SportsWrath

New York Giants' Victor Cruz drawing 'ton' of interest

Treehugger

New York Giants' Victor Cruz drawing 'ton' of interest

By Chris Wesseling

Coach Tom Coughlin recently admitted to frustration at the New York Giants' inability to find common ground in contract talks with restricted-free-agent wide receiver Victor Cruz.

If the Giants truly are more focused on extending receiver Hakeem Nicks' contract, will that expose their flank for another team to take a run at Cruz?

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport hears there is already "a ton of interest" on Cruz, with "plenty of teams just waiting for their opening" once free agency kicks off. Just 26 years old, Cruz is a sharp route runner with explosive run-after-catch ability. In addition to top-10 production over the past two years, the Eli Manning-to-Cruz connection already boasts more touchdowns of 70+ yards than all but two combinations in NFL history.

Cruz is sure to draw the first-round tender from theGiants. The question is if the traditionally slow restricted free-agent market will bear fruit for an impact slot receiver. "There is enough interest in Cruz to make me think this could be the year someone bites on an RFA," Rapoport adds.

One team to watch is the St. Louis Rams, holding an extra first-round pick from last offseason'sRobert Griffin III trade. With slot machine Danny Amendola ready to test the market, Cruz could entice the Jeff Fisher-Les Snead tag team to part with one of those high picks.

I really want him to stay, but for two firsts I would be willing to let him walk.

No team is going to give up 2 first round picks for Cruz.. and let's not forget it also depends on who's throwing the ball. Steve Smith comes to mind... I like Cruz.. a lot.. and the fans love him... and he likes New York... I doubt he will try to dime and nickle the Giants... at the end of the day the Giants will make him an offer that I think will be fair... knowing some other teams will make a higher offer... if he walks so be it... otherwise, I expect him to be a Giant.

The only thing the Giants have is that being in a big market city like NYC. Cruz could be one of those top notch guys that comes once in a while. I think we need Cruz back. I wouldn't even want to gamble on two first rounders.

Do we even have the money to pay 3 first rounders?

The only thing the Giants have is that being in a big market city like NYC. Cruz could be one of those top notch guys that comes once in a while. I think we need Cruz back. I wouldn't even want to gamble on two first rounders.

What team would give up 2 first rounders?

Agree. What team would give up two first founder for a WR?? Cruz is a top 10 WR in the league IMO. I guess we'll see when a deal is done with Mike Wallace. Then we can determine the worth of Cruz. Not saying they are the same type of player, in fact I think Cruz has more skill where as Wallace is speed.

Yeah it's only one first rounder, think guys are saying two, cause that's what St. Louis has. We would only get one of those two, most likely the latter which would be 22nd, the pick they received from Washington.

Only the St Louis Rams in recent history managed to keep a wide receiver tandem on par to what we have now in Nicks and Cruz. Cardinals couldn't keep Bolquin and Fitzgerald together. I hope we can managed that same feat and would go so far as to putting a franchise tag on him next season if a deal can't be worked out this year. One first round draft pick for a proven talent like Victor Cruz is a bargain, he's worth two.

Only the St Louis Rams in recent history managed to keep a wide receiver tandem on par to what we have now in Nicks and Cruz. Cardinals couldn't keep Bolquin and Fitzgerald together. I hope we can managed that same feat and would go so far as to putting a franchise tag on him next season if a deal can't be worked out this year. One first round draft pick for a proven talent like Victor Cruz is a bargain, he's worth two.

Wayne and Harrison too.

In fairness, the Cards didn't really try too hard to keep Boldin and Fitzgerald together. They gave Fitz the big contract and told Boldin he;d have to take the scraps, while thinking they could cover themselves with Breaston,

I would tender Cruz, because I'll be honest, I don't see him being as good as he was, and I think Randle will make that step up this year. You get a guy like Hixon to resign and then make sure you lock up nicks next year. I really don't see Cruz havng the same worth at this time next year and his value will have dropped.

I would tender Cruz, because I'll be honest, I don't see him being as good as he was, and I think Randle will make that step up this year. You get a guy like Hixon to resign and then make sure you lock up nicks next year. I really don't see Cruz havng the same worth at this time next year and his value will have dropped.

My sentiment exactly.. and as much as I love Cruz, I'm mentally prepared to see him go... although I have this feeling he will be a Giant.

Wonder if Welker's deal with Denver and Amendola's with New England - both around $6M per year - makes Cruz back off his $10M per year asking price? Yes, he's put up bigger numbers than Amendola and he's younger than Welker but is he worth THAT much more in the current market?

Wonder if Welker's deal with Denver and Amendola's with New England - both around $6M per year - makes Cruz back off his $10M per year asking price? Yes, he's put up bigger numbers than Amendola and he's younger than Welker but is he worth THAT much more in the current market?

It better make him back off his asking price. $10m for a slot WR is ridiculous. Did you notice that late in the year on 2-WR sets, Nicks and Randle would be in the game? It's because Cruz isn't nearly as effective outside. If he thinks he deserves $10m or more a year, go let him rot in Minnesota and then see how he feels. When looking at Welker and Amendola, two of the best slot WRs in the NFL, getting $6m per year, it makes me realize the Giants shouldn't offer Cruz a dime over $8m. $8m is already too much for a slot WR, and Cruz needs to be aware of all of his potential off-field opportunities playing in the media capital of the world. Combine that with the fact that his family lives in the area and he grew up here, Cruz should take something on the lines of 5 years, $38m and be happy to be the highest paid slot WR in the league and have tons of endorsement opportunities.

I really want him to stay, but for two firsts I would be willing to let him walk.

I think someone is going to sign him. Reese will get a semi-decent player in the 1st round in exchange for the best slot receiver in the NFL.

Boomer was saying this morning Baltimore should make a play on him. Losing boldin you know that Cruz is a great receiver most likely better then they could do with the last pick in the first round.

You think Cruz can cover the gaping hole left by Boldin? That dude played like a man possessed and was instrumental to get them the trophy. Cruz (and I say this with all the love) is not a #1, he shines to a certain extent because Nicks draws double coverage... and I think the bar was set By Welker and his replacement in NE... I'd say $7M Per year sounds about right...