SportsWrath

2023 Off-season signings

Mr. P

2 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Who cares what he wants. Can't the giants just Franchise tag him as we've been saying? And then if he signs elsewhere for a bigger contract, the Giants get two first round draft picks.

Just tag him already and be done with it.

I think the problem is with the tag is we basicay loose any chance to sign FA.

30 some odd million fully guaranteed leaves the Giants with maybe 14 million in cap space with the Golladay release. 

Draft picks are worth 6-7?

So we now have 7 million in cap space and haven't even signed a signed or extended.q single player.

I'm sure the Giants are trying to work with Jones camp to make the first year hit as small as possible so they can actually do something this year in FA. 

I mean what good is it to sign Jones for a single year just to have the team get worse because we have no cap space to make the team any better. 

Just now, BlueInCanada said:

I think the problem is with the tag is we basicay loose any chance to sign FA.

30 some odd million fully guaranteed leaves the Giants with maybe 14 million in cap space with the Golladay release. 

Draft picks are worth 6-7?

So we now have 7 million in cap space and haven't even signed a signed or extended.q single player.

I'm sure the Giants are trying to work with Jones camp to make the first year hit as small as possible so they can actually do something this year in FA. 

I mean what good is it to sign Jones for a single year just to have the team get worse because we have no cap space to make the team any better. 

But won't a longer term contract carry a high cap hit as well? Even if it's $26-28M instead of the franchise tag $31M, that's not saving us much.

1 minute ago, mastershake said:

But won't a longer term contract carry a high cap hit as well? Even if it's $26-28M instead of the franchise tag $31M, that's not saving us much.

I think it's the fully guaranteed which will be the kicker and the signing bonus.

The Giants can guarantee Jones 90 some odd million spread out over three years but structure it to have a kick in year two and save in year one, plus the void years now becoming a thing. 

The franchise tag is fully guaranteed the moment it's signed. 

Atleast with a contract you can have the possibility of his cap hit being in the 20 million range year one.

That extra 4 to 5 million is an extra starter on the team.  

But don't ask me I think we should let him walk in all honesty.

This team isn't an above average QB away from being a SB team.

Just now, BlueInCanada said:

I think it's the fully guaranteed which will be the kicker and the signing bonus.

The Giants can guarantee Jones 90 some odd million spread out over three years but structure it to have a kick in year two and save in year one, plus the void years now becoming a thing. 

The franchise tag is fully guaranteed the moment it's signed. 

Atleast with a contract you can have the possibility of his cap hit being in the 20 million range year one.

That extra 4 to 5 million is an extra starter on the team.  

But don't ask me I think we should let him walk in all honesty.

This team isn't an above average QB away from being a SB team.

Right but if he doesn't agree to a long term deal, like 3 years $100M, I'd say just tag him.

Spotrac has us at $43M in Cap Space, factoring in the draft picks, but not yet factoring in Golladay, so really this should be closer to $50M, so a Franchise tag leaves $19M leftover...and that's before potentially revisiting Leonard Williams and Adoree Jackson's contracts, which could lead to more savings.

3 minutes ago, The P said:

The latest thing I read said they’d like to get the deal done with Jones and use the tag on Barkely. 

They'd like to, yes....but Jones is still the priority.

If he wants north of 45m...he can sign elsewhere after we tag him.  And yes, that would net us 2 1sts...but I dont know any team that is going to commit 45m in cap space AND the level of draft capital in Jones.  But if they do...that might be better than signing him to long term deal in the long run.

On a selfish note, that could extend the patience that coaches and GMs get these days too.  Love our coaches and front office, but maybe they understand too that a rookie QB nets them additional years of grace.

12 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

If he wants north of 45m...he can sign elsewhere after we tag him.  And yes, that would net us 2 1sts...but I dont know any team that is going to commit 45m in cap space AND the level of draft capital in Jones.  But if they do...that might be better than signing him to long term deal in the long run.

On a selfish note, that could extend the patience that coaches and GMs get these days too.  Love our coaches and front office, but maybe they understand too that a rookie QB nets them additional years of grace.

correct. 

20 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

It's going to be interesting to see what the Plan B is IF DJ is not resigned.

We're not in a position to land one of the top 4QBs in the draft, and then the next tier down (e.g. Hendon Hooker or Tanner McKee) aren't great.

I also don't think we have the capital to trade up.

Tyrod Taylor? He'd be a poor gap solution if you ask me. Maybe sign a guy like Taylor Heinecke or Baker Mayfield for 1-2 years for cheap? There's no good options here.

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

It's going to be interesting to see what the Plan B is IF DJ is not resigned.

We're not in a position to land one of the top 4QBs in the draft, and then the next tier down (e.g. Hendon Hooker or Tanner McKee) aren't great.

I also don't think we have the capital to trade up.

Tyrod Taylor? He'd be a poor gap solution if you ask me. Maybe sign a guy like Taylor Heinecke or Baker Mayfield for 1-2 years for cheap? There's no good options here.

There’s no one.  We had a prayer at Richardson maybe a month ago but he’s flying up the board now.  If we want to stay on the course we set this year we gotta bring him back 

42 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Also if Jones signs for 40+ million the QB market is going to be nuked. 

Guys like Burrow are going to be asking for 60+ lol 

And that guy in KC is gonna be regretting that 10 year deal...maybe

2 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

And that guy in KC is gonna be regretting that 10 year deal...maybe

I dunno 10 years, half a billion dollars of security. 

I don't know the length but I'm willing to suspect that Schoens deal he is giving Jones has some outs after a year or two