SportsWrath

Seph Fixes the Giants, 2023 Edition, Part Three: Is There a Draft in Here?

Sephiroth

To start with, I’d like to apologize to Joe Shoen. I know he’s been waiting for this for just over a week now, and because of my tardiness he’s headed to Indianapolis without any idea of what to look for or who to keep an eye on.  I hope this gets to him promptly so he can feel better prepared for the draft in two months. 

So yes everyone, it’s time for the next installment of “Seph fixes the Giants.”  This time quite naturally, we’re going to focus on who to draft this April.  Though we’ve made some improvements in areas of need, we still have some gaping holes to fill, most notably at RB, WR, and in the secondary.  While we can’t fix everything this offseason (Dave Gettleman left me in a pretty bad spot), I think after running a dozen mocks or so there will be some players available that will help the team out.  I think record-wise the team takes a step back next year, so some of these guys are more developmental than “come right in and start” kind of guys, but I think most of them will contribute to the team over the next four years, barring injury. 

So without further ado: 

Round 1, pick 25:  WR Jalin Hyatt

“What?!?!? Seph is picking a WR slated to go in the second with the first pick!  IMGRATES!”  Ok, get it out of your systems.  Have a look at the guy’s game tape:  he’s got decent size but amazing quickness, and flat-out burner speed.  His lateral agility is nothing to write home about and he’s going to struggle with press coverage at first, but a true burner that does well in space is what our WR corps needs right now, and Hyatt has it in spades.  I suspect he’ll shoot up draft boards after the combine. 

Round 2, pick 57:  CB Garrett Williams

Here’s where we start to get to that  whole developmental thing.  Williams has great size, impeccable ball skills, and the stickiness to keep with big-bodied NFL receivers.  I’d like to see him flip his hips a bit better, but he makes up for it with his ability to diagnose plays.  He’s got the recovery speed when things go bad, and he’s not afraid to come up and stick a running back in the sweep/screen game. 

Round 3, pick 89:  RB Tank Bigsby

With only D’onta Foreman and Matt Breida on the roster right now, the team is in desperate need of running back depth.  Tank Bigsby is another one-cut guy that has speed, power, and most importantly, VISION… the latter of which I believe is the most important and often most overlooked quality in a running back.   Not just that, his jump cut is devastating and he has amazing lateral movement for a back this size.  He’ll end up splitting carries by year two and is a strong contender to get solid work day one. 

Round 3, pick 100: ED Nick Herbig

As an undersized pass rusher, I think Herbig’s role in the defense would be as an A-gap rusher and situational edge guy year one.  Eventually I’d love to see him transition possibly to the MLB spot full time, or be used as a movable piece all over the line.  Not quite as high on his as I was on Leo Chenal from last year, but I think he’s a guy who can come in and contribute in spot duty year one, with plus upside moving forward.  Oh yeah, he’s pretty decent in coverage too. 

Round 4, pick 128:  C Olusegun Oluwatimi

This dude is still here at the bottom of the fourth and I’m snatching him up.  Not only did he win the Rimington Award given to the best center in college football, but he also won the Outland Trophy for best interior lineman OVERALL.  He’s not a mauler and will need to work a bit on his strength, but he’s smart, mobile, understands blocking schemes, and has no problem getting to the next level.  Think more Shaun O’Hara than Nick Gates. 

Round 5, pick 162:  RB Deuce Vaughn

Let’s get this out of the way:  Deuce Vaugn is tiny.  Tiny, tiny, TINY.   He will probably never be a good blocker as a third-down back, and he’s not going to run over anybody not named Deon Sanders.  But watch his film:  he has flat-out amazing speed, balance, and hands, and again… great vision.  I envision Daboll taking this guy as a change-of-pace/3rd down runner and receiver out of the backfield.  I also think he can take a lot of the Wan’Dale Robinson plays until he’s fully healthy.  Definite bust potential here, but I’m happy swinging for the fences with this guy hoping to land a Darren Sproles type.  Oh yeah, he was used as a returner sporadically in college, which means he has a reasonable chance to unseat whoever it is that returns kicks on the GIants. 

Round 6, pick 209:  LB Dee Winters

I kind of have the feeling that you could give Wink Martendale Carrot Top and the kid who played Kevin Arnold’s best friend on The Wonder Years and he could make decent linebackers out of them.  Dee Winters strikes me as the kind of guy Wink would like;  sneaky athletic,  good instincts, and a ferocious hitter.   Doesn’t provide much in the way of pass rush, but deadly on a free run to the QB.   I think in spot duty for a few games, Winters is the kind of guy that can come in, not embarrass you, and will even provide one or two highlight-worthy plays over a few weeks. 

