SportsWrath

New York Giants' Victor Cruz drawing 'ton' of interest

Treehugger

He'll be here. Cruz is a star in New York. He's a great fit in our offense and he's already cashed in big with marketing and endorsements. I have no doubt he'd be productive for another team but for a 1st round pick and a contract big enough to outbid the Giants I don't think it would pay off.

If I were a GM of any team, I'd gladly give my #1 for Victor Cruz.

It's shocking to me that no team seems to think that way, as well. I'd give up our own #1 this season to retain Cruz. I'd be willing to bet a lot of them figure Cruz will hit the open market next year anyway.

Jim Irsay: Colts aren't targeting N.Y. Giants' Victor Cruz

• By Dan Hanzus
  • Around the League Writer
  • Published: March 17, 2013 at 08:24 p.m.
  • Updated: March 18, 2013 at 10:47 a.m.

The New York Giants are bracing for a challenger in the Victor Cruz sweepstakes. Based on Jim Irsay's hyperactive Twitter feed, it's certainly fair to theorize the Indianapolis Colts could be in the mix.

But that's not the case, apparently. At least, that's what Irsay told reporters in Arizona at the NFL Annual Meeting on Sunday night.

"It's not Cruz, no," the colorful Colts owner said Sunday night, according to The Indianapolis Star.

Irsay tweeted on Saturday that the Colts had been working on a deal for five days, adding that they were "very, very, very close" to making it work. He hinted in a subsequent tweet that the targeted player is a wide receiver. In another tweet, he called the mystery receiver a "whopper."

Cruz is not the whopper. Then again, why would Irsay admit it if Cruz was? If you have any theories on the identity of the mysterious whopper, please share in the comment section.

they have hilton in the slot who is in the middle of breaking out as a slot star himself and he costs them next to nothing.

they kind of fit the bill as that overachieving team that thinks they are one piece away from the superbowl but with two highly drafted TEs and hilton in the slot where do you line cruz (or hilton) up?