SportsWrath

2023 Off-season signings

Mr. P

I just don't see how we can pay anything near this.  Franchise him, let him prove his $50 million a year salary.  If he does, we pay it, if not, we look for a QB in next year's draft.  In the mean time we try to build draft capital and build a young core group that will mature in a couple years and compete for a SB with a  QB on a rookie contract.  I just can't see limiting teams ability to find other pieces by resetting the QB market with a guy that will go into next year with almost as much of a question mark as he did this year.  

55 minutes ago, The P said:

48 FUCKING MILLION?!?

Patrick Mahomes makes 45 million.

The best QB in the NFL.

And Jones is going to make more.

He has the Giants by the balls at this point.

This is either going to ruin this team or make it really hard to win.

Work on the veteran market is chugging along and, at least on the surface, the Giants’ negotiation with Daniel Jones seems to be the furthest one along. The team’s offer is at between $35 million and $39 million per year as of now, per sources, and that would at least indicate there’s a deal to be done here for the 25-year-old former first rounder.

Getting Jones done would free the Giants up to use the franchise tag on Saquon Barkley, so being able to finalize something ahead of Tuesday’s tag deadline would be significant.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/03/nfl-combine-quarterbacks-bryce-young-will-levis-cj-stroud-anthony-richardson-saturday-workouts

damn if he’s turning down 35-39 million a year. 

13 hours ago, boohyah said:

How does he have the Giants by the balls?

The Giants clearly want him back and not on the tag (which would of been used by now) 

The mid range QB market has always been an enigma. 

Jones is in the middle.of setting a new ceiling or atleast trying too. 

Tagging Jones is probably the worst case scenario. 

Jones plays well again then we probably have to pay him more than that was expected this offseason and that comes at a point when we will have to sign guys like Lawrence and Thomas as well. 

Jones doesn't play well then we paid over 30 million for a bridge QB, we the Giants could of just rode with Tyrod and used the cap elsewhere.

Either way the tag is the worst situation of setting the Giants up for success in the coming years.

And Jones and his team know it. 

Jones has Giants by balls because he is essentially a free agent and giants have shit options after overachieving in 2022.

Tagging him is good for Giants because it buys a year and gets Giants 2 1sts if he then signs elsewhere.  Sucks because 35 mil hit in 1 year is tough to swallow.  Tag is a risk for any player cause injury.

Jones is gonna get a long deal from someone...he has shown that much.  But it all comes down to money/guarantees.

Just now, gmenroc said:

Jones has Giants by balls because he is essentially a free agent and giants have shit options after overachieving in 2022.

Tagging him is good for Giants because it buys a year and gets Giants 2 1sts if he then signs elsewhere.  Sucks because 35 mil hit in 1 year is tough to swallow.  Tag is a risk for any player cause injury.

Jones is gonna get a long deal from someone...he has shown that much.  But it all comes down to money/guarantees.

No one would sign Jones away at 35 million a year when Carr and Garapolololo are both asking for less and have proven to be more consistently better players.

Tagging Jones does nothing but force us to have to lose core players next year and even this year since.its basically the end for Barkley. 

if Jones is refusing a long term contract worth $38 M per year for 4 years ....then fuck him  ( go with TT for a year and draft a QB )

If Jones agrees it then great ......then we can franchise tag #26 and still have some money left over.

Best thing for Jones to do would be to sign a 3 year deal for $30mil per, let the team build a roster around him to set him up for success for those three years and build on his '22 performance, let Burrow and Herbert reset the market and sign a mega-deal in 3 years with theoretically a few years of growth and proven success and a roster that can compete around him. 

Asking for 45-48 million right now says 2 things.  

1:  Fuck the Giants for declining the 5th year option and now having faith in me, pay up fuckers.  

2:  He has as many questions about himself as anyone else and wants his money now.  

Neither are great looks imo.  I understand starting way high is a negotiating tactic in an owners league rather than a players league like MLB.  But I'd take Carr on a 3 year deal and save 10 million a year while building a roster around the QB of the future when we find him in the draft next year. Even consider trading back in the first round to get some capital to move up.  Even with a playoff win this team is fully rebuilding and it needs to be done right.  Paying DJ > 40 million hamstrings the team if he is anything less that really good going forward, as in, that performance in the Vikings game would have to be his floor, not his ceiling.  

No one has anyone by the balls.    Remove the emotions out of it.    DJ has a realistic value and I happened to believe it's in the $35M range.    If another team signs him up for more, so be it.    There's value in staying home and Jones has to consider that.    He will have to be realistic about the team's many other holes.   And $35M isn't chump change either... 

Simply he doesn't have the Giants by the balls. The Giants don't have to bring him back at all. It's their checkbook.

Schoen has handled this whole thing about as well as anyone I've seen out there. He made it clear he wanted him back and that it's the plan. He also said he can't put the Giants in cap hell. So the guy right now who puts the Giants in cap hell is DJ. If the Giants commit to $45 million, then a pissed  Saquon gets franchised  and there's deifinitely no Love. Plus there's no LInebacker help and no DL help unless they let Saquon go,  areas the Giants want to address in free agency. 

