SportsWrath

Andrew Thomas

BlueInCanada

1 minute ago, CrazedDogs said:

Ezudu had one of those reps too on Sunday. But, rookie, in first game, so no worries.

I don't think its been discussed yet, but Thomas had a block on Sunday where he took a defensive player and used him as a billiard ball to block another defensive player. It was fucking awesome and it looked intentional. 

Yeah the great thing about Thomas and Neal is they seem like smart, savvy players, not just physically talented.

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Ezudu had one of those reps too on Sunday. But, rookie, in first game, so no worries.

I don't think its been discussed yet, but Thomas had a block on Sunday where he took a defensive player and used him as a billiard ball to block another defensive player. It was fucking awesome and it looked intentional. 

:TU:

5 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Ezeudu had some amazing pancakes in the run game but holy shit is he fucking bad in pass pro. Like, embarrassingly  bad. 

7 hours ago, Nas said:

Worse than the 1st round bust who's in Washington now?

For me yes. I thought Hernandez was a steal where we got him and truth was most thought we over reached on Flowers that early. Hernandez looked like a bad motherfucker Flowers was just bad.

3 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Ezeudu had some amazing pancakes in the run game but holy shit is he fucking bad in pass pro. Like, embarrassingly  bad. 

Pass protection in the pros requires a ton of coaching and learning technique, not easy

It takes a one to three years for those who pass protect and run block to relearn the game in the pros

9 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I think he lost every pass rep. I can't recall seeing him win once. 

lol, and I was half asleep when I posted about Ezudu.. it was Neal I was thinking of who had *one* Hernandez rep. Ezudu had several

Neal was very up and down. Even when he lost, he's so big he is able to keep hands on and not embarrass himself. 

38 minutes ago, Herc said:

He’s a good reminder not to panic if Neal doesn’t get it right away.  It’s just so nice to seemingly have at least ONE top o-lineman after all these awful years 

a good reminder if anyone doesn’t perform well out the gate. 

Rewatched the game on all-22...which is sweet by the way...but Neal was sketchier than it seemed when I first watched live.

On every play, pass or run, he lets guys come to him.  Doesn't seek out contact at all...like not one play.  When contact is made, it's brief.  He throws a guy to the side or a guy bounces off him...but those guys at times went on to make the tackle or create pressure.

It is a first game, so this is not to create panic or claim he is any sort of disappointment.  Rather just to highlight some things he needs to work on.

1. Drive blocking...create a push and keep the legs moving.

2. Seek contact.  Go after your responsibility...make them react to you, not the other way around.

2a.  Maintain balance.  This could be reason for not moving forward and being somewhat stationary...but DEs are too savvy and can work around a statue...even if that statue is strong as hell.

3. Maintain the block without holding.  Don't let guys shed quite so easily.

Things are very correctable, but just some observations on my part.

On 9/15/2022 at 1:38 AM, Iceman_NYG said:

Same here - i was pumped when we landed him in the 2nd. Such a disappointment

Me too... When he was drafted.. I thought, need to work on his passblocking. But for sure hes going to be a monster in the running game. :doh::TD: Boy, was I wrong. 

Put in perspective for now. The kid drafted before Neal was terrible sunday.

I think we have 4 pieces here for the next few years. The 2 rookies will get better. Thomas could be pro bowl level now and Glowinski is a decent veteran presence. Feliciano looks like he's center for the rest of the year but we need to address this next year.

21 hours ago, 기둥서방 said:

It's everything we kinda thought before the draft. The power, size, and athleticism are all there, but so is the leaning and poor balance. There were pass sets where he'd get beaten as well, but get a big hand on the defender and still manage to take him out of the play.

I think a more accurate barometer will be after the midpoint of the season... let's see how he looks with some decent NFL coaching. He's got a chance to be a really good one.