SportsWrath

Season expectation vs reality.

BlueInCanada

Prediction threads are dull, not mention the simple fact that the Giants are going to turnover a majority of the roster next year.

So instead post what your expectations are for this building year and what you think will really happen.

For example.

I expect the Giants to come out with an offense that looks like it isn't from 1985, with plenty of jet motion and using Robinson and Toney in that "wide back" role that is becoming the norm in the NFL.

In realty I think the offense still horribly sputters, not because of the offense lone but because of the QB position. Jones isn't starting either due to injury or poor play and Tyrod does just enough to keep the offense moving but nothing dynamic.

I expect the Giants to compete every game and not kneel down on 2nd or 3rd down.

In reality I still don't think this team breaks the .500 mark, due to the weak roster, and just first year for the Giants FO and coaches. 

I expect the front seven to finally be able to bring the pressure due to Winks scheme and having some talent at edge rusher now in Thibs and Ojulari.

In reality the LBs are a thin and talent void position and are going to be routinely explored for big gains.

7-10 at best. This is most likely a 4-6 win team.

Both the OL and the secondary will be problematic this year.

Should have traded Saquon when we had the chance. For anything really. It's pointless to have him on the roster, and he'll likely be injured soon again. At any rate, he has no future on this team.

24 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Should have traded Saquon when we had the chance. For anything really. It's pointless to have him on the roster, and he'll likely be injured soon again. At any rate, he has no future on this team.

Switch Saquon for Jones and that’s my thoughts. 

8 minutes ago, 기둥서방 said:

Jones also has no future here too, but the problem is there was no easy replacement this year, and drafting a rookie behind this OL and offense would likely be counterproductive. I also don't believe there was a clear franchise QB in this last draft.

46 minutes ago, mastershake said:

You don't see many RBs trades anymore.

Especially ones with the injury history of Barkley and at the end of their contract.

We probably would of had to trade a third along with Barkley just to get rid of him lol 

22 minutes ago, 기둥서방 said:

Yeah IMO we should of moved on from.Jones this year.

Bring in Tyrod and a bunch of potential QBs let them fight it out and you never know maybe you find a Mills.

Maybe even Webb shows he can be a bridge QB.

Atleast then the team can look forward to drafting a new QB and the future.

24 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Jones also has no future here too, but the problem is there was no easy replacement this year, and drafting a rookie behind this OL and offense would likely be counterproductive. I also don't believe there was a clear franchise QB in this last draft.

Willis is a future star. 

but they should have traded back for picks so we can actually draft a qb. 

I think 6 wins is about right.  I expect to split with Dallas and Washington this year...lose both to the Eagles...likely end up last in NFC East.

I think we are reminded why we drafted Barkley as high as we did...at least until the box gets loaded and the passing attack fails to threaten and we are once again one-dimensional.  

I think we see some improvement from the offensive line, but middle pressure will be consistent.  Perhaps some rollouts will be beneficial, but we can't do that every play.  Ultimately, offense will underwhelm.

Defense, as long as our paper thin depth holds up, should keep us in games and may even win one or two despite offensive failures.

Jones and Barkley are gone next year, we draft a QB 1st round next year and add to the offensive line.  Rookie starts week 1 of 2023.

I also think Schoen, with all the cap space we are expected to have, will be smart about signings and not just go after the top name on the market.  He seems to be more about fit than overall stats...but we'll see.

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

1 hour ago, 기둥서방 said:

Goodbye to both of them, I say.

Saquon hasn’t shown he can stay healthy, if he’s healthy hes a monster   

Jones also hasn’t shown he can stay healthy, if he’s healthy I think his absolute ceiling is like a Kirk Cousins level guy.  or Tannehill.    And that’s if all the chips fall right. 

Hopefully they both have monster seasons and we are just figuring out how to get them both signed. 

1 hour ago, 기둥서방 said:

Saquon hasn’t shown he can stay healthy, if he’s healthy hes a monster   

Jones also hasn’t shown he can stay healthy, if he’s healthy I think his absolute ceiling is like a Kirk Cousins level guy.  or Tannehill.    And that’s if all the chips fall right. 

Hopefully they both have monster seasons and we are just figuring out how to get them both signed. 

Even if they have monster seasons, to me it's still fools gold and you still move on.

#1: Barkley - Even if he has a big year, I hate re signing or signing RBs to big contracts. It never seems to work out. Absolute max I'd be willing to pay is $10-12M per year which is about what Derrick Henry makes, but a monster year for Barkley might see someone paying him $20M.

