SportsWrath

Preseason QB rankings

RaginCaucasian

The "rankings"..... read as crap to fill web pages.

1. Peyton Manning

2. Tom Brady

3. Carson Palmer

4. Drew Brees

5. Philip Rivers

6. Donovan McNabb

7. Ben Roethlisberger

8. Marc Bulger

9. Matt Hasselbeck

10. Michael Vick

11. Tony Romo

12. Matt Leinart

13. Jay Cutler

14. Vince Young

15. Brett Favre

16. Steve McNair

17. Alex Smith

18. Jeff Garcia

19. Jake Delhomme

20. Chad Pennington

21. Jon Kitna

22. Eli Manning

23. Damon Huard

24. Trent Green (assuming he's a Dolphin)

25. Jason Campbell

26. Rex Grossman

27. Byron Leftwich

28. J.P. Losman

29. Matt Schaub

30. Josh McCown

31. Tarvaris Jackson

32. Charlie Frye

Eli gets ranked behind an utter disaster from last year (Roethlisberger 7'th) and a guy who probably won't start (Garcia 18'th) and a guy likely to be suspended after his arrest (Vick 10'th), never mind the unproven commodities ranked higher (Leinart 12'th and Cutler 13'th) prove this list is utter bullshit.

Vick in the top 10?

It's the same every year with this guy. He'll start off hot, and the "experts" will say, "Mike Vick is the greatest athlete ever to play in the NFL, and one of the best QBs in the game today."

After 6 weeks of struggling, they'll use the same excuse they always use. "Well, it usually takes 3-17 years to fully grasp the West Coast Offense. Give him some time."

• 2 weeks later...

If I had a dime for every football list that this board labeled "bullshit" because Giants players or the team itself wasn't ranked high enough I could retire.

Rather than ranting about all of these lists, if I were a Giants fan, my thought process would be this:

1) We gave up three players for one (including a very good QB and one of the best LBs in football).

2) We got schooled in the first round, AT HOME, by a Panthers team that did not advance to the Super Bowl.

3) We lost again, in the first round, to an Eagles team that did not win another game in the playoffs and did not have their starting QB.

HEY ELI, FOR ALL WE GAVE UP TO GET YOU, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?

That's what this list is really asking...

Boy oh boy, if I had a dime...

An observation nobody points out is that Eli was doing very well (and the Giants were winning) until Luke Petitgout got hurt and was lost for the season in week 10. Eli is not effective when his blindside is not very well protected. But at least the Giants brass saw this and went out to replace Luke by drafting Joe Staley in the 1st round... oh wait, that didn't happen. They passed on Staley and drafted yet another CB. Of course, unlike Will Allen, Will Peterson, and Corey Webster, this one will be awesome.

If I had a dime for every football list that this board labeled "bullshit" because Giants players or the team itself wasn't ranked high enough I could retire.

Rather than ranting about all of these lists, if I were a Giants fan, my thought process would be this:

1) We gave up three players for one (including a very good QB and one of the best LBs in football).

2) We got schooled in the first round, AT HOME, by a Panthers team that did not advance to the Super Bowl.

3) We lost again, in the first round, to an Eagles team that did not win another game in the playoffs and did not have their starting QB.

Wrong, we gave up 1 drafted QB who was ranked lower than Eli by nearly every team and had the luxury of sitting behind Drew Brees for 2 years while he learned by watching, meanwhile Eli sat for half a season and was tossed into the fray against the best defewnses the entire league had to offer. The other 2 picks, including Merrimen, would not have been ours had we not made that trade, simply because had we not went after Eli, Kerry would have remained the starter and most likely would have won more games, meaning we wouldn't have been in the 12th spot, more likely 20th or there abouts.

Yep, we were schooled, byt the team that lost the NFC championsip game, and then Turds were nowhere to be seen in the playoffs that year. :)

We lost a hard fought game to a divisional rival, our biggest divisional rival, in their house, the toughest stadium for visiting teams to play in. Meanwhile, the Turds lost to a hawks team that didn't win another game in the playoffs with their start running back who missed most of the season. And we know how that game went don't we?

