Garrett's system suggests he is growing exponentially as a player.

Part of his improvement can be attributed to the upgraded cast of playmakers around him. The Giants added Kenny Golladay to serve as the No. 1 receiver in the passing game, with a first-round pick Kadarius Toney filling in as a big-play threat on the opposite side of the field. Sterling Shepard occupies the "chain mover" spot when healthy, giving Jones a trio of pass catchers with the skills to thrive in the designated roles. Throw in Evan Engram and Kyle Rudolph, and the Giants have a solid collection of pass catchers around their QB1. Not to mention, the offensive line has been playing better than last season -- particularly second-year left tackle Andrew Thomas.

That said, Saquon Barkley is the most important piece of the puzzle, and the explosive hybrid running back is rounding back into form, knocking off the rust following a season-ending ACL injury one year ago. Barkley has three scrimmage touchdowns in his last two games, while also averaging 5.5 yards per touch (40 touches for 220 scrimmage yards).

Jones has been a polarizing player since Dave Gettleman surprised many by taking the Duke quarterback sixth overall in 2019. And entering the season, this was viewed as a crucial year for the young signal-caller. Well, from my viewpoint, Jones' play has confirmed the QB1's status as a franchise player worth building around.

https://www.nfl.com/news/matt-rhule-s-unorthodox-brilliance-fueling-panthers-rise-daniel-jones-playing-li#:~:text=DANIEL JONES%3A Giants have a true franchise QB

I didn't read this but seriously how fucking stupid is the media?

This is year 3 and Jones has had TWO comeback victories where he put the team on his shoulders and won it.

He's playing a lot better but Jesus Fucking Christ... come the fuck on...

2 hours ago, jranieli said:

He has the drive, but he can't take chances like that. 

I swear I felt something weird before they snapped the ball on that dreaded play… for one I knew they were gonna have Jones run it and I just cringed thinking if I knew what’s coming, the Cowboys should too… it was a ver unfortunate injury and one that should have the Giants (or any team) think twice before having their franchise qb out there in the wilderness.

Why wasnt the air jump play called on 3rd down? They had a 2 Qb spys on him, you have no receiver following you in the endzone to keep it honest, and you are asking this guy to barrell into the endzone - it was a horrible play call. What Glennon did should have been done on the previous 3 downs - if it was Barkley, it would have been done in the 1st attempt. This one is not on Jones - and to say he isnt a franchise QB and always gets injured is just wrong - plain wrong. The guy went with the playcall and tried to execute and got injured - bad luck. Barkleys injury was bad luck as well. It was a black magic game - since Dak was injured last year same time in a game against us.

2 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

Why wasnt the air jump play called on 3rd down? They had a 2 Qb spys on him, you have no receiver following you in the endzone to keep it honest, and you are asking this guy to barrell into the endzone - it was a horrible play call. What Glennon did should have been done on the previous 3 downs - if it was Barkley, it would have been done in the 1st attempt. This one is not on Jones - and to say he isnt a franchise QB and always gets injured is just wrong - plain wrong. The guy went with the playcall and tried to execute and got injured - bad luck. Barkleys injury was bad luck as well. It was a black magic game - since Dak was injured last year same time in a game against us.

Spot on.

3 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

I actually did see that goal line series and the play calling was McAdoo level bad.

They ran off right guard to start, but Dallas called a timeout. Back from the timeout they run... the exact same play. Way to keep the defense guessing.

Then, for variety, they run the exact same play again.

This is shit that Pop Warner teams know not to do. This entire front office needs to fucking go.

3 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

I said the same exact thing...   how do they not have a WR following him to the sideline,   for nothing else to make at least one of those defenders have to stay off your QB.   I actually would have loved the play call with a receiver or a TE there for Jones   Shit maybe even both!

1 hour ago, GorillaNJ said:

I said the same exact thing...   how do they not have a WR following him to the sideline,   for nothing else to make at least one of those defenders have to stay off your QB.   I actually would have loved the play call with a receiver or a TE there for Jones   Shit maybe even both!

Totally.   Whatever happened to Rudolph? Is he injured or something? I was more excited about signing him than Galloday.

Everyone loved the win last week that would have been a loss if it wasn’t for Rudolph. 

The biggest reason he’s been “invisible” is because he’s being kept in to help out our tackles.   He’s the reason Solder has looked ok the first 4 games. 

39 minutes ago, Joe Guyden said:

Everyone loved the win last week that would have been a loss if it wasn’t for Rudolph. 

The biggest reason he’s been “invisible” is because he’s being kept in to help out our tackles.   He’s the reason Solder has looked ok the first 4 games. 

Yeah Rudolph is a TE like Ballard or Boss.

He's invisible until he makes a catch, he's the only real TE we've had since them too.

If anything Rudolph is the type of player you want to keep on the team over Engram.

9 hours ago, Joe Guyden said:

8 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Yeah Rudolph is a TE like Ballard or Boss.

He's invisible until he makes a catch, he's the only real TE we've had since them too.

If anything Rudolph is the type of player you want to keep on the team over Engram.

These two things...

It was just flat out retarded that playcall - you cant make DJ a RB - and that too with no support - there wasnt a single Giant in the vicinity - just him trying to barrel through to the endzone against 2 beasts - was Garett a fucking Jerry plant to get revenge?? We will never know.

DJ needed to grow a pair and audible the fuck out of that one. 

On 10/12/2021 at 6:26 AM, Iceman_NYG said:

It was just flat out retarded that playcall - you cant make DJ a RB - and that too with no support - there wasnt a single Giant in the vicinity - just him trying to barrel through to the endzone against 2 beasts - was Garett a fucking Jerry plant to get revenge?? We will never know.

DJ needed to grow a pair and audible the fuck out of that one. 

After watching the all 22 view I now think it was a broken play or miscommunication in the huddle.

The left side of the line was blocking out, pushing defenders to the edge.... Basically Rudolph in particular helped put the defensive player in position to make the play. 

And I interpret Rudolph's body language after the play as 'what the fuck was that, why you out here DJ?'

I saw a couple folks observe that Jones could have tried to throw to Rudolph. Definitely not true, there was no throwing lane there, and Rudolph hadn't made himself available anyway; he was only planning to block on that play, clearly thought it was a designed run.

38 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

After watching the all 22 view I now think it was a broken play or miscommunication in the huddle.

The left side of the line was blocking out, pushing defenders to the edge.... Basically Rudolph in particular helped put the defensive player in position to make the play. 

And I interpret Rudolph's body language after the play as 'what the fuck was that, why you out here DJ?'

I saw a couple folks observe that Jones could have tried to throw to Rudolph. Definitely not true, there was no throwing lane there, and Rudolph hadn't made himself available anyway; he was only planning to block on that play, clearly thought it was a designed run.

I only saw the play once but I remember thinking he had the southwest corner of the end zone too but didn’t commit to it fast enough and looked at a closer run first