#2: Jones - even if he has a big year, I still don't trust him health or consistency wise, and I don't want to give him a $40M per year contract at least.

27 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Even if they have monster seasons, to me it's still fools gold and you still move on.

#1: Barkley - Even if he has a big year, I hate re signing or signing RBs to big contracts. It never seems to work out. Absolute max I'd be willing to pay is $10-12M per year which is about what Derrick Henry makes, but a monster year for Barkley might see someone paying him $20M.

#2: Jones - even if he has a big year, I still don't trust him health or consistency wise, and I don't want to give him a $40M per year contract at least.

I think of the two Barkley would be much easier to keep than Jones, and won't break the bank.

I don't think Barkley has illusions of grandeur, and looks to have a chip on his shoulder. I think if he has a bounce back year anything in the 10 to 12 million a year (going rate for a starting RB) would work over a three year deal with heavy injury stipulations. If he gets better elsewhere than good for him and no hard feelings.

Jones however even if he has a Josh Allen meteoric type rise (which has only happened once with Josh Allen lol) is going to hinder the franchise simply because if you tag him then it costs like 60 million a year, if you sign him to a contract it's going to be in the 30 to 40 million a year range and he's not going to be worth it.

My prediction is Barkley is a Giant past this year and Jones goes and plays backup in Cincinnati.

2 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

I think of the two Barkley would be much easier to keep than Jones, and won't break the bank.

I don't think Barkley has illusions of grandeur, and looks to have a chip on his shoulder. I think if he has a bounce back year anything in the 10 to 12 million a year (going rate for a starting RB) would work over a three year deal with heavy injury stipulations. If he gets better elsewhere than good for him and no hard feelings.

Jones however even if he has a Josh Allen meteoric type rise (which has only happened once with Josh Allen lol) is going to hinder the franchise simply because if you tag him then it costs like 60 million a year, if you sign him to a contract it's going to be in the 30 to 40 million a year range and he's not going to be worth it.

My prediction is Barkley is a Giant past this year and Jones goes and plays backup in Cincinnati.

3 years $36M is around the max I'd go, but I'd pull the trigger on that provided Barkley is healthy for the entire year.

Edit: but in those circumstances (healthy and big-time year) I can see some team offering a stupid contract like $100M for 5 yrs or $75M for 4 and him going to another team.

I was going to start a "bold predictions" thread but I suppose this is just as good.   As usual, you can take all my predictions to the bank

1.  The Giants will have a bottom-5 defense this year.  Somehow, some way... this Giants roster is worse than last year's, especially in the secondary.  For all the praise Martindale gets (and he is creative), he has shown that he is inflexible and won't adjust his scheme to fit his players.   Xavier McKinney is a nice player, but Adoree Jackson will be hurt by week 5 and then... can anyone name me someone in this defensive backfield?  Expect to have 30+ points hung on us every week. 

2.  Evan Neal is going to look horrible until at least week 10.   Dude will be a good player someday, but he has some real balance issues and lets his pads get over his knees way too much.  Experienced edge rushers are going to feast on his inexperience for at least the first half of the season.  Expect "Neal is a bust" to be a common phrase you hear until November or so.

3.  Despite having Daboll on board, the offense will continue to sputter.  Saquon Barkley may prove this prediction wrong, but the WRs are always hurt and WanDale Robinson was taken two rounds too early and isn't going to do much as a pro.   If/when Saquon goes down with an injury, we can expect a reversion to 17 points a game as well. 

4.  Leonard Williams is going to thrive in Martindale's system.  Leo is a beast as it is, but with other rushers being freed up, I expect him to go apeshit.   I think he has the most pressures(but perhaps not sacks) of his career and gets an extension by the end of the season. 

5.  By week 6, the Giants season is over.  No meaningful games in October this year, guys.  We have to hope the  young  guys show us something, but I have a feeling by mid-October I'll be spending my weekends hiking and biking instead of watching what will surely be a shit show. 

I think Saquon has a good year and we resign him. 

i think jones shows a large step forward and makes the decision hard but ultimately not enough to justify a larger contract for a mid tier qb during a rebuild. We draft a qb and it’s possible jones signs a one year prove it deal to audition for other teams in 23 while giving the new qb a chance to sit for half a season. 

i agree with seph that Neal will struggle for several weeks especially in pass protection. But I think there are enough gadgets on the team and a little more innovative offense that will minimize the weakness of the line and jones abs percent all out stacking the box.  I think we’ll get a taste of what a functioning offense looks like but still a lot of holes. 

a better pass rush but not earth shattering. 

we’ll get torched in the air and as a result McKinney will get 10 ints.  

