SportsWrath

Why isn't Toney seeing more snaps?

mastershake

20 minutes ago, mastershake said:

The defense essentially held them to only 7 points in the 2nd half, and played on a short field on multiple occasions due to offensive turnovers and bad ST play, and still only gave up 20 overall. Seems pretty good.

Outside the one play to Shep, the passing game was good? Shep had fewer than 39 catches last year, so he must not be good or something and that 65 yard play must have been all on the defender busting the coverage...

Let's back up a bit. The coach told you today what the issue was. I assumed wrong myself.

What part of what he is saying is wrong?. You and JR are arguing he should touch the ball more and Daboll never disagreed. He said he wants him to do the same as everyone else in terms of preparation. You seem to want him to do what he wants off the field and get rewarded for it on gameday because he was special qualities. 

At what point do we want these coaches to hold these players accountable and have this team start acting like a proper team?. 

5 minutes ago, boohyah said:

Let's back up a bit. The coach told you today what the issue was. I assumed wrong myself.

What part of what he is saying is wrong?. You and JR are arguing he should touch the ball more and Daboll never disagreed. He said he wants him to do the same as everyone else in terms of preparation. You seem to want him to do what he wants off the field and get rewarded for it on gameday because he was special qualities. 

At what point do we want these coaches to hold these players accountable and have this team start acting like a proper team?. 

I'm good with what the coach said. I simply take issue with the notion that Toney doesn't have anything to add (at least potentially), or arguing 'if the gameplan worked without a player...' (I still don't know what this means; does that imply the offense can do no better?).

1 hour ago, Virginia Giant said:

I think the argument would be some of those Richie James targets should probably go to Toney.  I mean he played well considering, but Toney is that "potential to take it to the house on any play" guy.  We were happy James was actually catching his targets. 

If 2 or 3 weeks down the road Toney isn't a bigger part of the game plan, there's a problem.  Week 1, factoring in everything, no issue yet.  

all that said, this is Saquon's offense and he should get 25 + touches a game. 

Agreed… it’s week 1 and we shouldn’t read too much into it.   I think 18-20 touches for Barkley should suffice… 

9 hours ago, boohyah said:

They just want him to work hard like everyone else. Any team who has a new coach, get's an extra week of practice so he's had time. He's doing the same shit as last year but last year we were so bad a lot of his shit had to be overlooked.  When you look at how fucking hard Shep and Saquon worked to get back on the field this year, you make them the focus and let others step up. Golladay's been acting like a fucking clown also. I'd go with the guys making the effort. 

Yet Golladay was on the field a lot week 1.   

17 hours ago, mastershake said:

So how was Judge able to find ways to utilize Toney (when healthy) but Daboll can't?

If you remember correctly, something like four WRs had to get injured before Toney took the field. 

Not sure what's going on with that guy... but there's something going on with that guy. 

12 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

If you remember correctly, something like four WRs had to get injured before Toney took the field. 

Not sure what's going on with that guy... but there's something going on with that guy. 

That's fair. If it's something off the field as the coach says, then that seems to be the plausible reason. My only issue is the notion that Toney doesn't have anything to add (at least potentially), or arguing 'if the gameplan worked without a player...' (I still don't know what this means; does that imply the offense can do no better?).

24 minutes ago, mastershake said:

That's fair. If it's something off the field as the coach says, then that seems to be the plausible reason. My only issue is the notion that Toney doesn't have anything to add (at least potentially), or arguing 'if the gameplan worked without a player...' (I still don't know what this means; does that imply the offense can do no better?).

He definitely needs to see the field more.  Even with his manufactured touches, he always seems to make something happen.  Part of being a good coach is managing personalities (look at Lawrence Taylor or Plax Burress).  The staff has to figure out how to manage Toney's. 

3 hours ago, 기둥서방 said:

Yet Golladay was on the field a lot week 1.   

Again. Is the issue here performance on the field or preparation on it?. Daboll explained his reason. I am down on Golladay but the difference here is Golladay is a 6 year vet who has put up and Toney who has one and hasn't.

17 minutes ago, boohyah said:

Again. Is the issue here performance on the field or preparation on it?. Daboll explained his reason. I am down on Golladay but the difference here is Golladay is a 6 year vet who has put up and Toney who has one and hasn't.

