SportsWrath

2023 Off-season signings

Mr. P

What did you expect? - Jones will say Im cool with 30 so that Schoen can say 25 mill?? Obviously not! Its like a Real Estate deal - you always quote high and meet somewhere in the middle. Jones might be willing to sign a contract at the Franchise Tag annual number when it finally comes down to it. Backload a little for Jones and sign Barkley as well. These are just now getting into the zone in Daboll and Kafka's system - first we have different OCs and Coaches every fucking year. And now that we have the Coaches in place, if we lose the top 2 players who contributed then again we are back to square one.

On 2/21/2023 at 2:45 PM, Herc said:

Surprised they aren’t interested in tagging Barkley.  I think going year to year with a rb after rookie contract is the way to go, especially if he’s better than the tag number.  They must either really not believe in paying running backs at all or anticipate using it on Jones 

If they pay Jones big and franchise Barkley, we will do fuck all in free agency. No extensions. This is all based on how much Jones gets now. 

Wagner would be an massive upgrade for the highschool level LB core we have.

Granted Beavers and McFadden were showing SOME potential before the injuries.

I'd just worry Wagner would either 1) Want to go to a contender to win now or 2) Go get a big old fucking fat stack of cash before he retires.

10 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I'd just worry Wagner would either 1) Want to go to a contender to win now or 2) Go get a big old fucking fat stack of cash before he retires

I agree with both your points. I think we lack a certain type of leadership on defense. Guess I’m a bit spoil from our past of having Strahan, Pierce, Tuck to bring the best out of talented guys like JPP, Osi, etc. 

15 minutes ago, TrashTalker92 said:

I agree with both your points. I think we lack a certain type of leadership on defense. Guess I’m a bit spoil from our past of having Strahan, Pierce, Tuck to bring the best out of talented guys like JPP, Osi, etc. 

Yep.

We really do lack talent at key areas of this team and almost across whole position groups.

We vastly overachieved last year with the roster we had.

It's why letting Jones walk (if the 45 million rumours are true) to build the rest of the team may be the best option, or hitting him with the tag and trading away someone like Williams.

18 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

What did you expect? - Jones will say Im cool with 30 so that Schoen can say 25 mill?? Obviously not! Its like a Real Estate deal - you always quote high and meet somewhere in the middle. Jones might be willing to sign a contract at the Franchise Tag annual number when it finally comes down to it. Backload a little for Jones and sign Barkley as well. These are just now getting into the zone in Daboll and Kafka's system - first we have different OCs and Coaches every fucking year. And now that we have the Coaches in place, if we lose the top 2 players who contributed then again we are back to square one.

Listen to this man you knuckleheads.

10 hours ago, boohyah said:

If they pay Jones big and franchise Barkley, we will do fuck all in free agency. No extensions. This is all based on how much Jones gets now. 

It doesn’t matter.  We probably need another year to free up more cap anyway.   At least keep the season exciting with Jones and Barkley.

4 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Wagner would be an massive upgrade for the highschool level LB core we have.

Granted Beavers and McFadden were showing SOME potential before the injuries.

I'd just worry Wagner would either 1) Want to go to a contender to win now or 2) Go get a big old fucking fat stack of cash before he retires.

We are a contender now.  

13 hours ago, Nas said:

It doesn’t matter.  We probably need another year to free up more cap anyway.   At least keep the season exciting with Jones and Barkley.

It does matter. You don't fix this franchise for one season. What they do this off-season is key going forward. Next year the cap goes up anyway so you can extend guys. After Saquon and Jones there are still major holes here. 

13 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

Everything that Ive seen about DJ so far kept telling repeatedly there was no way he would have actually said that or demanded that......now finally it comes out.

image.thumb.jpeg.240894733a40633c6efedd5963ac18e1.jpeg

And now there's 45 million more reports today Jones personal asked for 45 million for all sorts of sources. 

Who knows, this offseason can't end soon enough lol 

3 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Carr is asking for 35 million.

Carr who has been a much better QB and for more than a year, is asking for 10 million less.

Jones and his team are fucking idiots and I hope Schoen and co know what the fuck they are doing.