38 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

agree with seph that Neal will struggle for several weeks especially in pass protection. But I think there are enough gadgets on the team and a little more innovative offense that will minimize the weakness of the line and jones abs percent all out stacking the box.  I think we’ll get a taste of what a functioning offense looks like but still a lot of holes. 

I think Jones is going to throw A LOT of picks this season.  The receivers all have option routes, and aside from Sterling Shepard (who'll be on IR by week 5) which one of this bunch strikes you as a really bright, hardworking guy?  There's going to be a lot of "Toney thought it was a curl but Jones read a dig" type of shit. 

It really is hard to have reasonable expectations when we have a first time HC and Offensive coordinator running a team they did not pick the players for.

What I expect is the soft schedule will teach us something about the teams leadership... there should be a lot of close games that good decision making can realistically be the difference between a win and a loss.   With games against Panthers, Bears, Jags, Seattle, Texans, Lions and 2 against Washington... there is a lot of winning to be done in those games, maybe sneak a win or two against better teams.    If they are unable to do that, we might as well have stuck with Joe Judge 

my head says 5-12 .......my heart says 7-10

anything is surely better than that Judge and Gettleman disaster that limped off the field in such an embarrassing way last year .

maybe we will be pleasantly surprised but i don't think my expectations have been this low for 40 years

34 minutes ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

my head says 5-12 .......my heart says 7-10

anything is surely better than that Judge and Gettleman disaster that limped off the field in such an embarrassing way last year .

maybe we will be pleasantly surprised but i don't think my expectations have been this low for 40 years

This sums it perfectly for me.

This year is like 1979 for me with Ray Perkins and Simms' first year at QB.  The Giants did not make the playoffs until LT in 1981.  I think the Giants are a year or two away from getting back to the playoffs.   A 5-8 game win season IMHO.  No more or less.  Just get into the rebuilding mindset for one if not two years at least. ;)

What a bunch of Debby Downers here… my prediction: 6-11 at best. This offense and defense will struggle in the beginning of the year. Which sucks because the easiest portion of our schedule. 

I like Daniel Jones. But he never had a chance here. Dave Gettlemen was without a doubt the worse GM this franchise ever had. And I seriously doubt the new regime has Jones in their future. I honestly thought hiring Schumer was the worse thing for Daniel Jones. Not because he wasn’t a good teacher. But because he was an awful head coach. If we would have hired him as a OC. Daniel Jones would have been steps ahead. 

hiring Jason Garrett was also a mistake too. Again, not because Jason Garrett is an awful coach. He’s not… that man pull miracles with this God-awful roster. But Daniel Jones is better suited in a west coast offense.

I was hoping since Jason Garrett was able to make Tony Romo into a pro bowler. That he was going to do the same with Jones. Unfortunately, Dave Gettlemen was around and refused to fix the OLine that suited Garrett’s offense. In fact, I read an article that claimed Jason Garrett had yell at Gettlemen to draft Thomas. 

Guys, just be ready… the defense is going to be AWFUL! And I mean Horrendous. Wink defense is practically a 46 defense in 3-4 format. We don’t have the corners to run that style defense. The Giants must of known when hiring Martindale, that the defense would have to be completely redone. And I mean Completely redone! I will be pissed if Martindale leave after a year or two. 

most likely Jones and Barkley won’t be on the team next year. I feel like this will be a throwaway year. 

Barkley could lead the league in rushing and I’ll be mad if he gets an 8 figure contract.  it’s a complete waste of resources in a salary cap format to throw money (or the second overall pick) at that position when you’re in the early stages of a rebuild 

While I get the somewhat realistic expectations this year, I have to believe that Schoen and Daboll have a plan in place.   I get this will not be a good year but I don’t share the doomsday predictions… the D will be better than expected and the O will be as bad as expected… 

I think 6-11 7-10 is doable. Outside 8-9.

I think Jones shows that he can be a Franchise QB but just barely. I think the end result and draft order determines if we keep him or not. Barkley is gone no matter if he lights it up or not. It has been proven time and time again a good oline can make a pedestrian RB into an a pro bowler. 

If Jones can prove he is capable. Then the draft is going to be used to shore up CB, LB, WR, TE

4 hours ago, Herc said:

Barkley could lead the league in rushing and I’ll be mad if he gets an 8 figure contract.  it’s a complete waste of resources in a salary cap format to throw money (or the second overall pick) at that position when you’re in the early stages of a rebuild 

I agree completely.  Never throw money at a RB.  Never.  You can win with a fifth or sixth round pick at RB if your line, QB, TE and WR's are worth their salt.