SportsWrath

Giants trade for Isaiah Simmons

Herc

I was thinking we really need another LB besides Bobby Okereke. Good low risk option to bring in Simmons, and he can play on passing downs as well, and in general to spell Okereke once in a while.

I realize McFadden is also here, but he's mediocre. Beavers is also unproven.

48 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I was thinking we really need another LB besides Bobby Okereke. Good low risk option to bring in Simmons, and he can play on passing downs as well, and in general to spell Okereke once in a while.

I realize McFadden is also here, but he's mediocre. Beavers is also unproven.

let’s see how he performs under a more aggressive style defense. But the simple fact that we got him for a 7th rounder is actually amazing. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

He was gonna get cut most likely.  

I wonder how he will be used, he didn’t like being used as a linebacker and asked Cards to move him to safety last season which I believe they did.  

guess this answers that:

Art Stapleton
@art_stapleton
Hearing Giants believe Simmons played out of position at safety with the Cardinals, and they think he can thrive at ILB in Wink's system and be a weapon in creative setting that plays to his strengths. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

guess this answers that:

Art Stapleton
@art_stapleton
Hearing Giants believe Simmons played out of position at safety with the Cardinals, and they think he can thrive at ILB in Wink's system and be a weapon in creative setting that plays to his strengths. 

Fine by me. He's not a two deep style safety. He's a down player, at best playing in the front 7 or 6.

41 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

let’s see how he performs under a more aggressive style defense. But the simple fact that we got him for a 7th rounder is actually amazing. 

7th round pick is basically for free so long as they are going to have him on the roster this year.   

Okereke is a tacking machine who always seems to be in the right place, is there anything better to pair with that than a complete athlete to get creative with? 

1 hour ago, Virginia Giant said:

Was he the got some people were absolutely nuts for a few years ago in the fact I draft?  

Given a quick look this appears to be English, but upon closer examination I find it pretty sus. 

1 hour ago, Virginia Giant said:

Was he the got some people were absolutely nuts for a few years ago in the fact I draft?  

He was highly praised coming out of college, I think a number of mocks had the Giants taking him over any LT (Thomas) in 2020.

A "jack of all trades" who could do it all. Play saftey, play LB, rush the passer.

The problem was when he got to the NFL the Cards realized he didn't know a thing about playing a single position well enough and struggled to get him in the right spot.

I assume Wink has a plan and for a 7th round pick I'm willing to see if that plan works.

Can't complain for a 7th...was a combine freak...very athletic.  Gotta believe he is best in space and clearly has range.  A bit surprised to hear him linked to the inside as opposed to outside.  Interested to see him in blitz packages.

Don't see him holding the edge...so maybe that's the benefit to being inside.  I do like him in coverage of TEs and RBs.

Either way, as mentioned...a very low risk move and gives Wink something to get creative with.  

9 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I remember when he was in the draft I said that "if he has four positions, then he doesn't have one."  I think that's mostly still true. 

Gifted athlete but he's not very good. 

He's good when he's in the box, and in coverage only when covering TE's or RB's. That's it. He's not a MLB and he's not a two deep safety.