SportsWrath

Update on Shockey trade rumors

BleedinBlue

Again....from Giants 101 MVN

Addressing the Shockey Rumors

By Michael Warren | April 7th, 2008

E-mail | Print | Share

Well, it’s been a few weeks since the initial Shockey rumors came about over the internet, and like a pesky bug, they refuse to go away. I have tried to stay away from them, but simply for the fact that they have stood the test of time, I will indulge myself. For those of you who have not heard by now, professional wrestling commentator Jim Ross talked in passing on his WWE blog about an alleged source that claimed Shockey would be on the move by draft day.

“My sources tell me that the New York Giants are going to trade outstanding TE Jeremy Shockey to Bush’s Saints, prior to the NFL draft. Shockey is an Oklahoma kid from Ada who told me last week he was looking forward to playing for the Saints. “

Now remember, this is a wrestling commentator we are talking about here. Though Ross is respected by his peers, I just do not see this holding much weight. Would Shockey really be that dumb as to tell this man that he’s looking forward to playing for the Saints? I think not. That being said, I don’t think “J.R.” just pulled this out of thin air, because it doesn’t look like he has any real motive to lie about something so out of his element. I’d attribute this to a misquote or simply a misunderstanding. As for the “source”, for all we know his friend might have told him that he heard on the news that there was a possibility that Shockey might be traded to the Saints. It’s kind of humorous how these rumors stick around. They appear one day out of something that’s usually misconstrued information and then continue to circulate as more and more people find out about it and embellish the story. That being said, I, myself, am just perpetuating the situation by keeping the story alive right now. Thus, I will conclude it here by assuring you to not read too much into this thing. The fact that the rumor is still around does not mean that Reese and co. are revisiting the idea, probably just that someone just found out about the initial report and referred to it as if it were a current one. I will gladly eat crow if the blog entitled “J.R.’s Family Bar-B-Q” really did accurately get the scoop.

As for the prospect of trading Shockey itself, I’m kind of neutral. No doubt Boss can get the job done, but he is definitively no Shockey. Jeremy Shockey is a type of player that doesn’t come around very often. He is a good blocker, a great receiver, and most importantly he has the desire, will, and heart to go the extra mile on every single down. He brings a type of intensity to the Giants offense that is generally unmatched by anyone else (perhaps outside of Jacobs). The knocks on him can be a couple of things including his loud-mouth antics and supposed character issues, his frequent injuries, and the most popular of late, the fact that the team flourished in his absence. No one can downplay what he brings to the table skill-wise. The question is simply ‘Is he worth keeping around?’.

With the recent success of the Giants, Shockey seems to be somewhat irrelevant in the Giants offense. Moreover, it doesn’t look like the TE position, itself, is very relevant in the Giants offense. Maybe the Giants don’t need an outstanding tight end with the way the offense is set up. And in that respect, Boss is a fine TE to have. Right now he is a solid TE who will only improve with experience. He definitely needs to work on blocking, but I think that everything else will come with time. It’s never a bad problem to have two formidable players at the same position, and production-wise, it really couldn’t hurt to have both on board. That being said, if the right deal came along, one that would clearly set the Giants up for a significant increase in success for the future or fill a serious need, I would not be opposed to pulling the trigger. But there’s really no rush. If there’s no great offer right now, I say wait until there is one. Injuries could come about this year that force a team to make a deal for a TE, and with an impact player like Shockey able to be had, a good offer could be made. The one foreseeable problem is that Shockey could lose all value if he gets injured again. Unless a great offer comes on the table, the Giants should stick to their guns and work with the talent that they have. There’s no need to hurry.

as much as I like Shockey and what he brings to the team I have some definite concerns about his being injured every season since he's been here . If the Giants have any thoughts at all about trading him then they better do it before he has another injury that might kill any ideas from another team about dealing for him. Shockey is a damn good player, not a great receiver, who is a good blocker and does drop a lot of balls that should have been caught . If he could only stay healthy none of this would even be considered and I think thats Reeses concern with him...

As hard as he plays every week, injuries are just going to happen. Shockey was a pretty damn good receiver when Collins was hitting him and Fassel was calling the plays so I wouldn't take anything away from him as a receiver. He's the best tight end we've had since Bavaro. Drops are drops and I've seen an equal amount of bad throws to Shockey as I've seen drops. I sure can't wait to see playoff Eli hook up with Shockey next season.

as much as I like Shockey and what he brings to the team I have some definite concerns about his being injured every season since he's been here . If the Giants have any thoughts at all about trading him then they better do it before he has another injury that might kill any ideas from another team about dealing for him. Shockey is a damn good player, not a great receiver, who is a good blocker and does drop a lot of balls that should have been caught . If he could only stay healthy none of this would even be considered and I think thats Reeses concern with him...

