SportsWrath

Osi Given Permission to Seek Trade

BleedinBlue

This is like Shockey all over again.

Was a star in 2007. Since then, 2008-injured, missed the season; 2009-sucked and pouted; 2010-good, not great season.

From PFT:

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 1, 2011, 11:09 AM EDT

The “good conversation” between Osi Umenyiora and the Giants on Sunday provided immediate results.

ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio reports that the Giants have granted Umenyiora’s agent permission to seek a trade. This sounds promising for Umenyiora’s hope for a new deal, but the Giants’ trade demands could hold things up.

The Giants want a first round pick in exchange for Umenyiora, which will be difficult to attain. Umenyiora’s agent began calling teams Monday morning to find out who is interested. The Giants may have to come off that price if they really plan to move the disgruntled pass rusher.

Umenyiora will remain at Giants camp while trade talks happen.

---------------------------------------------------

From True Blue:

The Giants have given Osi Umenyiora’s agent permission to shop the defensive lineman for a potential trade, according to an ESPN report that was confirmed by a source familiar with the situation.

The two-time Pro Bowler reported one day late to Giants camp Saturday demanding a new contract or a trade.

Tony Agnone, Umenyiora’s agent, had no comment on the report.

Umenyiora has two years left on a contract that would pay him $3.1 million in 2011 and $3.975 million in 2012. The going rate for top pass rushers is about $10 million a season.

ESPN reported Sunday that the Giants want a first-round draft pick in exchange for Umenyiora.

Teh pass rusher appeared at camp Saturday demanding a new contract or to be traded. And an ESPN report Sunday indicated Umenyiora wants to be traded to Seattle.

Umenyiora and general manager Jerry Reese spoke Saturday, with Reese calling it “a very good conversation” during a Monday morning interview on WFAN 660. But he added that issues remain.

“Osi and I had a very good conversation and that’s all I’m going to say about that,” Reese said on the Boomer and Carton Show. “There’s still some on-going issues involved with that. But we had a very good conversation.”

Reese said he would not talk about Umenyiora further until all the issues have been resolved.

He and Umenyiora have been feuding over the disgruntled defensive end’s contract. The defensive end’s relationship with the team deteriorated after he gave a sworn affidavit as part of the recent Brady vs. NFL players lawsuit during the lockout, claiming Reese told him in 2008 that if the he were still playing at a high level in two years, he’d reward him with a new contract or trade him.

When it did not happen, Umenyiora basically called Reese a liar.

The defensive end took his physical Sunday and rode a stationary bike instead of practicing with the team. He was scheduled to see team doctor Warren Russell for an examination, possibly on the left hip that he had arthroscopic surgery on in the off-season and has hobbled him since 2006.

Umenyiora was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2005 and 2007. He had sacks last season with 11½ and tie d an NFL record with 10 forced fumbles.

Posted by Jeff Roberts on 08/01 at 10:14 AM

Guest StrahansGap

He'll be a big distraction all season long. Get rid of the asshole already.

From Rotoworld:

The Giants have given RE Osi Umenyiora permission to seek a trade, according to ESPN's Sal Paolantonio.

Despite reporting to the Giants Sunday, Umenyiora remains an unhappy camper. He wants a new contract or a trade, and the G-Men are apparently willing to accommodate the latter thanks to their impressive defensive end depth. Anyone interested in Umenyiora would have to pay a severe price -- high draft picks plus a pile of cash in a long-term contract. The Seahawks and Ravens may be interested.

He'll be a big distraction all season long. Get rid of the asshole already.

From Rotoworld:

The Giants have given RE Osi Umenyiora permission to seek a trade, according to ESPN's Sal Paolantonio.

Despite reporting to the Giants Sunday, Umenyiora remains an unhappy camper. He wants a new contract or a trade, and the G-Men are apparently willing to accommodate the latter thanks to their impressive defensive end depth. Anyone interested in Umenyiora would have to pay a severe price -- high draft picks plus a pile of cash in a long-term contract. The Seahawks and Ravens may be interested.

this is a contract dispute......hes not an asshole for asking for a better deal.......a bit misguided perhaps

and in fact he was our best defensive player last year.......you think we have guys like this lined up to replace that?

Only seems fair. If, as he claims, he should be among the top salaried players at his position than he should be able to get someone out there to pay it and give up a 1st rd pick.

If he can't, perhaps he and his agent need to rethink what his true market value is.

i would like him to stay ........but only if he is 100 % healthy and 100 % committed ...and if he doesn't cost the earth

if he is going to be a baby and a big distraction then he can walk

we have Kiwi , JPP , Canty at DE......and we can go get some more cover if we need to

As long as the Giants stick to their asking price, I'm happy. I'd rather he go to Seattle, as I'm sure that 1st rounder would be far higher in the draft than the first rounder the Ravens would end up giving us.

Way I see it is if Kolb can fetch a 2nd rounder and a starting CB for the Eagles, there'd be no reason why Osi couldn't fetch the same.

again he was our #1 D player last year.........what other team but the crotchety ol giants would let this simmer this long

I suppose, given the prohibition on negotiations due to the lockout, all 32 teams in the league where forced to let things "simmer" until last week

Whatever. 1st rounder isn't unreasonable, since they'd have to use a first rounder to get a good pass rusher anyway.

At this point, I don't really care--he's been whining about his contract since Tuck extended his, and the act is tired.

I see what the giants are doing, showing Osi what his true value is.

He wants to be paid like a top 5 DE, if he is truly a top 5 DE then some team would be willing to give up a 1st for him.

That's very perceptive of you, Pdub. Methinks you are correct.

I really hope he stays... i just got this awesome Osi jersey off Ebay at a great price.!!!!! :TD:

LOL....this was my line of thinking. Osi's is the only jersey I have thats authentic. :P

Or at least I was told it was. Until Socal told me otherwise. -_-

LOL....this was my line of thinking. Osi's is the only jersey I have thats authentic. :P

Or at least I was told it was. Until Socal told me otherwise. -_-

Not to change the subject but buying authentic jerseys is a rip off like no other... hell even when I tried to buy one they don't have anything less than XL

Yeah, I havent bought one since, no need to.

What strikes me is they sell them as though us fan are gonna be wearing pads... shit I'm 5 5" and I sure as hell don't want to walk around like a kid wearing his dad's jersey.

How 'bout this?

Cut Canty's underproducing ass (he's the highest priced player on the line right now) and sign Osi, who's actually done well for us.

Seriously, Chris Canty? When has he ever done 42 million dollars worth of playing? What a waste.