SportsWrath

I'm Happy With Jones as our QB are you ?

UK-Giantsfan

23 hours ago, Herc said:

Irrelevant.  It was his choice to leave the team.  That’s his reaction to losing his job.  The only way this isn’t the case is if he’s been unofficially cut before the league year ends.  

Losing his job?

He was made inactive lol You participate in no team activities when the team makes you "inactive"

lol

As always your irrational confidence is only exceeded by how incorrect you are about the facts.  Benched -> left team.  Healthy scratches/inactive don’t typically leave the team.  It was his choice with permission from the team.  

So the thread topic….

if you’re not happy with Jones? What’s your plan?  It’s not clear cut but another team will pay DJ.. some may even overpay.   I’m happy with Jones’ progress… And I think with a couple more talented players, he can be very good.

33 minutes ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

Career Day for Daniel……. very happy for him

yeah.   Still like a 3 year deal. 

when we win the super bowl in a month or so I’ll probably be down for a longer deal. 

Big game clinching playoffs...albeit against a shitty Colts team...did not make any big mistakes...read the runs well.  Completion percentage was awesome as it has been.  

I too am on board with resigning him, but given his running still overshadowed his throwing and given it was the Colts...I can't say his stock rose all that much.  Still in the 3-5 year range, top 10-15 QB pay with incentives to get inside top 10.

Now, if he goes 300 yards and 2 TDs with 70% in a playoff game...give him all the money and lock him up.  For me...he has it, he just needs to put that one defining game on tape...and there's always that lingering doubt to this point.  That one game where it's on his arm only...he needs it to erase that doubt...for me anyhow.

I think the Giants are gonna lock him and Barkley both up this offseason in quick order regardless...

16 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

Big game clinching playoffs...albeit against a shitty Colts team...did not make any big mistakes...read the runs well.  Completion percentage was awesome as it has been.  

I too am on board with resigning him, but given his running still overshadowed his throwing and given it was the Colts...I can't say his stock rose all that much.  Still in the 3-5 year range, top 10-15 QB pay with incentives to get inside top 10.

Now, if he goes 300 yards and 2 TDs with 70% in a playoff game...give him all the money and lock him up.  For me...he has it, he just needs to put that one defining game on tape...and there's always that lingering doubt to this point.  That one game where it's on his arm only...he needs it to erase that doubt...for me anyhow.

I think the Giants are gonna lock him and Barkley both up this offseason in quick order regardless...

I think that game already happened against the Vikings and was overshadowed by the loss by that field goal.   DJ is my guy and I’ve been on his bandwagon long before this season started.  

I think pretty much all the critiques of Jones are out of date now. okay that's probably a little premature, the league is filled with guys who strung together a half dozen games where they look like the fucking man, but I can't deny that Jones is playing at a whole different level than he has before. 

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

I think pretty much all the critiques of Jones are out of date now. okay that's probably a little premature, the league is filled with guys who strung together a half dozen games where they look like the fucking man, but I can't deny that Jones is playing at a whole different level than he has before. 

The thing is, most of the questions or criticisms were legit, but he's improved in all of his weak areas and is now an above-average QB. 

Cut down on turnovers?  Check (also, I hate when lazy broadcasts show "look at all the Jones turnovers the past four years!!!  Most of those were his rookie season)

Show a big arm on tight window throws and the deep ball?  Check. 

Elevate the play of those around him?  Check (this WR corps is awful).

Come up clutch in some big games?  Check. 

Improve pocket awareness?  Check. 

Make better reads?  Check... though I still think there is room for improvement in this area. 

Jones has done everything the coaches have asked of him and then some.  I wasn't sure how I felt about him when the season started... but now I really hope we keep him. 

4 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

The thing is, most of the questions or criticisms were legit, but he's improved in all of his weak areas and is now an above-average QB. 

Cut down on turnovers?  Check (also, I hate when lazy broadcasts show "look at all the Jones turnovers the past four years!!!  Most of those were his rookie season)

Make better reads?  Check... though I still think there is room for improvement in this area. 

Jones has done everything the coaches have asked of him and then some.  I wasn't sure how I felt about him when the season started... but now I really hope we keep him. 

he still leaves bigger plays on the field by not seeing open guys downfield. 

but playoffs!

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

24 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

And that’s probably what bothered me most…. Despite new evidence to the contrary, some stick to their predetermined opinions…. Jones has been a pleasant surprise and without him, we’re probably talking worst record in the league… Did somebody say playoffs?

No doubt Jones is best QB we have and running the full season with TT would yield fewer wins and no playoffs.

No doubt we are going to resign him, or at least try to.  He has earned that and played well enough to keep us out of the draft a QB discussion.  We aren't in any position to get one...leads us to not having a choice but to resign him.

So he gonna get paid.  Debate is what we think is fair.  And he has played well enough that his haters can't argue too heavily against it.  I am not a hater by any means, but I just need more convincing before throwing 35-40m a year at the guy.  I want that 300 yd game with little rushing from DJ.  

Another offensive lineman and a WR or two will likely do that trick...which is why most can't argue against his resigning...I would just like to see it first.  Just my take.  

1 minute ago, gmenroc said:

No doubt Jones is best QB we have and running the full season with TT would yield fewer wins and no playoffs.

No doubt we are going to resign him, or at least try to.  He has earned that and played well enough to keep us out of the draft a QB discussion.  We aren't in any position to get one...leads us to not having a choice but to resign him.

So he gonna get paid.  Debate is what we think is fair.  And he has played well enough that his haters can't argue too heavily against it.  I am not a hater by any means, but I just need more convincing before throwing 35-40m a year at the guy.  I want that 300 yd game with little rushing from DJ.  

Another offensive lineman and a WR or two will likely do that trick...which is why most can't argue against his resigning...I would just like to see it first.  Just my take.  

You're not getting any disagreement from me (and probably anyone).   The point I wanted to make is that he's more than capable of doing the bolded part above.. the problem has been he doesn't have starting caliber wide receivers.    Can you imagine him throwing to the likes of AJ Brown out there?    I don't want to see him rush either... mainly because I don't want my QB to take any hits, but he has no choice.

6 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

Heres the thing with Jones.    Without the running we aren’t winning as many games and aren’t viewing Jones in this light.  I don’t want him to stop the running.   Maybe he can be smarter about sliding and taking less hits   He should be  

That said, I went from wanting him gone preseason to being ok with a 3 or 4 year deal.