First off Shockey and Boss are a good combo!

Shockey has his little quirky things going on

but as long as he is a team player for the Giants

I dont see any reason to let him go unless

it was a very sweet deal.

I see Shockey staying in blue !!!

Ross has been in the wrestling business for years and is a huge follower of Oklahoma football. If you remember the XFL he was a play by play guy.

Ross also did radio for the Atlanta Falcons in his WCW days. Although I would pick Gorilla Monsoon, Bobby Heenan, Jesse Ventura, or even Vince McMahon before I'd pick Jim Ross as a wrestling commentator.

Ross also did radio for the Atlanta Falcons in his WCW days. Although I would pick Gorilla Monsoon, Bobby Heenan, Jesse Ventura, or even Vince McMahon before I'd pick Jim Ross as a wrestling commentator.

I was always partial to "Mean" Gene Okerlund.

Would anyone oppose an experiment of Shockey at WR?

Who would he replace though? You are thinking along the right lines though.

Does anyone realize the reason the Saints are the team pushing for him? Payton knows how to use him. Stop dropping him down on the line every play. Shift him to the slot. Shift him outside. He is a serious mismatch waiting to happen if you just motion him away from the line and give him room to do his stuff. Not every down. But stop expecting him to put up the same kind of numbers he did early on when his pass routes all start in the middle of a traffic jam at the line.

Who would he replace though? You are thinking along the right lines though.

Does anyone realize the reason the Saints are the team pushing for him? Payton knows how to use him. Stop dropping him down on the line every play. Shift him to the slot. Shift him outside. He is a serious mismatch waiting to happen if you just motion him away from the line and give him room to do his stuff. Not every down. But stop expecting him to put up the same kind of numbers he did early on when his pass routes all start in the middle of a traffic jam at the line.

Yep. Payton is familiar with him and realizes what he brings to the table if he's used right.

But that's just the thing. I'm not sure if it's Eli, Gilbride, or my imagination, but it seems like his big play potential has vanished the last three years or so. I'm not saying he doesn't have any but it used to seem like he had at least one a game... now you get maybe three a season outta him.

I remember Phil Simms used to love to throw to his TEs. When he got hurt and Hostetler came in, suddenly Stephen Baker and Mark Ingram were getting targeted all the time. Some QBs just have a preference on who they go to in the passing game, and I think Eli may look to his WRs a more... and that may also be a reason Shock is so frustrated seemingly all the time.

Yep. Payton is familiar with him and realizes what he brings to the table if he's used right.

But that's just the thing. I'm not sure if it's Eli, Gilbride, or my imagination, but it seems like his big play potential has vanished the last three years or so. I'm not saying he doesn't have any but it used to seem like he had at least one a game... now you get maybe three a season outta him.

I remember Phil Simms used to love to throw to his TEs. When he got hurt and Hostetler came in, suddenly Stephen Baker and Mark Ingram were getting targeted all the time. Some QBs just have a preference on who they go to in the passing game, and I think Eli may look to his WRs a more... and that may also be a reason Shock is so frustrated seemingly all the time.

I think part of the problem with Shockey being used more as a blocker and less as a receiver is Coughlin, from what I've seen and read Coughlin likes his TEs to be blockers first and receivers second..and thats pretty much the way its been since TC got here. I know Gilbride gets the blame but I think TC has a lot to do with it .

Seph, i don't mean this rant as a knock, but I've seen this come up all over the place and I must respond.

The whole "he's not being used right" arguement is hogwash. He's a TE. his primary job is to block (which he is one of the best in the league at) and catch 5-20 yards passes, just like the greatest Giants TE ever Mark Bavaro did. His speed has diminished, he has trouble running routes, he's always hurt and drops a bunch of passes. But peeps keep saying he's not being used right. Wrong. That's not to say you can't take a shot down field here and there with him, cause it does happen, but TC & Gilbride are using him exactly how they should. Shockey simply doesn't deliver when the ball is thrown his way. it's a simple fact.

Regardless, i don't want him traded unless we get a 1st rounder in the top 15.

