SportsWrath

Osi Given Permission to Seek Trade

BleedinBlue

OK, I love Osi, but he's starting to piss me off.

Ohm just tweeted that Osi sent a letter to Jerry Reese, stating he hopes he can stay a Giant and is tired of being portrayed as a bad person for wanting a raise.

Osi, shut the fuck up and honor your contract :ranting2:

How 'bout this?

Cut Canty's underproducing ass (he's the highest priced player on the line right now) and sign Osi, who's actually done well for us.

Seriously, Chris Canty? When has he ever done 42 million dollars worth of playing? What a waste.

I'm not a fan of Canty.. I don't think he's done much... Golfin said Canty occupied two players... I haven't seen that. I'm actually content with the Giants letting Osi seek a trade... let him/his agent do the leg work.. and if we can get a draft pick or a stud LB then why not.. after all we're stacked at DE.. and we have more than enough.

Anyone knows how much he's supposed to make over the next 2 years?

His contract calls for $3 1/4 million this year, $3.975 million next year.

It doesn't help when he sees dumbass teams like Jacksonville giving one-year wonder Charles Johnson...a DE of similar caliber $72 million over 6 years or like what Oakland just gave converted DE to linebacker Kamerion Wimbley a contract for $48 million, with $29 million guaranteed when he's never been a pro bowler and averages 58 tackles a year.

The trouble with overpaying players means you have to surround them with mid-range and lower players just to stay under cap. Most teams aren't that stupid. The Redskins have always been that stupid and we can see what good it has done them.

I just sold my Osi Jersey on ebay, but the fucker hasn't paid yet, that's not you is it?

LOL. Nah I already for my red and white authentic Osi jersey. I'm pretty scewed. Got three stratan(blue, red and white). A pierce white. A blue Hicks. If Osi leaves I only have hicks as active player.

Anyway, time for Osi to go.

I'd give Osi the benefit of the doubt... the dudes sees his value thru dollar amounts... a lot of us do. I hope Osi stays a Giant and I hope he gets his worth.. just as I hope he mans up and show up when it really counts. You gotta be consistent. Man I miss 92.

Only seems fair. If, as he claims, he should be among the top salaried players at his position than he should be able to get someone out there to pay it and give up a 1st rd pick.

If he can't, perhaps he and his agent need to rethink what his true market value is.

Exactly...let him test the market and see if anyone meets or comes close to his price...methinks dear Osi will be shocked to find out he is not viewed as the Second Coming of Strahan. And if anyone gives him the money he is asking for he should be setting up an annuity fund for the aforementioned Strahan who helped him build most of his stats by playing opposite him with double, triple teams plus being chipped by a back or two.

Umenyiora mentioned how long-time fixtures on the Giants like Shaun O'Hara and Rich Seubert were recently released as a reason why players need to get the best deal possible.

"Saying I have two years left on my deal," Umenyiora wrote. "These contracts only mean something to us? Where is O'Hara? Where is Seubert? True inspirational football players. They were cut after being injured. They have years left on their deal. Why is (Brandon) Jacobs asked to take a pay cut? He has (two) years left on his deal."

"The fact is in the business we are in, if you get injured, or they feel like you underperformed, they cut you without hesitation," he continued. "But if you clearly outplay your contract, and ask for something to be done, you're a bad guy and not a team player. It's ridiculous."

Osi does have a point.

The NYPost says five teams are inquiring about Osi. I really hope they do not let him go cheap.....or pony up and give him a longer term contract that's consistent with his talent. Either or....it needs to get done and clip this problem in the bud!

There's always two sides to every story:

1) Giants can't afford to keep Osi http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/08/dalessandro_giants_cant_afford_1.html

2) Giants can't afford to lose Osi http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/umenyiori_must_be_included_in_giants_y8a0UXUNqBn6u4f6ue378N

Exactly...let him test the market and see if anyone meets or comes close to his price...methinks dear Osi will be shocked to find out he is not viewed as the Second Coming of Strahan. And if anyone gives him the money he is asking for he should be setting up an annuity fund for the aforementioned Strahan who helped him build most of his stats by playing opposite him with double, triple teams plus being chipped by a back or two.

Preach on T, preach on!

Here is an article about Osi's extension when he signed it back in 2005:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2270401

the guy made $21mil in the first 3 years alone, it was the largest extension ever for a 3rd year vet, and his own agent said "This moves Osi into a category with the most elite ends in the game, and that's saying something for a player who hasn't even completed his third season yet."

now, let's see Osi's stats since he signed the extension from 2006 on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osi_Umenyiora#Statistics

has Osi lived up to the insane extension he signed? in 2006 he was hurt and only had 6 sacks and 1 FF. in 2007 he had a very good year (however, T's point can be raised here). 2008 he misses the season. 2009 is another down year after coming back from injury. 2010 he is a FF machine, but his run D, which went out the window in previous years, is still dormant. so, 5 years into his deal and he has, at most, 2 good years. the rest were poop.

so to answer my own question... no, Osi has not lived up to his "elite ends" contract.

and this mofo is bitching about needing more $. Fuck Osi.

