SportsWrath

Jaylin "Just throw it" Hyatt.

BlueInCanada

"For Hyatt, it was his first NFL reception and one the team desperately needed. It’s also one he asked for as the Giants broke the huddle.

“I told DJ right before we broke out after the huddle, I said, ‘Throw it,’ I said, ‘Just throw it.’ And he trusted me, he threw it,” Hyatt told reporters after the game.

Hyatt wished he would have scored but it was still the spark the Giants needed. And perhaps even more impressive was that the rookie was able to hang onto the football while a Cardinals defender tried to knock it loose from behind on Hyatt’s blindside."

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/18/new-york-giants-jalin-hyatt-told-daniel-jones-throw-it-before-58-yard-bomb/

The Chiefs had the "fuck it Tyreek down there somewhere" meme.

Guess we got the "Just throw it" Hyatt now. 

12 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Hyatt really has potential. Could be a steal in the 3rd if he develops into a starter.

I think he's going to have the last laugh at all those draft analysts who said he's too slender and can't run routes.

WRs just aren't the physical beats they used to be.

The college one look passing game has really favored the smaller, faster WR who can get seperation instead of out jumping a DB.

And of course that is now reflected in the NFL.

Remember all the talk about Smith being to small to be a big play guy in the NFL, the Eagles don't seem to be to worried about it now. 

32 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

WRs just aren't the physical beats they used to be.

The college one look passing game has really favored the smaller, faster WR who can get seperation instead of out jumping a DB.

And of course that is now reflected in the NFL.

Remember all the talk about Smith being to small to be a big play guy in the NFL, the Eagles don't seem to be to worried about it now. 

It's still a good mix of tall, med, small height WR's in the NFL, but anytime a WR has speed and get separation will be coveted, so even medium to small guys can make significant contributions. I believe sometimes scouts overthink the height and weight thing in WRs, at least when looking at guys they know have good speed and separation. I get it in cases where you want a physical possession receiver, but you need guys like Hyatt too.

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Jones needs to figure out the timing on these long throws. 

Yeah he needs to throw sooner. He’s waiting to make sure they will get open. He should have seen Hyatt was going to be open much quicker and let fly. Wonder if that’s the interception gun shy stuff. 

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

It's still a good mix of tall, med, small height WR's in the NFL, but anytime a WR has speed and get separation will be coveted, so even medium to small guys can make significant contributions. I believe sometimes scouts overthink the height and weight thing in WRs, at least when looking at guys they know have good speed and separation. I get it in cases where you want a physical possession receiver, but you need guys like Hyatt too.

Yeah that's what I'm getting at.

Prior to 15 years ago you "needed" that big 6ft 5 230 pound WR#1 who could out catch and body DBs, ala TO/Calvin Johnson, etc. 

Now you have the best WRs in the NFL who are much smaller in terms of body mass just running all over the place. 

17 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Yeah that's what I'm getting at.

Prior to 15 years ago you "needed" that big 6ft 5 230 pound WR#1 who could out catch and body DBs, ala TO/Calvin Johnson, etc. 

Now you have the best WRs in the NFL who are much smaller in terms of body mass just running all over the place. 

Doesn't hurt that you can't touch a WR without a PI penalty either.

6 hours ago, mastershake said:

Hyatt really has potential. Could be a steal in the 3rd if he develops into a starter.

I think he's going to have the last laugh at all those draft analysts who said he's too slender and can't run routes.

A lot of us on this board were calling for him to be drafted.... I was elated when we got him.    

7 hours ago, Mr. P said:

If his ball placement on those throws was “spot on” they would have been touch downs. 

I was listening to Patricia Traina's podcast last night and the guy she had on with her was saying that he didn't think DJ had any trust in the OL and wasn't fully stepping into his deep throws. I'm no QB so 🤷🏽‍♂️ but those were the only real gripes I had with DJ yesterday. 

8 hours ago, boohyah said:

His ball placement on those throws and the Slayton post was spot on. He was short on the downfield to Slayton but Slayton had time to adjust and didn't.

Jones was excellent the second half overall. 

I think he was good enough on all those throws, although only very marginally on the throw to Slayton that came up short.

Slayton would be legit if he were the kind of receiver who can manipulate the defensive back. 

A lot of it is 'high pointing' to catch the ball and getting in position - earlier the Big 6-4 guys could out muscle the corners, nowadays these slender athletic freaks are also able to do it. That second pass that Hyatt caught was exactly that. Its high time we start using him to blow the top off a defense. Giants better watch a lot of Rams film - Rams really were playing damn well until that score just before the half took the air out of their tyres. Man - these momentum swings