Oh yeah, Jim Ross can shut the fuck up.

Bobby Heenan and Gorilla Monsoon on Superstars of Wrestling, great stuff. Heenan could write a book of one liners, and as opposed to other wrestling commentators, his lines weren't fed to him over the headphones, he was genuinely funny. Poor Bastard has throat cancer.

Go to youtube and enter breakup of the Rockers. His line about Marty Jannetty throwing himself through a window to get away from Shawn Michaels is a classic.

Seph, i don't mean this rant as a knock, but I've seen this come up all over the place and I must respond.

The whole "he's not being used right" arguement is hogwash. He's a TE. his primary job is to block (which he is one of the best in the league at) and catch 5-20 yards passes, just like the greatest Giants TE ever Mark Bavaro did. His speed has diminished, he has trouble running routes, he's always hurt and drops a bunch of passes. But peeps keep saying he's not being used right. Wrong. That's not to say you can't take a shot down field here and there with him, cause it does happen, but TC & Gilbride are using him exactly how they should. Shockey simply doesn't deliver when the ball is thrown his way. it's a simple fact.

Regardless, i don't want him traded unless we get a 1st rounder in the top 15.

Oh yeah, Jim Ross can shut the fuck up.

:rolleyes:

Here we go again!

Shockey has never had more than 5 drops in a season...And, he only had 3 this season. Kevin Boss - had 3 drops in the playoffs alone.

:rolleyes:

Here we go again!

Shockey has never had more than 5 drops in a season...And, he only had 3 this season. Kevin Boss - had 3 drops in the playoffs alone.

I was thinking the same thing when I read that but the whole issue has been rehashed so many times I didn't want to comment.

The dropped passes stat is worthless. There are plenty of times a player doesn't get credited with a dropped pass, for whatever reason (like the ball not being thrown in the numbers). It's been discussed incessently on BBI. if Shockey is this monster receiver everyone likes to dream about, he should be coming down with any pass thrown in his direction. That's what top notch receivers do, and Shockey simply does not on a consistant basis. If you get a hand on the ball, you're a pro and you should come down with it. No if ands or buts.

Frankly, I don't care about his receiving stats. I just want him to block like he has been the last few years and i want coaches to have to gameplan for him. But the excuses peeps come up with for this guys weaknesses are rediculous.

The dropped passes stat is worthless. There are plenty of times a player doesn't get credited with a dropped pass, for whatever reason (like the ball not being thrown in the numbers). It's been discussed incessently on BBI. if Shockey is this monster receiver everyone likes to dream about, he should be coming down with any pass thrown in his direction. That's what top notch receivers do, and Shockey simply does not on a consistant basis. If you get a hand on the ball, you're a pro and you should come down with it. No if ands or buts.

I completely disagree. Shockey & Plax took a lot of heat for Eli's inconsistancy last season. No way in hell the receivers were to blame for all those 'drops' and 'wrong routes'.

I completely disagree. Shockey & Plax took a lot of heat for Eli's inconsistancy last season. No way in hell the receivers were to blame for all those 'drops' and 'wrong routes'.

In peewee football, a wr is expected to catch a ball that hits his hands.

It's one of the first things a wr learns.

Why is it different for pros?

Do you remember the last Washington game? What our receivers dropped 11 or more passes. A QB is not always perfect but Eli threw a lot of good balls that night, even in the wind.

Would anyone oppose an experiment of Shockey at WR?

no, I wouldn't want to see Shockey at WR because although a very talented player and an excellent blocker it has never been said that he has great hands and runs disciplined routes, isn't that what we want from a WR....

Frankly, I don't care about his receiving stats. I just want him to block like he has been the last few years and i want coaches to have to gameplan for him. But the excuses peeps come up with for this guys weaknesses are rediculous.

I see... So I should view what's considered to be a drop ball to your standards and not the NFL. Ok...Can't argue with that, really.

Shockey is a great recieving Tight End. (No pun intended) Does he drop balls? Yes, of course. But not as much as you think. Face it, you don't like Shockey, like many other Giants fans don't either, and every little mistake he makes you tend to blow things up out of propotion.

Psss... I got a little secret to tell you. You know Mark Bavaro? He use drop balls too.... In fact, one of the greatest plays in Giants history happened because Mark Bavaro dropped a balls. *****See Phil McConkey's TD in SB XXI. I know, I know...That was Mark Bavaro's only drop ball in his career.