Round 6, pick 216:  TE McCallan Castles

This guy reminds me a lot of Daniel Bellinger, in that he does everything ok-to-good but nothing great.  He’s got legit height and good hands;  blocking is a bit spotty but he’s got the frame to add more weight and is certainly willing.  I think if Bellinger gets poked in the eye, Castles can come in and do a good Daniel Bellinger impersonation. 

Round 7, pick 242:  FB Hunter Lupeke

Hey, a guy can dream, right?  There’s no way we’re drafting this guy… but watching his film, I can’t help but get Kyle Juszyzyzyzyzk vibes off him.   I see him as another movable (albeit less skilled) piece for the offense that can play in the backfield, or as an in-line TE.  Doesn’t fit our offense at all, but has serious potential for a FB. 

Round 7, pick 245:  HB Tavion Thomas

Tavion Thomas has a little Brandon Jacobs to his game, which I love.  Decent speed, but man, you’ve gotta love that power.   I see him as another one-cut-and-go type that will make yards where there are none.  I don’t know that Daboll even likes power backs and I just drafted two, so yeah, I’m probably spitballing here… but I’d sure as hell draft him if for not other reason than third-and-goal at the 2. 

Round 7, pick 254:  T T.J. Bass

He’s ok at tackle, and I think you can put him there in spot duty, but I see him more as a guard.  He’s fine and may make the team as a backup interior o-lineman.  Coming from Oregon, he’s at least faced some decent competition. 

So there you have it.  Yes, Saquon is gone;  but we have four promising backs on our roster now instead of one.  Between Hyatt, Marshall, and our other receivers, it’s difficult to think we’re not in a better place at that spot than we were last season.   Our offensive line, though still in need of a year of seasoning, is finally in place.  And on defense, we have some terrific young corner and LBs that should come in and contribute. 

Joe Shoen, make it happen this year.  I’ll forgive you for drafting Joe Isuzu and Micah McFadden if you just listen to me this time.  You know you want to, and I know you're reading this.   

It would be pretty wild if they used 4 draft picks on backs.  

considering Daboll doesn’t keep a fullback on the roster too. 

Will make it that much more impressive if you’re right. 

7 minutes ago, The P said:

It would be pretty wild if they used 4 draft picks on backs.  

considering Daboll doesn’t keep a fullback on the roster too. 

Will make it that much more impressive if you’re right. 

Oh yeah man, there's like zero percent chance of this happening. Don't wanna draft the next Darren Sproles when you've got DJ Davison staring you in the face.

12 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Oh yeah man, there's like zero percent chance of this happening. Don't wanna draft the next Darren Sproles when you've got DJ Davison staring you in the face.

True, a second year DT is definitely the reason the team might not draft 4 backs. 

Pretty good Seph. I'm big on Hyatt, and I believe the rest of your position priorities make sense, although personally I'd draft an IOL higher, plus add depth at DL, and I LOVE the Bigsby pick but beyond that wouldn't draft more than 1 additional RB.

Bigsby is one of these guys who's deceptively elusive, can break tackles, and can bang it between the tackles as good as anyone. He's this year's Dameon Pierce if you ask me.

Herbig could be a sleeper. Here's a guy who, if he were just 30 lbs heavier and taller, would be a 1st round pick. I feel like whenever draft analysts write off a guy based purely on size, it often backfirees.

2 minutes ago, mastershake said:

He's also been the lone bright spot on an otherwise very mediocre Auburn offense and team in general the last few years.

Isn't he like the second best RB in the draft?

I doubt he makes it to the bottom of round two.

Never know though, guys like Pecheko fell to the 7th despite him being a fucking college freak and a combine warrior. 

5 hours ago, mastershake said:

Pretty good Seph. I'm big on Hyatt, and I believe the rest of your position priorities make sense, although personally I'd draft an IOL higher, plus add depth at DL, and I LOVE the Bigsby pick but beyond that wouldn't draft more than 1 additional RB.

Bigsby is one of these guys who's deceptively elusive, can break tackles, and can bang it between the tackles as good as anyone. He's this year's Dameon Pierce if you ask me.

Herbig could be a sleeper. Here's a guy who, if he were just 30 lbs heavier and taller, would be a 1st round pick. I feel like whenever draft analysts write off a guy based purely on size, it often backfirees.

Thanks man. And yeah... 4 backs is a lot, but Vaughn and Lupeke are really more utility pieces than backs. I'd take an interior O-lineman as well but in think scenario we picked up Ben Powers and Justin Pugh so there was no need.

Except for possibly my first two picks I don't expect Shoen to take any of these guys. 

