SportsWrath

Daniel Jones

Sephiroth

55 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

This is what it was for me.  Jones was supposed to take a step.  Garrett was supposed to take a step as a playcaller.  Barkley was supposed to take a step.  Literally none of those things happened. 

Hold up... if we start 0-2, it'll clearly be "HURR DURR... BUT IT'S JUST LIKE 2007!" I dunno how many times I've heard that over the past five seasons. 

I thought he was only the starter for two, then we went to Kent Graham a few games into Fassel's tenure? +

I always felt like the Pats had an answer for Strahan in that game and an answer for Osi.  They did NOT have an answer for Justin Tuck, who played out of his mind during that playoff run.  He was the biggest disruptor on that defense in the Super Bow. 

Dave Brown's two years were enough man.  George Young taking him in the supplemental draft was the worst decision ever.  Letting go of Phil Simms prior was a horror as well.  Graham and Kanell were never answers... however at this point in their careers I think they had more moxie than Jones.

18 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

I feel you CD... he has to learn how to take a hit.  He had both hands on the ball and still fumbled.  He had an eternity back there on half of his plays.  All he had to do on most plays was to step up and he had time to no throw into double/triple coverage on his first read from the huddle.  :laugh:

that's what kills me

last night he had more of a pocket to work with than any time I can recall since the peak Eli years. The second half he started to look like an NFL QB, but man he left so many points on the field in the first half.

For as much shit as I gave Jones last week, he played well last night I thought.  Game came down to 3 plays...holding on Jones TD run, dropped TD pass by Slayton, and of course, the encroachment that allowed for a 2nd shot at the game winner.

Can't pin those on Jones.  He had a good completion percentage, kept drives alive with his legs, and didn't have any turnovers.  That's all we need from him.

He deserves a lot of credit for this game.  That said, he need to play consistently at this level before he justifies his draft position

34 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

For as much shit as I gave Jones last week, he played well last night I thought.  Game came down to 3 plays...holding on Jones TD run, dropped TD pass by Slayton, and of course, the encroachment that allowed for a 2nd shot at the game winner.

Can't pin those on Jones.  He had a good completion percentage, kept drives alive with his legs, and didn't have any turnovers.  That's all we need from him.

He deserves a lot of credit for this game.  That said, he need to play consistently at this level before he justifies his draft position

He looked pretty good, but he always looks pretty good against WTF. 

If he can not have 2 turnovers and look to a second read against the Falcons next week, I may be a little more encouraged. 

2 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Seconded. 

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

He looked pretty good, but he always looks pretty good against WTF. 

If he can not have 2 turnovers and look to a second read against the Falcons next week, I may be a little more encouraged. 

They're a good football team... the game was entertaining and both teams played a great game... 

So rewatching the Slayton drop/over throw.

It did hit him in the finger tip and was catchable.

But Jones had a clean pocket and could have dropped that ball into Slaytons arms, instead of putting the ball away from him like a DB was on his back.

We've seen him make the throw before.

But as usual nothing goes the Giants way. 

6 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

But Jones had a clean pocket and could have dropped that ball into Slaytons arms, instead of putting the ball away from him like a DB was on his back.

I agree with you.  He should have laid the ball out.  Jones does not have any touch under pressure as I can see...

8 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Have not see the replay. But I thought he was about to take a hit when he left that go?  That's how my mind ferments it

1 hour ago, Virginia Giant said:

Have not see the replay. But I thought he was about to take a hit when he left that go?  That's how my mind ferments it

Sorry I should of said had time instead of clean pocket.

You're right they sent the house which caused the breakdown in coverage and Slayton to be so wide open.

However I meant Jones had his feet set, eyes downfield, and time to read, see Slayton breaking free and make the throw. 

He wasn't scrambling, they didn't force him outside the pocket, off his back foot or anything like that.

Those are throws your franchise QB should make more often than not. 

And too his credit he did all of that, the blame is 50/50 in my mind.

Slayton should of laid out for it or just caught the ball.

But still this is a Jones thread not a Slayton thread lol 

Just now, BlueInCanada said:

You're right they sent the house which caused the breakdown in coverage and Slayton to be so wide open.

However I meant Jones had his feet set, eyes downfield, and time to read, see Slayton breaking free and make the throw. 

He wasn't scrambling, they didn't force him outside the pocket, off his back foot or anything like that.

That throw and catch have to happen.  It has to be like practice and see that ball into the WR's hands.  No questions about it.  That ball was supposed to be like a baby coming home to rest.  Golladay would not have dropped that for sure.

2 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

And too his credit he did all of that, the blame is 50/50 in my mind.

Slayton should of laid out for it or just caught the ball.

But still this is a Jones thread not a Slayton thread lol 

Yeah I remember it being over-thrown, and I do remember thinking while watching the replay during the game that he should have thrown the ball sooner.  It was like he was so shocked Slayton was so open he was looking for the hiding safety.

10 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

Yeah I remember it being over-thrown, and I do remember thinking while watching the replay during the game that he should have thrown the ball sooner.  It was like he was so shocked Slayton was so open he was looking for the hiding safety.

Exactly... laid out up there like a kiss...from a virgin.

On 9/17/2021 at 7:10 AM, gmenroc said:

I think he overthrew Slayton so he's at least partially responsible for that one.

4 hours ago, Treehugger said:

I think he overthrew Slayton so he's at least partially responsible for that one.

Maybe.  I am a believer that if ball hits both of receivers hands...he is paid to catch it...not let it slip away.  Could the pass have been better?  Sure...but it was good enough.  I'd go 98%/2% fault in favor of Slayton on that play

15 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Maybe.  I am a believer that if ball hits both of receivers hands...he is paid to catch it...not let it slip away.  Could the pass have been better?  Sure...but it was good enough.  I'd go 98%/2% fault in favor of Slayton on that play

Will have to disagree with you there brother... the receiver stretching his fingers to try to catch the ball shouldn't be an indictment... I think Jones threw a bad ball unfortunately.