SportsWrath

I'm Happy With Jones as our QB are you ?

UK-Giantsfan

I know some of you Sportswrathians hate him .....but i think he has done really well considering we have the worst WR's in the NFL.
We should not underestimate his incredible rushing ability 583 yards and 5 TD .
He has looked after the football , managed the game well , made smart decisions , kept a lot of drives going with his legs.
He is also pretty accurate when asked to pass the ball ( considering he has no stars out there catching it )
He has a QB rating of 90.5 which is better than Brady , Stafford , Murray , Wilson , Fields , Carr , Mariota and many other so called stars . 
I expect that we use the franchise tag on him next year ( or work out a team friendly 2-3 year deal )

Go Giants 8-5-1

His ability to stay healthy is what I'm most happy with this year. 

You can't have a QB who only plays 14 games a year.

We know what we have in Jones as a QB, he's got a NFL arm, his ability to pick up yards on the ground need to be accounted for, isn't the best when it comes to progressions, and does need to learn to pull the trigger more on throws. 

When the seasons playoff hopes were on the line he lead the team by handing off the ball to Barkley enough times lol in all seriousness though the fact he cut down the turnovers and isn't hurting the team in that sense is a part of the reason why the Giants are where they are.

I expect the tag will be used on him next season, I don't think they throw a multi year deal at him until they build the rest of the team up. As we've seen with teams like Seahawks, Titans, 49ers, you don't need a Mahomes/Allen to win (but it sure does help) as long as the team around them is solid.

So at that point the Giants will have a choice of rolling with Jones or a new QB be it a draft pick or FA.

Either way whatever gets the Giants closer to a SB win I'm fine with.

Jones has shown me he can win in the NFL but he's also shown he is a QB that's replaceable.

I've been one of Jones' very few supporters on this board.   The kid can play.    I'd take him over Hurts any fucking day... TWICE on Sunday.   Give him half the talent Hurts is surrounded with and watch him shine.    Then there's the experience... growing up... maturing... whatever you want to call it... just look at Geno Smith.    I'd take Jones over Geno at this time as well.    I'm a homer... I see grit.. I see hard work... and I see talent.    This team has 99 Problems and Jones ain't one. 

I think a top 10 pick should elevate those around him.  I think he's done that.  I think a top 10 pick should continue to improve.  I think he's done that.  As such, I am game for an extension.

That said, my biggest knock on Jones is that I haven't seen him win a game with his arm.  His running days will end long before his throwing and I would've liked to see him with a few more 300 yd/3TD days at this point.  Yes, his WRs are bad, and he's done well with what he has had...but still there is a bit lacking there.

So yeah, and extension is fine.  Pay him in the 10-15 QB range base with incentives that will put him in the 5-10 range if met.

Make one of the years at the end of the deal voidable by either party to allow flexibility.

I think he’s pretty tough , he has stayed fairly healthy despite a battering for 4 years. He has ability , he has shown maturity this year and he can bloody well play. Give him some more tools at WR and a mid range deal ( as gmenroc says with a voidable last year or something) IMO he has earned it ( especially if this rebuild team makes the playoffs )

1 hour ago, jranieli said:

He's definitely earned a bridge deal. He's only 25. I don't think the Giants aren't in a position to draft a QB next year, especially with their record. 

That’s the issue. 

yeah it’s hard to judge a guy on his third hc, fourth oc, no receivers etc. but I also think it’s safe to say he’sa game manager at best. He’s had the game in his hands and I don’t think we’ve seen him take over with his arm. He’s got the arm talent and the leg talent. But does he have the it factor?  Not sure. But unless we’re looking to trade a lot of draft capital to move up we’re not taking a qb this year. So fix the team around him and let him spend a year or two proving what he can do. 

3 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

That’s the issue. 

yeah it’s hard to judge a guy on his third hc, fourth oc, no receivers etc. but I also think it’s safe to say he’sa game manager at best. He’s had the game in his hands and I don’t think we’ve seen him take over with his arm. He’s got the arm talent and the leg talent. But does he have the it factor?  Not sure. But unless we’re looking to trade a lot of draft capital to move up we’re not taking a qb this year. So fix the team around him and let him spend a year or two proving what he can do. 

