SportsWrath

Seph Fixes the Giants, 2023 Edition, Part Three: Is There a Draft in Here?

Sephiroth

12 hours ago, mastershake said:

Final mocks.

What I WANT to happen, not what I expect Schoen to do

1: WR Jordan Addison, USC

2: C Joe Tippmann, Wisconsin

3: CB/S Tyrique Stevenson, Miami

4: DE/DL/OLB: Colby Wooden, Auburn

5 (160): LB Dorian Williams, Tulane

5 (172): S Anthony Johnson Jr., Iowa State OR QB Clayton Thune, Houston if he's still around

6-7: BPA

If he’s available, Quentin Johnston is the guy I want… wouldn’t mind trading up a few slots to get him given all those late round picks we have.   

This year's draft is void of that big play making WR initially IMO.

Sure there's always late round picks who become big players but I mean the first round WRs vs last few years is vastly lacking.

If the Giants do go WR I hope they do the extra homework.

1 hour ago, Nas said:

If he’s available, Quentin Johnston is the guy I want… wouldn’t mind trading up a few slots to get him given all those late round picks we have.   

Getting the #1 WR on many boards would help. 

Would be nice if a guy like Hyatt was grabbed in round 2.

Don't see Hyatt dropping out of the first...figure KC would snag him if he is there at 31.  Johnston would be my pick too if WR is the 1st rounder...but I really would love to trade down to top of first and grab our C or G.

Having Barkley and a running QB, I think having athletic and deep offensive linemen is worth the draft capital.

15 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Don't see Hyatt dropping out of the first...figure KC would snag him if he is there at 31.  Johnston would be my pick too if WR is the 1st rounder...but I really would love to trade down to top of first and grab our C or G.

Having Barkley and a running QB, I think having athletic and deep offensive linemen is worth the draft capital.

Wouldn’t mind that move at all.   But I think having a #1 WR will help both Barkley and DJ a bit more.   We can target a center or guard in the 2nd or third.    

On 4/9/2023 at 10:20 PM, Nas said:

He's good too. Really I'd take Johnson, Hyatt, Flowers, or Downs at that spot.

I'd also be fine with OL or CB at that spot.

16 hours ago, gmenroc said:

The WR class is so weird.

You have Smith and Johnston who are the top two guys, then after that maybe Flowers has a first-ish round grade? 

At #25 if Johnston and Smith are gone then I'd like the Giants to look elsewhere but I'd trust a WR pick from Schoen.

It seems the Giants are going with a roster of WR talent instead of forcing a true "X" WR.

11 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

The WR class is so weird.

You have Smith and Johnston who are the top two guys, then after that maybe Flowers has a first-ish round grade? 

At #25 if Johnston and Smith are gone then I'd like the Giants to look elsewhere but I'd trust a WR pick from Schoen.

It seems the Giants are going with a roster of WR talent instead of forcing a true "X" WR.

All of these top 5-6 WR's all seem more like WR #2's at this point, and not WR #1's. I'm sure a few WR from the entire class overall may emerge, but who knows.

I can see Johnson for instance being another Corey Davis, Mike Williams, Courtland Sutton type player. Decent WR who can play in the NFL, but not going to blow you away or anything.

Having said that, if we get a guy who can consistently put up 65-70 catches per year and 900 yards on average, I'd take it at #25. We haven't had that type of guy in years.

42 minutes ago, The P said:

Addison and Flowers are my favorite receivers for the giants. 

starting to lean more towards cornerback though.  

I fully believe the Giants go defense in round 1 and 2.

1) CB/Edge 

2) LB (Campbell plz) or whatever above wasn't picked.  

Address WR/RB and IOL with the rest of the draft.

1 hour ago, The P said:

Addison and Flowers are my favorite receivers for the giants. 

starting to lean more towards cornerback though.  

If I had to guess, I'd put my money on Schoen drafting a CB, even though I personally prioritize OL or WR at #25.

I'd be fine with a guy like Deonte Banks, Kelee Ringo, or even DJ Turner (Kiper has him mocked to us) or Cam Smith.

32 minutes ago, mastershake said:

If I had to guess, I'd put my money on Schoen drafting a CB, even though I personally prioritize OL or WR at #25.

