SportsWrath

Giants finalizing 4 year Jones deal AND tagging Saquon

Mr. P

https://www.bigblueview.com/2023/3/7/23627599/daniel-jones-new-york-giants-free-agency-franchise-tag-2023-saquon-barkley

Getting Jones to sign on the dotted line and not needing to use the franchise tag is a boost to the Giants’ cap situation.

Every dollar of the $32.416 million tag would have counted against the team’s 2023 salary cap. That is one of the major reasons why the team did not want to have to use it. Before applying the the tag to Jones the Giants had $46.873 million in cap space per Over The Cap. That number would have been reduced to $14.457 million.

The Giants will get additional cap space when they release wide receiver Kenny Golladay, something they have already announced will happen when the league year opens on March 15.

The team has not said whether Golladay will be a pre-June 1 cut (saving $6.7 million against the cap that would be available immediately) or a post-June 1 cut (saving $13.5 million that would not be available until June).

The Giants could get additional cap relief by extending the contract of defensive lineman Leonard Williams, who carries a $32.26 million cap hit, which is 14 percent of the team’s $224.8 million cap.

Still, the cap savings from signing Jones will allow the Giants to be more aggressive in free agency. Exactly what those cap savings will be won’t be known until the exact breakdown of the contract is revealed.

I am not going to pretend to know much about how the cap works...   but what I can say, a team can not consistently win without a quality QB.    We just watched this team make a playoff run, with this QB and coaching staff...  if we are all getting together for post parade beers together downtown within the next 4 years it will be well worth it.

4 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Like what? We still don't have a competent OL, and we currently have one healthy WR on the team who's probably better as a WR #3, not to mention no linebackers (like under Gettleman)

Maybe you should apply to be the next GM Mastershake. ?

I have some confidence in our FO , you clearly do not

3 minutes ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

Maybe you should apply to be the next GM Mastershake. ?

I have some confidence in our FO , you clearly do not

Based on what?

We currently have no OL (outside Thomas), no LBs, no starting #2 CB, no starting FS, one health WR, and we just blew our entire offseason cap space on DJ and Barkley.

Sounds like a familiar scenario under Gettleman.

I'm once again going to make a reckless prediction. Shoen's going to be done within three years

12 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Based on what?

We currently have no OL (outside Thomas), no LBs, no starting #2 CB, no starting FS, one health WR, and we just blew our entire offseason cap space on DJ and Barkley.

I'm once again going to make a reckless prediction. Shoen's going to be done within three years

DJ’s first year cap hit will be around 19M ( not the 32.4 M franchise tag ) therefore the FO has room and flexibility in FA to bring in some of the players we need

1 hour ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

DJ’s first year cap hit will be around 19M ( not the 32.4 M franchise tag ) therefore the FO has room and flexibility in FA to bring in some of the players we need

Hmmm.... interesting. I wasn't aware of the $19M until now.

What do the rest of the years look like in terms of cap hits?

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

So in other words, trust the team to the QB + Barkley, no offensive line, and no defense? The Gettleman formula?

I’m not sure we have “no offensive line”…. I think the rookie right tackle gets better and we can add a solid piece in free agency.

The front office decided DJ is part of the rebuild.   Although I was surprised by the amount of his contract given the incentives, the man gave us a lot to cheer for.

Now get SB signed long term and let’s move on.

Honestly I think it's a pretty good contract. 40 mil/year will look pretty sweet in the final two years of the deal, and if Jones sucks we can get out after 2 years. If he plays like a top-5 QB he gets paid top-5 QB money in incentives. Looks like everyone has something to be happy about.

A 19 million cap hit this year also makes me think Schoen has either a big FA signing lined up or a big trade. Gonna be an interesting few weeks.

2024 cap could be $35million or more larger than this year due to the upcoming Amazon deal.

Jones cap hit this season helps us sign some guys this season and then next year address the extensions.

Let's be clear here, the team still needs to be built through the draft.

So it is what it is.  If he earns it, it is a fair deal, if he doesn't, it is a bad deal.  Looks like a bad deal based on the body of work so far, a lot is riding on the real Daniel Jones being the one in a couple games last year and not the one that failed to earn a 5th year option.  

Smh that’s ridiculous. Paying this guy like he is the second coming of Peyton Manning. With huge incentives as well? Like 40 million isn’t incentive enough? 

Aside from his ability to run, nothing about this guy stands out. Middle of the pack at best. 

And why? Cause he didn’t have 25 fumbles and 22 interceptions THIS year. I don’t get why any of you guys even want him, let alone are ok with paying him even 30 million let alone 40. 

I can count on one hand in 4 years how many actual good games he’s played. The guy wasn’t even competitive in our own division. Dallas and Philly fans are laughing their asses off right now. And I don’t blame them. 

8 hours ago, mastershake said:

I'm coming around to the deal, given the relatively light cap hit this year, which will enable the Giants to signs free agents in addition to DJ and Barkley.

