SportsWrath

Giants trade for Isaiah Simmons

Herc

51 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Ain't Schoen a fucking beauty? 

He's a real fucking beauty.

Even if he's average it's still better than any 7th round guy you could draft. 

Nice to have a GM who is proactive in trying to build a competitive team. 

Yep, would rather take a shot on first round pedigree than a shot on a guy who falls to the 7th round 

I also trust Wink to put him in position to succeed moreso than the Arizona coaching staff.

Even if he is some mix of Landon Collins and Jaylon Smith (the LB from the Cowboys)...there is certainly some usage there from an off ball backer.

3 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Given a quick look this appears to be English, but upon closer examination I find it pretty sus. 

3 hours ago, jranieli said:

VG is speaking in tongues. 

Yeah fucking phone.  

3 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

He was highly praised coming out of college, I think a number of mocks had the Giants taking him over any LT (Thomas) in 2020.

A "jack of all trades" who could do it all. Play saftey, play LB, rush the passer.

The problem was when he got to the NFL the Cards realized he didn't know a thing about playing a single position well enough and struggled to get him in the right spot.

I assume Wink has a plan and for a 7th round pick I'm willing to see if that plan works.

I remember he was the focal point of the Clemson defense and lots of people hoped we would draft him.  Definitely worth a 7th to see if Wink can get him to figure it out, can't put too much blame on guys failing with the Cards., 

20 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

Yeah fucking phone.  

I remember he was the focal point of the Clemson defense and lots of people hoped we would draft him.  Definitely worth a 7th to see if Wink can get him to figure it out, can't put too much blame on guys failing with the Cards., 

I was in the pro-Simmons camp (although I wanted a tackle far more). 

I think Simmons is one of those guys who can’t be expected to play a traditional football role. His measurables aren’t far off some of the league’s freaks, but the Cardinals had him playing DB. 

5 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

I was in the pro-Simmons camp (although I wanted a tackle far more). 

I think Simmons is one of those guys who can’t be expected to play a traditional football role. His measurables aren’t far off some of the league’s freaks, but the Cardinals had him playing DB. 

Sounds like a defensive Toney in a way, at least what we hoped Toney could be. 

Never a consistent move the chains guy, but a few big plays a game. 

Also...just read that after season, if Simmons signs a multi year deal elsewhere, Giants will get a compensatory pick in return making the experiment free.  If he does well for us and he is extended, even better.

Even lower risk than previously thought

It's totally worth a 7th to take a chance here. But the whole " he was used wrong" reminds me a bit of Jaylen Smith. Great athlete, Dallas used him wrong, comes to the Giants, great athlete, can't read gaps. Simmons has been in the league 3 years and as a first, should have improved the Cards D.  But it hasn't happened.

He's not going to take snaps off Mc Fadden or Beavers, he'll be situational. What's to like here is the Giants keep building some serious depth.

3 hours ago, boohyah said:

It's totally worth a 7th to take a chance here. But the whole " he was used wrong" reminds me a bit of Jaylen Smith. Great athlete, Dallas used him wrong, comes to the Giants, great athlete, can't read gaps. Simmons has been in the league 3 years and as a first, should have improved the Cards D.  But it hasn't happened.

He's not going to take snaps off Mc Fadden or Beavers, he'll be situational. What's to like here is the Giants keep building some serious depth.

Keep in mind the Cardinals have been just a dumpster fire organization outside of that one fluke playoff run.

Their coaching staff wasn't known for bringing the best out of the players they had.  

Seemed like Kingsberry had one foot out the door the entire time. 

From what I read, the Cards have been fucking shit up with their players for a while now. It wasnt just Simmons - Cards fucked up Haason Reddick by making him play out of position where he farted around and when he moved back to DE he had a Pro Bowl calibre year. This Zaven Collins dude is another victim of a fish being judged by its tree climbing skills. Gannon doesnt look like a very smart coach and that entire organisation in a dumpster fire and are in full blown re-build mode. Wink am sure will use Simmons's athleticism a lot more wisely. I for one believe this was an absolute steal for us.

10 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Keep in mind the Cardinals have been just a dumpster fire organization outside of that one fluke playoff run.

Their coaching staff wasn't known for bringing the best out of the players they had.  

Seemed like Kingsberry had one foot out the door the entire time. 

We can't be sure they didn't get the best out of him. The problems with Simmons were brought up at the draft. Where do you play him?. 

Anyway, it's a good move for us because of the low risk and like I said, he's probably situationally. I doubt he'll be up for any big multi year deals at the end of this. But the Eagles are doing this for years and it pays off.

12 hours ago, Nas said:

He may just turn to br a pleasant surprise after all… like that other Isiah on the other side of the ball.

has he put on some weight since that college tape?

I doubt he put on weight since they had him playing defensive back last year.

11 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

The biggest complaint I see from cards fans is he didn’t try hard.  Was seen slacking on the field.  

Yeah, I read that too...as well as his not wanting to play LB and kinda forcing a position change.

He is a hybrid, there is no doubt.  When your 5th year doesn't get picked up and you get traded to a team with a good DC...you gotta think he's gonna put his best out there, no?  Cause it's kinda vet min/career backup/ST guy if you fail here.

I think with any players cut this time of year...there are reasons teams send them off..so there is risk.  But I like that he has a chance to rewrite his history and we have a chance to take advantage of a hell of an athlete with a DC who knows where to plug him in

23 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Yeah, I read that too...as well as his not wanting to play LB and kinda forcing a position change.

He is a hybrid, there is no doubt.  When your 5th year doesn't get picked up and you get traded to a team with a good DC...you gotta think he's gonna put his best out there, no?  Cause it's kinda vet min/career backup/ST guy if you fail here.

I think with any players cut this time of year...there are reasons teams send them off..so there is risk.  But I like that he has a chance to rewrite his history and we have a chance to take advantage of a hell of an athlete with a DC who knows where to plug him in

Well said - thats exactly what he is. A guy who can be used right for his freakish ability. JPP was a freak too until he went and became a ninja turtle but was effective even afterwards when used right.

I'd love if he ended up being a productive member of the defense, but let's not forget a few short years ago we were all raving about how Jerry Reese managed to land #4 overall pick LB Keith Rivers in free agency.  He's terrible at reading defenses and again, has no real position. 

Let's see what we've got but there's a reason the Cards only asked for a 7th for him. 

7 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I'd love if he ended up being a productive member of the defense, but let's not forget a few short years ago we were all raving about how Jerry Reese managed to land #4 overall pick LB Keith Rivers in free agency.  He's terrible at reading defenses and again, has no real position. 

Let's see what we've got but there's a reason the Cards only asked for a 7th for him. 

I think the Cards to a 7th cause everyone, including the Giants, knew he was gonna be released outright.  Giants just paid a 7th so as not to compete with other teams when he was eventually let go