SportsWrath

So...if Gilbride goes, who do we look for?

fishgutmartyr

This isn't as hypothetical as it sounds--I've read elsewhere that besides the Raiders gig being a possibility, his contract is up.

With Mara's tirade yesterday, it's not exactly written in stone that any of the assistants are going to be kept, let alone re-signed. So what do we do?

For those of you that say "hire someone else," any suggestions?

Just for the record, I wouldn't mind seeing Gilbride back. I don't trust Charlie Weis, because his offense at NE wouldn't match well with the guys we have at running back (short pass as running game); and the Notre Dame fiasco. If Gilbride is gone, I would probably look into Palmer internally, or see what there is to see in NO.

I don't hate Gilbride and our WR's only matured this season. It was the D. If we were going to exit him, it would have been done all at once, I believe.

If he were hired away, then I would assume the TC's original promise upon being hired would hold true: that we would have an east coast offense. Something not west coast, short pass, but more power running, etc. Who that OC would be, well, who knows?

This isn't as hypothetical as it sounds--I've read elsewhere that besides the Raiders gig being a possibility, his contract is up.

With Mara's tirade yesterday, it's not exactly written in stone that any of the assistants are going to be kept, let alone re-signed. So what do we do?

Just for the record, I wouldn't mind seeing Gilbride back. I don't trust Charlie Weis, because his offense at NE wouldn't match well with the guys we have at running back (short pass as running game); and the Notre Dame fiasco. If Gilbride is gone, I would probably look into Palmer internally, or see what there is to see in NO.

whoever it is, the dog sure hopes for his sake he has the offense putting up 45 points a game with a perfect 50/50 balance of run vs. pass and who never, ever misses a call in a game situation. seems like a reasonable expectation around here anyway...of course, if the defense gives up 46 points a game, than the new OC is clearly to blame for the inevitable losses and should be run out of town in favor of someone who can produce 47 points a game...

Gilbride is good, generally speaking. The problem is that he tries to get too "cute" with the offense, and it usually costs us at least one or two games per season... three straight passes into a 45-mile per hour wind a year from Sunday, anyone?

However, I totally have no idea who I'd like to replace him with. Not Charlie Weis... it's pretty obvious it was the players in New England, not the system.

whoever it is, the dog sure hopes for his sake he has the offense putting up 45 points a game with a perfect 50/50 balance of run vs. pass and who never, ever misses a call in a game situation. seems like a reasonable expectation around here anyway...of course, if the defense gives up 46 points a game, than the new OC is clearly to blame for the inevitable losses and should be run out of town in favor of someone who can produce 47 points a game...

Good point. I was also thinking that of all the things wrong with this team, offensive production is at the bottom of the list...even with a bum at starting RB. But, if he leaves for greener pastures, what can you do? I think you gotta promote someone like Chris Palmer from within because there's been no problems at the position in house...just DC. Plus, from what I've heard, he's just as responsible for developing Manning into the QB he is currently as Gilbride...

Gilbride isn't our biggest problem, but if he goes, I won't shed too many tears.

Honestly, I'd have to do a little looking around in order to see who would be available to replace him.

My God, after all this time, it's good to see you finally see things our way.

Gilbride is good, generally speaking. The problem is that he tries to get too "cute" with the offense, and it usually costs us at least one or two games per season... three straight passes into a 45-mile per hour wind a year from Sunday, anyone?

However, I totally have no idea who I'd like to replace him with. Not Charlie Weis... it's pretty obvious it was the players in New England, not the system.

I agree. My high school coach was like that. They think to much into things, and idiotic ideas become genius, like a flea flicker on fourth and 1, when your running game is working. I still can't believe that play (from high school, not Gilbride).

how bout Jim Fassel?

i'd be fine with that but i don't think the maras like him anymore. The offenses I respect are:

San Diego

Green Bay

Dallas

Minnesota

Indy

I wouldn't argue with someone on the rise from any of those teams.

Good point. I was also thinking that of all the things wrong with this team, offensive production is at the bottom of the list...even with a bum at starting RB. But, if he leaves for greener pastures, what can you do? I think you gotta promote someone like Chris Palmer from within because there's been no problems at the position in house...just DC. Plus, from what I've heard, he's just as responsible for developing Manning into the QB he is currently as Gilbride...

That's what I was thinking when I mentioned him. You have to wonder if the light coming on for Manning at the end of 2007--Palmer's first year as QB coach--was more than coincidence.

how bout Jim Fassel?

heh.

But you guys seem to be missing the point. If Gilbride's contract is up, he's going to want more money, and Mara's probably not in a particularly generous mood: That Oakland gig is going to look even more tempting to that geezer. I really don't care what you guys think of him in this thread--what do you do? Who do you give a contract to?

EDIT: Just saw Nem and Blu's post. That's what I was interested in.

Not to stir things up too much, but lost in the talk about our shit sandwich defense is the fact that the Giants offense took a two week bye to end the season.

As I said before, Gilbride is not the Giants biggest problem, but I think he's replaceable....he was way too up and down for my taste.

there's that college coach, mike leach who just got canned for locking some spoiled kid in the closet.

he's supposed to be a good offensive mind. i already approve his methods. :rolleyes:

What happened there? I only caught bits and pieces. ESPN made it sound like the kid got a concussion and was locked in a shed as punishment.

What happened there? I only caught bits and pieces. ESPN made it sound like the kid got a concussion and was locked in a shed as punishment.

thats pretty much what happened.

he also locked him in a closet of some sort too.

depends who you talk to. some say the kid was lazy. his dad is craig james from espn, who acted like a "little league dad" they say the kid blew it out of proportion.

leach says it was a ploy to get out of paying him-he signed a contract worth 12.5 mill- and he's suing the school

but most agree he's an offensive brain. definitely quirky though.

I prefer having Gilbride back, but if I had to pick a replacement Weis would probably be at the top of my list...I remember in his years with New England he was real good about playing to the talents of the guys he had. His game plans were all over the board too. I like a coach who can pull that off, like Belichick back in the day.

Still what the dude was wrong. Sounds like he's a self-righteous prick.

P.S. Welcome back VG and Happy 2010

It speaks volumes on how good of a job Gilbride has done when only three board members have a vague clue as to where or who the next offensive coordinator for the Giants could possibly come from or be.

Yeah Gilbride has his down right WTF did you just call moments but he is one of the reasons the Giants offense is fun to watch.

I'm not a fan of any of those suggestions. First, if Gilbride gets an offer, he's gone. He's only not an HC because the superbowl run closed out a bunch of opportunities.

Two, if he gets an offer, you can bet he's gone and I'm sure he'd love to be back in Cali.

Three, if he does go, we don't need and won't soon adopt a west coast offense.

I'd say we'll be looking for someone who runs a Norv Turner-like offense, who that is, I have no idea and neither to you.

I'm not a fan of any of those suggestions. First, if Gilbride gets an offer, he's gone. He's only not an HC because the superbowl run closed out a bunch of opportunities.

Two, if he gets an offer, you can bet he's gone and I'm sure he'd love to be back in Cali.

Three, if he does go, we don't need and won't soon adopt a west coast offense.

I'd say we'll be looking for someone who runs a Norv Turner-like offense, who that is, I have no idea and neither to you.

Cam Cameron is a Norn Turner type offense. Plus, he love to run the ball. Look at what he has done in San Diego and Baltimore.