For that matter - Carr didnt do shit with Adams and Jacobs. Carr has failed for 8 straight years. Once new deals are done with Burrow, Hurts, Herbert, Jackson etc - DJ wont even be in the top 15. I dont care if he asked for 45 - i go with my previous post - he has to start high because Schoen seems like a mean negotiator - i realised that when he got Hodgins back at a vet minimum. Either way - looks like he is getting the tag and Barkley the contract/pr hits FA -and there is already talks of him going to the Bills. And if the salary cap goes up again next year - maybe a deal will materialize.

But on that note - Jones also should realise he doesnt want ANOTHER coach and OC to face what he has over the last 4 years either.

20 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

For that matter - Carr didnt do shit with Adams and Jacobs. Carr has failed for 8 straight years. Once new deals are done with Burrow, Hurts, Herbert, Jackson etc - DJ wont even be in the top 15. I dont care if he asked for 45 - i go with my previous post - he has to start high because Schoen seems like a mean negotiator - i realised that when he got Hodgins back at a vet minimum. Either way - looks like he is getting the tag and Barkley the contract/pr hits FA -and there is already talks of him going to the Bills. And if the salary cap goes up again next year - maybe a deal will materialize.

But on that note - Jones also should realise he doesnt want ANOTHER coach and OC to face what he has over the last 4 years either.

Yeah I don't get the Carr love, never have. He's an ok-to-good QB that's had decent rosters but has never won anything. A poor man's Kirk Cousins.

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

Yeah I don't get the Carr love, never have. He's an ok-to-good QB that's had decent rosters but has never won anything. A poor man's Kirk Cousins.

I don't know he has almost every Raider passing record and NFL records to boot.

He's never had a good team around him.

Not a single defense he's ever had was rated higher then the 20th spot.

He's a better QB then what the Raiders think of him and they franchise is just going to be back to the same old Raiders without him. 

On 2/26/2023 at 1:32 AM, Iceman_NYG said:

Once again... I'm totally on board with this.    I don't think DJ will get the 45 but if you know ANYTHING about negotiations, starting from where you think is the right number will definitely yield you less.     

The most sensible take on DJ I've seen is to franchise him for at least one year, possible two if you can, OR sign the equivalent contract. He may be able to land a contract north of $35M per year, so a franchise tag would help prevent him from going elsewhere for that or more (or provide insurance if he leaves in the form of draft picks), and keep him here for a reasonable price:

Franchise 2023 tag: = ~$32M

Franchise 2024 tag = ~$39M

So it would essentially be a 2 year $71M deal. Not too bad I think.

Ideally, I'd like to see 3 years $100M, maybe incentives laden, with a lower cap number in 2023 if possible, but if that doesn't work, the Franchise tag route seems to make sense.

I think he def gets tagged at this point...esp if the 45m rumors are true.

And if the 45m rumors are true, it'd be interesting to know which aide leaked that...Giants or DJ.  If Giants, I'd not be thrilled if I'm DJ.  Guessing it has to do with DJ changing agents.

He's worth signing long term, but he's not worth 40m per.  DJ also knows the Giants aren't in position to get anyone else...so he either plays a season inder the tag, risking injury or subpar performance, or he signs what the Giants offer.

I'd go up to 5 years, 175m with 100m guaranteed.  Throw in an injury clause where some of that 100m is recouped if he's out for more than say 4 games a season.  And I'd front load as much as possible on the contract side.

So Joe Schoen spoke with the media today and here are some nuggets:
-Progress in talks with Daniel. Stated again he will be the QB in 2023 and franchise tag is last resort, but will apply it if needed.
-Numbers got a little closer with Saquon but both sides still need to "bridge the gap." Appeared Schoen and Daboll have a Plan B if Barkley draws a line in the sand with a certain number. Plan B means moving on IMO.
-Jones switching agencies was Daniel's call, Schoen has no idea why. Schoen said he never discussed numbers with CAA- Jones' first agents.
-Reached out to Dexter Lawrence's agent to talk about extension.
-Reached out to Leo Williams agent most likely to restructure. Appeared team wants Leo back and doesn't want to break up 99/97
-Talked with Julian Love's agent this week. Schoen said they "love" Love but will see where numbers take them. I don't expect Love back.
-Emphasized that team must build through the draft.
-Talked about they're not concerned about wide receivers size, "If they can separate, we'll find a way to utilize them in the offense."

https://twitter.com/giantinsider/status/1630665085428310020?s=46&t=bSLf3vqvFSiyT4tl7w02og