Wrong, we gave up 1 drafted QB who was ranked lower than Eli by nearly every team and had the luxury of sitting behind Drew Brees for 2 years while he learned by watching, meanwhile Eli sat for half a season and was tossed into the fray against the best defewnses the entire league had to offer. The other 2 picks, including Merrimen, would not have been ours had we not made that trade, simply because had we not went after Eli, Kerry would have remained the starter and most likely would have won more games, meaning we wouldn't have been in the 12th spot, more likely 20th or there abouts.

VG - I have to take exception with this part of your argument. First of all, had we not worked the trade out for Eli, we probably still would've drafted Rivers and kept him, alienating Collins just as much, and more than likely he would've still wanted out. I am not convinced that we would not have been in the 14th position because we still could have ended up in the same situation with Warner as the starter and Rivers the backup. Rivers is a good QB. His first season starting he made the Pro Bowl. You can make any excuses, but I don't see how by year three, starting for two years makes a difference over sitting for two years. Fact of the matter is that Eli has had more experience in front of the top level of competiton, while Rivers has come in and played exceptionally well. I think by this point Eli should have shown more. Furthermore, with respect to the rankings, although Eli was rated higher it was very, very close. Manning, Rivers, and Roethlisberger will all rated extremely high, with Manning barely clipping Rivers. Rivers also had the better college stats, was a better proven college winner, and had/has more mobility than Manning. There was no reason to trade up when you have two players at the same position that are so closely rated. In truth, Accorsi did it because they fell in love with the Manning name and thought he had this mystical ability to like that of Elway to win the Superbowl. Even though Elway didn't win until the last two seasons of his long and storied career. Remember the quotes from Accorsi following that draft? It was a bad rationalization at the time, bad logic, and a terrible decision that they overpaid for in trading up from #4 to grab Manning, when Rivers was right there.

That said, Eli is better than this ranking, and I would have him somewhere between 8-10. And Rivers, if not deserving of the number 5 ranking, should at worst be number 6, with only Donovan McNabb edging him.

An observation nobody points out is that Eli was doing very well (and the Giants were winning) until Luke Petitgout got hurt and was lost for the season in week 10. Eli is not effective when his blindside is not very well protected. But at least the Giants brass saw this and went out to replace Luke by drafting Joe Staley in the 1st round... oh wait, that didn't happen. They passed on Staley and drafted yet another CB. Of course, unlike Will Allen, Will Peterson, and Corey Webster, this one will be awesome.

Is any QB effective when his blindside is not very well protected?

And give me a fucking break about Joe Staley, he was a project

and as I recall the Giants already have a project at left tackle in

Guy Whimper.

Again, we don't really care about your opinion.

Is any QB effective when his blindside is not very well protected?

And give me a fucking break about Joe Staley, he was a project

and as I recall the Giants already have a project at left tackle in

Guy Whimper.

There are guys who can make do. Eli needs it completely locked down because of his immobility and his sometimes inability to feel the rush, he needs a shutdown LT, not just an average or even slightly better than average LT. Many Draft experts also think Joe Staley is an immediate starter, plus he was the 2nd highest rated LT in the draft after Joe Thomas who went #3. I am not convinced that Joe Staley is a project, and actually believe he could've helped the Giants right away. And Guy Whimper is not the answer for Eli Manning.

There are guys who can make do. Eli needs it completely locked down because of his immobility and his sometimes inability to feel the rush, he needs a shutdown LT, not just an average or even slightly better than average LT. Many Draft experts also think Joe Staley is an immediate starter, plus he was the 2nd highest rated LT in the draft after Joe Thomas who went #3. I am not convinced that Joe Staley is a project, and actually believe he could've helped the Giants right away. And Guy Whimper is not the answer for Eli Manning.

How do you know that Whimper is not the answer for the Giants

offensive line? Are you in the meetings with Jerry Reese, Chris Mara and

all of the scouts. If you are, please enlighten me.

Many draft experts thought Robert Gallery was the next coming

of Johnathan Odgen. Whoops.