SportsWrath

Strahan to retire

BlueInCanada

I would be lying if I said I expected this. I too thought he was just biding his time. It will be a shame and the team definitely lost a leader. I wonder who will step up and make the emotional pre-game speech now?

Good luck with your television career Mike and thanks for all the years of excellence.

Now to the obvious questions:

#1: Hall of famer? Yes.

#2: Retire his number? Yes.

Some Strahan memories:

Him returning a fumble/int for a TD from Doug Peterson to beat the Eagles in overtime.

The Favre sack. How cool is it that two of the classiest, greatest players from their era are forever tied together in that one record-setting (if not controvesial) play?

Four sacks of Warner in his record-setting year.

His sacks of Dilfer in the Super Bowl.

His unbelievable play in this last Super Bowl (looked like a 27-year old kid).

I also have to give Kudos for going out the RIGHT way. Wait till the offseason, make your decision... thanks Mike, for not turning the final six games of the season into a fiasco a'la Tiki Barber. You'll be missed. :cwy:

I would be lying if I said I expected this. I too thought he was just biding his time. It will be a shame and the team definitely lost a leader. I wonder who will step up and make the emotional pre-game speech now?

Good luck with your television career Mike and thanks for all the years of excellence.

Now to the obvious questions:

#1: Hall of famer? Yes.

#2: Retire his number? Yes.

Definite first-ballot HOF and greatest DE of his era.

Retire his number? I'd say yes, BUT... Carson doesn't have his retired. I could see why they might not retire Stray's but I hope they do. IMHO, there can never be another #92.

Definite first-ballot HOF and greatest DE of his era.

Retire his number? I'd say yes, BUT... Carson doesn't have his retired. I could see why they might not retire Stray's but I hope they do. IMHO, there can never be another #92.

There shouldn't have been another #53. :furious:

Anyway "Big Ol' Michael Strahan" and his gap will be missed greatly but we knew it would happen sooner or later. Thanks for years of dedication to this team.

Bout to buy a Strahan Jersey b4 the prices get ridiculous.

Today is one of those days that make you reflect on your age. I was a freshman in college when he was our 2nd round (first pick for the team we used our 1st rounder on Dave Brown in the 92 supp draft) in 1993. I saw every game he has has played and next to LT he was the best Giant defensive player I have seen. And thats some pretty good company. Best wishes Mike.

This is the only way to go. It's not like we dominated the league. If he returned and we didn't do well, he'd have to take his last breath on the field and the smell would not be sweet.

I feel that this is a smart thing and though I miss him already, I wouldn't pay him 8M. He's good, but he'd been hurt in recent years and who knows how this would play out.

The good teams don't hold on too long and that's the nature of things. The fact that he was ours (and only ours) as well as a HOF'er and was with us to win a championship is huge.

As much as I love TIki (despite himself), he wasn't part of the championship and he gets notable mentions not unlike Rodney Hampton or Rob Carpenter, but Strahan was part of the total package for us...they weren't.

Thanks for the laughs Mike, I'm guessing he's soon to announce his reporting job or role on Best Damn.

Good for Mike, glad he's decided to hang it up on a high note and still in one piece. The reign of Justin Tuck has officially begun. What Justin Tuck has been doing up until now was just giving everyone a small dose of his ability.

Do you think he will work with the Defense in a coaching capacity, or will he go and join the FOX pre-game show?

There is no way he is not a first ballot HOF, and deserves to have his number hanging in the new Stadium next to 56

Guest StrahansGap

FoxSports.com's Jay Glazer reports that Michael Strahan has decided to retire.

"It's time. I'm done," Strahan said, who wanted to let teammates know before minicamp. While Strahan will be remembered for his record 22.5 sack season and his big mouth, he's a Hall-of-Famer because he was also consistently strong against the run. Strahan is fifth-all time in sacks and could enter the Hall with buddy Brett Favre and Warren Sapp in five years. The Giants pass rush will suffer, but they are well equipped to move Justin Tuck outside and use Mathias Kiwanuka more as a pass rusher. Jun. 9 - 11:26 am et

Thank you Stray, for all those years. And thanks for staying a Giant!! YOU ARE TRUE BLUE ALL THE WAY TO THE HALL OF FAME.

The Giants have a habit of teetering on who gets their number retired or not. Strahan should have crossed the threshold, but who knows. Carson is a 9 time pro bowler, Strahan 7 time. It's not a given.

Me personally, I'd do it.

One thing that I don't like is this Favre/ Strahan going into the hall at the same time. I mean, that day is going to simply be the Brett Favre show, and Strahan will have to play second fiddle. Plus, we're not going to stop hearing about that fucking "sack".

The Giants have a habit of teetering on who gets their number retired or not. Strahan should have crossed the threshold, but who knows. Carson is a 9 time pro bowler, Strahan 7 time. It's not a given.

Me personally, I'd do it.

One thing that I don't like is this Favre/ Strahan going into the hall at the same time. I mean, that day is going to simply be the Brett Favre show, and Strahan will have to play second fiddle. Plus, we're not going to stop hearing about that fucking "sack".

Maybe Mike could run on stage and tackle him halfway through his acceptance speech?

Hopefully Mike replaces either Dion Sanders or Keyshawn Johnson as a commentator. I hope he finally gets to nail Pam Oliver too. :TU:

my fav strahan moment was when he was miked up for monday night football about 5 or 6 years ago and kept abusing runyan and everytime he sacked mcnabb he'd act sorry for him and tell him to tell runyan to block better

My favorite memories of Strah are a number of games while we still were only so-so, he could be a major force (and was) in many a' competition.

It was fun watching him best one tackle after another. The team wasn't good, but he was still totally full of energy and enthusiasm, so it was fun to watch.

They should retire that number and Carsons. These are standout players; so was Phil and I don't believe he went to the pro bowl times.

Do you think he will work with the Defense in a coaching capacity, or will he go and join the FOX pre-game show?

There is no way he is not a first ballot HOF, and deserves to have his number hanging in the new Stadium next to 56

Man.. my friend called me at work to let me know Mike's just retired. I thought he was kidding. I really thought Stra would be back for one more year :brooding:

I really think he has something lined up in broadcasting.. he's pretty good at that.. unlike that dull Tiki.

Well Michael, thank you for a great career. You will be missed.

how the hell can you not come back to the best Giants team he's ever been a part of and try to defend the title? He's retiring with gas left in the tank, how sad.