Yeah it’s fine when you look at cap hit %.  Even next year if it’s still around 60 (which it won’t end up being when that league year starts) it’s like 23% of the cap which is not ideal but is around watson/dak/Stafford/Murray.  These contracts always get raised eyebrows until the next one.  He’ll be out of the top 10 salaries in a year 

46 minutes ago, Herc said:

Yeah it’s fine when you look at cap hit %.  Even next year if it’s still around 60 (which it won’t end up being when that league year starts) it’s like 25% of the cap which isn’t unheard of.  He’ll be out of the top 10 salaries in a year 

I thought the incentives were on top of his 160 million? From what I understand it very much will be 60 million next year. 

Im not sure I even agree with franchising Barkley. He’s one hit away from retirement. Sure it’s nice to have him, but at what cost? It’s a risk. 

Going to be interesting to see the contract details when released.

How much is the signing bonus vs guaranteed money.

A cap hit of only 19 million this year makes me wonder if he took next to no base salary this year and it's all the signing bonus. 

I.e. that 82 fully guaranteed might be 22 million plus 60 million signing bonus which would be spread out over the 4 years, so say 15 per year. 

Jones in 2023 has a base salary of 4 million plus the 15 total of 19 million cap hit. 

Next year would have a base salary of 18 plus the 15 cap hit of 33 million. 

The last two years would only carry the signing bonus guaranteed. 

Maybe Schoen is a wizard afterall. 

16 hours ago, mastershake said:

Based on what?

I'm not sure this is a fair assessment when Shoen went into last season something like 30 million over the cap.  On the free agent market, I thought he honestly found a lot more diamonds in the rough then I expected (Hodgins, James, Moreau, etc).  It'll be interesting to see what Shoen does now that he's got actual money to spend;  let's hope he doesn't waste it on the Leonard Williamses and Blake Martinezes of the league like the last guy. 

10 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

So it is what it is.  If he earns it, it is a fair deal, if he doesn't, it is a bad deal.  Looks like a bad deal based on the body of work so far, a lot is riding on the real Daniel Jones being the one in a couple games last year and not the one that failed to earn a 5th year option.  

3 hours ago, JayD said:

Smh that’s ridiculous. Paying this guy like he is the second coming of Peyton Manning. With huge incentives as well? Like 40 million isn’t incentive enough? 

Aside from his ability to run, nothing about this guy stands out. Middle of the pack at best. 

And why? Cause he didn’t have 25 fumbles and 22 interceptions THIS year. I don’t get why any of you guys even want him, let alone are ok with paying him even 30 million let alone 40. 

I can count on one hand in 4 years how many actual good games he’s played. The guy wasn’t even competitive in our own division. Dallas and Philly fans are laughing their asses off right now. And I don’t blame them. 

The fact that there's a two-year out is encouraging to me;  if he sucks this year we can draft a developmental guy next year and still have Jones while the young guy learns.  It's weird to say in year five though, but Jones has never had NFL-caliber receivers to throw to... but he's done everything else you'd want a young QB to do. 

Good/selfless leader

Hard worker

Makes other guys around him better (this WR corps and 4/5 of the o-line is awful)

Reads/progressions have improved

Cut down on turnovers

Came up big in some big spots and made plays out of nothing (especially with his feet)

Showed a good enough arm on out patterns and deep throws

He deserves a shot with a true #1 WR and a decent line.  If he can't cut it then, we'll cut bait, but for now I think it's good to see what we've got in him. 

12 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I'm not sure this is a fair assessment when Shoen went into last season something like 30 million over the cap.  On the free agent market, I thought he honestly found a lot more diamonds in the rough then I expected (Hodgins, James, Moreau, etc).  It'll be interesting to see what Shoen does now that he's got actual money to spend;  let's hope he doesn't waste it on the Leonard Williamses and Blake Martinezes of the league like the last guy. 

The fact that there's a two-year out is encouraging to me;  if he sucks this year we can draft a developmental guy next year and still have Jones while the young guy learns.  It's weird to say in year five though, but Jones has never had NFL-caliber receivers to throw to... but he's done everything else you'd want a young QB to do. 

Good/selfless leader

Hard worker

Makes other guys around him better (this WR corps and 4/5 of the o-line is awful)

Reads/progressions have improved

Cut down on turnovers

Came up big in some big spots and made plays out of nothing (especially with his feet)

Showed a good enough arm on out patterns and deep throws

He deserves a shot with a true #1 WR and a decent line.  If he can't cut it then, we'll cut bait, but for now I think it's good to see what we've got in him. 

All good.

Based on what I've heard about the cap structure of the deal, I'm good with the DJ contract, at least for now. It seems to enable to the Giants to be active in Free Agency, to fill some of the gaps at least.

I had a coming to Jesus moment with Schoen thanks to the revelation about the 2023 cap number, lol.

11 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

You have to factor in the guy had no one to throw to....