I'd be fine with a guy like Deonte Banks, Kelee Ringo, or even DJ Turner (Kiper has him mocked to us) or Cam Smith.

I have read online that the wide receivers in the draft are nothing to call home about. A corner sounds about right. Any running backs available then or 2nd round?

5 minutes ago, jranieli said:

I have read online that the wide receivers in the draft are nothing to call home about. A corner sounds about right. Any running backs available then or 2nd round?

and just today a wide receiver was the 10th best player in the draft according to another thing online. 

4 hours ago, mastershake said:

I really want OL.   But it all depends on how things fall in place and who trades up and what players fall… this time of year is nerve-wracking.

If I had to guess at Schoen's mindset, he's probably content to go into the season with Ezeudo at LG, and have Bredeson and Hassehauer compete for C, plus probably thinks he has capable depth with Peart, Davis, and Tyre Phillips. Plus Markus McKethan as well. Who knows about Shane Lemiuex too.

I bet he doesn't address OL until round 4 or later, and only for depth.

8 hours ago, mastershake said:

If I had to guess at Schoen's mindset, he's probably content to go into the season with Ezeudo at LG, and have Bredeson and Hassehauer compete for C, plus probably thinks he has capable depth with Peart, Davis, and Tyre Phillips. Plus Markus McKethan as well. Who knows about Shane Lemiuex too.

I bet he doesn't address OL until round 4 or later, and only for depth.

I think that only hedges against needing to draft a certain position in a certain round...but I still think it would be a big mistake not to get at least 1 IOL in the first 3 rds.

3 hours ago, gmenroc said:

I think that only hedges against needing to draft a certain position in a certain round...but I still think it would be a big mistake not to get at least 1 IOL in the first 3 rds.

I agree. I'm with you on the need to prioritize OL. I'm just trying to guess Schoen's mentality here, and if I had to guess, I bet he's not as high on OL as some of us on this board, and other NYG fans in general. In his mindset, he's drafted what he thinks is a capable LG prospect (Ezeudu), he drafted another one last year (McKethan), plus Evan Neal for RT of course. Then he also brought in Glowinski. That's four guys last offseason alone, let alone adding a few in between.

I think he's looking at the OL after bringing in Hassenhaur + last year's draft and probably thinks he already has 8-9 capable OL lineman on the roster already, or at least as prospects with potential:

Thomas,

Ezeudu,

Bredeson,

Hassenhaur,

Glowinski,

Neal,

Wyatt Davis,

Marcus McKethan,

Tyre Phillips,

Matt Peart.

Personally, I think this is faulty reasoning. Perhaps, Ezeudu can develop in time, but I wouldn't go into the season relying on him, Bredeson, or Hassenhaur as starters. It would be one thing if Neal and Glowinski could be relied on to be solid starting lineman, but Glowinski is only average, and Neal is not there yet. To go into the season with two additional question marks on the OL at the LG and C position to me is a mistake.

There's some decent depth at IOL in round two and three. 

If we manage to trade back and pick up an extra second/fourth type of thing then they could end up with the best center or a good guard. 

And still end up with a starting DB or WR or LB.

Christ to think Daboll and co along with Jones, Bakery, Thomas and Dex dragged this team to the playoffs. 

12 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

There's some decent depth at IOL in round two and three. 

If we manage to trade back and pick up an extra second/fourth type of thing then they could end up with the best center or a good guard. 

And still end up with a starting DB or WR or LB.

Christ to think Daboll and co along with Jones, Bakery, Thomas and Dex dragged this team to the playoffs. 

I really like the DL depth in this draft too. There will be some useful talent available in the 2nd and early 3rd. 

Unfortunately I'd put WR, DB, interior OL, and DL depth, as pretty closely ranked needs.... they don't all need to be stars, just competent.... we can get three in rounds 1-3, not all four. 

You could draft anything defense in the 1st round and I'd be fine. Even EDGE or DT/DL. Besides Kayvon and Ojulari, there's not much, and you can never have too many pass rushers. Would be cool if we put BJ Ojulari on this same team.

DT/DL might make sense too, with Williams a FA next year, and Dexter not yet signing an extension.

Personally I'd prefer OL, but I don't think Shoen goes this route.