Round 3, pick 100: ED Nick Herbig

As an undersized pass rusher, I think Herbig’s role in the defense would be as an A-gap rusher and situational edge guy year one.  Eventually I’d love to see him transition possibly to the MLB spot full time, or be used as a movable piece all over the line.  Not quite as high on his as I was on Leo Chenal from last year, but I think he’s a guy who can come in and contribute in spot duty year one, with plus upside moving forward.  Oh yeah, he’s pretty decent in coverage too. 

Herbig? Herbig what? Herbig Ass? Herbig Tits? Herbig Mouth?

Not to mention dude's got ED.  

My pre-free agency mock draft:

1st  Round #25: WR Jalin Hyatt, Tennessee (alternate if not available, WR Zay Flowers, Boston College)

It goes without saying this is a position of dire need.

2nd #57: CB Deonte Banks, Maryland

Really him or CB Garrett Williams would be fine here. We desperately need talent at this position.

3rd #90: C/G Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas

I could go LB here but I think OL is more critical.

3rd #101: LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

Athletic, versatile linebacker

4th #129: QB Clayton Tune, Houston

I'm going to take him here so we don't possibly lose him in the 5th. He's flying under the radar, IMO. At worst, he develops into a capable backup, but I think he has potential to be a starter in the league.

5th #163: DT Cameron Young, Mississippi State

Depth at DL

6th #210: RB Chris Rodriguez, Kentucky

6th #219: WR/TE Elijah Higgins, Stanford

I really like this kid late, as a sleeper at TE or at least a big possession WR.

7th #243: S Anthony Johnson Jr., Iowa State

7th #246: DE/Edge Yaya Diaby, Louisville

7th #255: LB Shaka Hayward, Duke

I'll throw my hat in the ring. 

1st round: We get the brother BJ Ojulari (edge) 

Yes WR is position of need but the big four WRs put on a clinic at the combine, Johnston, Addison, Smith and Flowers are all going to be long gone by 25 and there is way to much defense talent to pass up on a round 2 WR. 

Ojulari starts in the rotation and brings another pass rusher into the lack of depth.

2nd round: Jack Campbell (MLB) 

The Giants haven't had a LB with his talent since Pierce. He's a tackling machine. 

3rd round: Tank Bigsby (this one for you Seph)

I assume the Giants do the idiotic thing and tag Jones which means Barkley is gone, just scroll up to see what Seph has to say on him. 

3rd round: AT Perry (WR) 

Ramses Baden 2.0 but hopefully lightning strikes this time.

4th: Olusegun Oluwatami (C/G)

Big boy on the IOL would push a day one starter at center. 

5th: Mekhi Blackmon (DB) 

My darkhorse and a guy who could start day one in the secondary.

6th: Stetson Bennett (QB) 

6th: Javion Cohen (G)

7th: Matt Landers  (WR)

7th: David Allen (TE) 

7th: Daniel Scott (DB) 

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Justin-Shorter-WR-Florida

hey Seph... this kid is from my town...   coming out of highschool he was considered one of the top WRs in the country, after two years of not getting passes thrown to him at Penn State he transferred to Florida.    Hook this kid up with either a 7th round or pick him up on the free agent market.   6'4" 230lb with a gigantic wingspan who is going to bring in any ball thrown near him

6 minutes ago, GorillaNJ said:

hey Seph... this kid is from my town...   coming out of highschool he was considered one of the top WRs in the country, after two years of not getting passes thrown to him at Penn State he transferred to Florida.    Hook this kid up with either a 7th round or pick him up on the free agent market.   6'4" 230lb with a gigantic wingspan who is going to bring in any ball thrown near him

Im not really into the Shorter receivers. 

12 minutes ago, GorillaNJ said:

Sounds good to me. We have five picks in rounds 6-7 that it can't hurt to take a WR late like this.

• 4 weeks later...

Final mocks.

What I WANT to happen, not what I expect Schoen to do

1: WR Jordan Addison, USC

2: C Joe Tippmann, Wisconsin

3: CB/S Tyrique Stevenson, Miami

4: DE/DL/OLB: Colby Wooden, Auburn

5 (160): LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

5 (172): S Anthony Johnson Jr., Iowa State OR QB Clayton Thune, Houston if he's still around

6-7: BPA

12 hours ago, mastershake said:

Final mocks.

What I WANT to happen, not what I expect Schoen to do

1: WR Jordan Addison, USC

2: C Joe Tippmann, Wisconsin

3: CB/S Tyrique Stevenson, Miami

4: DE/DL/OLB: Colby Wooden, Auburn

5 (160): LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

5 (172): S Anthony Johnson Jr., Iowa State OR QB Clayton Thune, Houston if he's still around

6-7: BPA

It's funny that Addison is DeVonta Smith 2.0  who we would of drafted if Getty didn't tip his hand weeks before the draft lol