Umenyiora mentioned how long-time fixtures on the Giants like Shaun O'Hara and Rich Seubert were recently released as a reason why players need to get the best deal possible.

"Saying I have two years left on my deal," Umenyiora wrote. "These contracts only mean something to us? Where is O'Hara? Where is Seubert? True inspirational football players. They were cut after being injured. They have years left on their deal. Why is (Brandon) Jacobs asked to take a pay cut? He has (two) years left on his deal."

"The fact is in the business we are in, if you get injured, or they feel like you underperformed, they cut you without hesitation," he continued. "But if you clearly outplay your contract, and ask for something to be done, you're a bad guy and not a team player. It's ridiculous."

Osi does have a point.

He does and that's the nature of the business.. and it's not like they are paying him minimum wage now..

Preach on T, preach on!

Here is an article about Osi's extension when he signed it back in 2005:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2270401

the guy made $21mil in the first 3 years alone, it was the largest extension ever for a 3rd year vet, and his own agent said "This moves Osi into a category with the most elite ends in the game, and that's saying something for a player who hasn't even completed his third season yet."

now, let's see Osi's stats since he signed the extension from 2006 on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osi_Umenyiora#Statistics

has Osi lived up to the insane extension he signed? in 2006 he was hurt and only had 6 sacks and 1 FF. in 2007 he had a very good year (however, T's point can be raised here). 2008 he misses the season. 2009 is another down year after coming back from injury. 2010 he is a FF machine, but his run D, which went out the window in previous years, is still dormant. so, 5 years into his deal and he has, at most, 2 good years. the rest were poop.

so to answer my own question... no, Osi has not lived up to his "elite ends" contract.

and this mofo is bitching about needing more $. Fuck Osi.

Case closed.

the case is not closed........he is still our best pass rusher, ball stripper...........you have to find a way to compromise with him or our season is looking a lot grimmer

No he's not. Tuck is our best pass rusher.. and the only reason he's more of a ball stripper is because he's a horrible tackler.. or doesn't like to tackle. Hence.. ok I overshot the QB let me take a swipe at his arm... We have enough DE's... let's get a nice trade-in value for him and move on.

Lets agree to dis-agree on this one Nas.....I like Osi, and I actually like having spirited guys around with passion and a sense of humor. Gap tooth defied Coughlin, and as I recall most of you guys sided with the Gapper.

Osi has both spirit and passion, he sings to his opponents before blazing by them. LOL.

You cannot be serious about the stripping......that is a drill DE's do all day long

Strahan is a first ballot HOFer. Osi isn't remotely close to sniffing the HOF, so comparing the two in any way, shape or form is just rediculous.

and i tend to agree with Nas on the ball stripping. Osi has no other option except to take a swipe at the ball. He has completely taken himself out of position to sack the QB, so he does his swipe. It worked for him last year a shit load, but what has his style of play gotten him other than that? He still can't defend the run at all and has not lived up to his "elite" contract... again, his own agent's words, not mine.

Nas is also 100% correct that Tuck is our stud pass rusher. Osi isn't worthy to sniff Tuck's jock. And the fact that Osi can't put up better numbers opposite Tuck, who is commanding the double and triple teams, is very telling. He should be killing the QB, but nope, he takes himself out of the play. I honestly can't remember a single instance of Osi planting a QB into the ground

To paraphrase the great Tuna... you are what your stats say you are

The compiled data and stats during Osi's contract extension proves he's not all that.

No he's not. Tuck is our best pass rusher.. and the only reason he's more of a ball stripper is because he's a horrible tackler.. or doesn't like to tackle. Hence.. ok I overshot the QB let me take a swipe at his arm... We have enough DE's... let's get a nice trade-in value for him and move on.

Sorry but that's bullshit. FF > sack. I'll take a turnover over a few negative yards any day. Even if it's recovered by the offense it's usually for a greater loss than a sack alone.

I also think Osi tends to come wider off the right than the DE on the left because that's the way the play is designed, to collapse the pocket. If both ends converged at the same spot the QB would have a much better chance of escaping.

If this guy kept it all in the locker room I don't think anyone would be criticizing his game. Also, if Osi didn't have that knee injury in the preseason a couple of years ago, I really believe he would be much more recognized as an elite pass rusher.

I don't get the Osi bashing. Like I said, he hasn't handled everything the right way but he's just trying to work the business side of football to maximize what he thinks he is worth. I don't like it but it has nothing to do with what I think of Osi the football player.

Justin Tuck already said that if they lose Osi, it's going to hurt. He said he didn't know how much it would hurt, but it would hurt.

LOL. Nah I already for my red and white authentic Osi jersey. I'm pretty scewed. Got three stratan(blue, red and white). A pierce white. A blue Hicks. If Osi leaves I only have hicks as active player.

You mean NICKS?