How can he take over a game with arm with no one to throw to?

I don't hate Jones at all. Never did.

He's on his 4th head coach/ 5 offensive coordinators.

He never had the benefit of a decent offensive line. Think about it, this is his best line by a mile. And it's still not good. 

Saquon missed 2 years with injuries.

GM did go get him a wide receiver last year, only to spend the entire budget on him and the guy shit the bed over 2 years. And now he's devoid of wide receivers.

In this era of the NFL, he's between a rock and a hard place. He's well within his rights to try and get paid as much as he can regardless where he is. And with his performance this year he  should get the chance to do that somewhere as there's going to be spots available at other teams. But to me, signing Jones to a long term contract (anything over 3 years) isn't a good option for the club. And it's stupid for Jones to take a bridge deal IMO. 

Mara said it best at the beginning of the year, we never really gave him a chance. I think it's too late and we move on from him next year. He's a good kid and the one thing he has that he doesn't get much credit for is he's a great character and teammate. I'd say he's got the whole locker room behind him. I hope I'm wrong and we figure something out.

9 hours ago, boohyah said:

I don't hate Jones at all. Never did.

He's on his 4th head coach/ 5 offensive coordinators.

He never had the benefit of a decent offensive line. Think about it, this is his best line by a mile. And it's still not good. 

Saquon missed 2 years with injuries.

GM did go get him a wide receiver last year, only to spend the entire budget on him and the guy shit the bed over 2 years. And now he's devoid of wide receivers.

In this era of the NFL, he's between a rock and a hard place. He's well within his rights to try and get paid as much as he can regardless where he is. And with his performance this year he  should get the chance to do that somewhere as there's going to be spots available at other teams. But to me, signing Jones to a long term contract (anything over 3 years) isn't a good option for the club. And it's stupid for Jones to take a bridge deal IMO. 

Mara said it best at the beginning of the year, we never really gave him a chance. I think it's too late and we move on from him next year. He's a good kid and the one thing he has that he doesn't get much credit for is he's a great character and teammate. I'd say he's got the whole locker room behind him. I hope I'm wrong and we figure something out.

Well said.   

Just a thought, if you are saying " i think we can win with him"., that's fine. But he's a big part of the reason we have won 8 games because the Giants had to draw up plays to get him running the ball.  So we are winning games with him. The issue is, do we have another Eli here who has the ability to take us to Elite level. I'm not sure the front office wants to gamble that we may have with Jones. 

If we make the playoffs, then it gets interesting, because this Giants team will clearly be on his shoulders. What he does there will have a big day.

57 minutes ago, TrashTalker92 said:

Todays the day for him to show off his arm.  Need it to beat this Viking team who will definilty score more than 28 points on us.  

The key today is that the Giants D slows down Dalvin Cook and Justin Jefferson.  Those 2 guys win games by themselves. After that the Vikings are bloated.

41 minutes ago, boohyah said:

Just a thought, if you are saying " i think we can win with him"., that's fine. But he's a big part of the reason we have won 8 games because the Giants had to draw up plays to get him running the ball.  So we are winning games with him. The issue is, do we have another Eli here who has the ability to take us to Elite level. I'm not sure the front office wants to gamble that we may have with Jones. 

If we make the playoffs, then it gets interesting, because this Giants team will clearly be on his shoulders. What he does there will have a big day.

I should’ve been more specific.  I meant I think you can win a super bowl with him.  The lifting up on the shoulders/eli thing is another level I don’t know that we’ll see out of him.  I’m not ruling it out though

2 hours ago, Herc said:

I should’ve been more specific.  I meant I think you can win a super bowl with him.  The lifting up on the shoulders/eli thing is another level I don’t know that we’ll see out of him.  I’m not ruling it out though

Look, for the type of character guy he is, I hope it works out and he gets a chance. I trust this front office to do the right thing.