Toney did more on 2 plays than Golladay did the whole game. 

and the only reason I mentioned GolladY is you said he’s also being a clown.   Not sure what that meant but I assume it was about practice or off field stuff. 

1 hour ago, 기둥서방 said:

Toney did more on 2 plays than Golladay did the whole game. 

and the only reason I mentioned GolladY is you said he’s also being a clown.   Not sure what that meant but I assume it was about practice or off field stuff. 

Toney had 2 rushes for 23 yards and Golladay had 2 catches for 22. That's the extent of it.

Clown is probably too strong. I am not a fan of his Giants career so far as I think he has not elevated the offense at all, there are examples of lack of effort and his camp performances with the new regime have been reported as underwhelming. I believe he is on the field for what he did in the past. But it's fair to say he was little factor on Sunday again. If they sat him it wouldn't surprise me.

I hope for the team sake both guys prove themselves and make all this a moot point. 

1 hour ago, boohyah said:

Toney had 2 rushes for 23 yards and Golladay had 2 catches for 22. That's the extent of it.

Clown is probably too strong. I am not a fan of his Giants career so far as I think he has not elevated the offense at all, there are examples of lack of effort and his camp performances with the new regime have been reported as underwhelming. I believe he is on the field for what he did in the past. But it's fair to say he was little factor on Sunday again. If they sat him it wouldn't surprise me.

I hope for the team sake both guys prove themselves and make all this a moot point. 

He needs to pull it together this year, or else he's on the hot seat I think. He has to show something this year to prove he's a viable WR1-3.

Especially considering when we look to 2023, Shepherd and Slayton are Free Agents and likely not coming back (maybe Shep comes back cheap?), and Golladay's future I think is in question as well (potential cut). The WR position on this team could be wide open, no pun intended, in the 2023 offseason.

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

He needs to pull it together this year, or else he's on the hot seat I think. He has to show something this year to prove he's a viable WR1-3.

Especially considering when we look to 2023, Shepherd and Slayton are Free Agents and likely not coming back (maybe Shep comes back cheap?), and Golladay's future I think is in question as well (potential cut). The WR position on this team could be wide open, no pun intended, in the 2023 offseason.

Yeah the wide receiver issue next year will be interesting. 

13 hours ago, 기둥서방 said:

Kadarius Toney scoffed at the suggestion that he might be disappointed in playing only seven snaps in Week 1.

“Disappointed in a victory? Disappointed in winning? You sound crazy,” Toney said Wednesday.

Here's a screen grab when the kick went wide left....

lol, yeah look at Toney back there, he obviously has his mind on things other than winning football games.

Come the fuck on people. Toney is another kind of dude, stop trying to frame him up like he's just another middle class schlub. He's not like you and he's not going to be like you. 

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

lol, yeah look at Toney back there, he obviously has his mind on things other than winning football games.

Come the fuck on people. Toney is another kind of dude, stop trying to frame him up like he's just another middle class schlub. He's not like you and he's not going to be like you. 

Yeah I don't think it's about a lack of desire to win or "mind on other things...." He just hasn't shown a grasp of the playbook, according to Daboll.

There's no indications from Daboll it's about a lack of desire to win.

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Cheerleaders jump up and down on the sidelines...   star players bury themselves in the playbook and ball out in practice

38 minutes ago, GorillaNJ said:

Cheerleaders jump up and down on the sidelines...   star players bury themselves in the playbook and ball out in practice

I'm just glad we've moved past the 'he doesn't care about football' phase of this insanity and now we're on to the 'he doesn't work hard enough at his craft' phase. 

At least that much may hold some water. But its also been one week and we know fuck all about what they're even asking him to do. 

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

Yeah I don't think it's about a lack of desire to win or "mind on other things...." He just hasn't shown a grasp of the playbook, according to Daboll.

There's no indications from Daboll it's about a lack of desire to win.

yeah, that's only come from the fans. And mostly the fans that have something against Toney's taste in music. 

Not sure I've seen the quote from Daboll or any other coach about his unwillingness or inability to learn the playbook.  If that exists, I'd love to read it in context.

As for desire to win, that's engrained in all these guys and is only gone after losing becomes part of the routine.  It's been one season for Toney.  I'm sure he is still hungry for team success.

With all that said, we would all like him to contribute more, coaches and Toney included.  And if he doesn't, then there should be some explanation due.