I get Jones though, he's right to ask big. He would have been fine on the 5th year option money for this year and the Giants took that from him. So more power to him. But I said this in the season, he's is getting the raw end here. Carr and Garropolo are on the market, Lamar hasn't signed and it's possible the Packers move on from Rodgers. Texans and Colts are drafting qb's. He's not getting $45 million from anyone.

If I was Jones, I'd take the 38 million at whatever years and get attainable bonuses added in. The goodwill he'll earn from being a team player will not be forgotten if the Giants even have mediocre success and he'll be the guy who helped give this team the ability to build properly around him. Then I'd hire the fucker a proper PR firm and make the kid some money on endorsements, I mean look at Eli at the end of his career.

Seriously, let them both go and start the rebuild fresh with players Schoen and Daboll want. 2022 was an anomaly. Or good coaching. And if it's good coaching, Daboll will have another coach of the year under his belt. DJ had 1 good season out of 5, 26 was busted up most of the time over that period. Let's all be honest, getting to the playoffs after all the years of losing was fantastic, but if you look deep inside, it was a fluke. We went 1-4-1 in the division beating only the lowly 'Skins. Every other win was a nail biter against other lowly teams except for the wild card game against Minny. Had they played like that all year I'd be willing to bet there are no conversations as to who stays and who goes. Thanks for the wins boys, but we're moving on. Keep as much cap space as possible, get as much draft capital as you can and build your own team Mr. Schoen.

Arch Manning in '25. Don't fuck that up along the way please. 

6 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

Best thing for Jones to do would be to sign a 3 year deal for $30mil per, let the team build a roster around him to set him up for success for those three years and build on his '22 performance, let Burrow and Herbert reset the market and sign a mega-deal in 3 years with theoretically a few years of growth and proven success and a roster that can compete around him. 

Asking for 45-48 million right now says 2 things.  

1:  Fuck the Giants for declining the 5th year option and now having faith in me, pay up fuckers.  

2:  He has as many questions about himself as anyone else and wants his money now.  

Neither are great looks imo.  I understand starting way high is a negotiating tactic in an owners league rather than a players league like MLB.  But I'd take Carr on a 3 year deal and save 10 million a year while building a roster around the QB of the future when we find him in the draft next year. Even consider trading back in the first round to get some capital to move up.  Even with a playoff win this team is fully rebuilding and it needs to be done right.  Paying DJ > 40 million hamstrings the team if he is anything less that really good going forward, as in, that performance in the Vikings game would have to be his floor, not his ceiling.  

5 hours ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

well said VG

This...

1 hour ago, BronxRik said:

Seriously, let them both go and start the rebuild fresh with players Schoen and Daboll want. 2022 was an anomaly. Or good coaching. And if it's good coaching, Daboll will have another coach of the year under his belt. DJ had 1 good season out of 5, 26 was busted up most of the time over that period. Let's all be honest, getting to the playoffs after all the years of losing was fantastic, but if you look deep inside, it was a fluke. We went 1-4-1 in the division beating only the lowly 'Skins. Every other win was a nail biter against other lowly teams except for the wild card game against Minny. Had they played like that all year I'd be willing to bet there are no conversations as to who stays and who goes. Thanks for the wins boys, but we're moving on. Keep as much cap space as possible, get as much draft capital as you can and build your own team Mr. Schoen.

We have seen this before.... everything that happened before will happen again.

2 hours ago, BronxRik said:

I don't agree that the wins were against scrubs (Tennessee, Green Bay, Baltimore, etc are all good teams) but yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the team plans to tag Jones and draft a QB. I'm seeing them attached to Hendon Hooker quite a bit, and I've heard that dude fucks.

Personally I’d rather we find some kid to mold into hopefully a great QB. We have the staff to make that possible. 

One semi decent year and Jones thinks he should be paid like he is the best QB to ever grace the field?? Truth is he mostly sucked his whole career. Even last year he wasn’t much more than a good game manager. Basically didn’t do a lot to lose the games. He had like 2 stand out games, and one was against a crap team. 

Im not saying he should have beat philly, but he shouldn’t have looked like a bitch either. A great QB finds a way to stay in that game. I’d much rather see him walk. Save that money for defense and for O-line. 

We all love Eli, but truth is we have never had a great QB. At best we had an average QB with a few great moments. I want the next Rodgers, or Brees, or Peyton or Mahomes. A QB that commands respect. Jones is never going to be that guy. 

https://twitter.com/danschneiernfl/status/1632792434760458241?s=46&t=9ZT8JdXyVTEMcQG_lYW8sA

Sounds like #Giants are within hours from a Daniel Jones deal.
Agents left Indy then scheduled a meeting today in NJ.
I'm speculating, but I think this means he signs a deal much closer to what Joe Schoen's side is pressing for.
Schoen has the tag as leverage & it's worth A LOT.